Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 02:45 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. As the title states, I'm interested in learning more about the fuel/oil transport jobs in North Dakota. It's no secret that ND fuel/oil transporters are making some serious dollars (so I've read). Any info you guys could share about possible employers and job details are welcomed.

About me...
I've been hauling refined fuel for 9 years now and I've been driving trucks for nearly 12 years. The most I've earned in my career was around $80k in a year. I've read that some ND drivers are earning over $100k annually!!!! At this point in my career, I'm open for a new experience while possibly seeing a huge pay raise. I've hauled in cold weather areas in the past, so winter driving won't be much of an issue.

One more thing....
My wife is a LPN and if (a) I found a good job and (b) I like the area; she'd be looking for work as well. Most of her experience is with drug addiction so an area with a nearby methadone clinic would be ideal.

We are just at the starting point of our research and any potential move would be at least a year from now. Obviously, job pay and job availability will be the deciding factors for us (whether we stay or move). Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 12:53 AM

211 posts, read 340,777 times
I'm right there with you, urbancharlotte. Well, minus the fact that I don't actually have a CDL and have never driven a truck. So I guess we're fairly different but it didn't seem right to make a similar topic and stack it on top of yours. I have experience in technical jobs with electronics (military background, some college) and am wondering if I could be an asset to a company in North Dakota. I currently live in the deep south "sun belt" but I'm from what they consider "up North" down here.

One thing attracting me to North Dakota is all that land to roam around on. I do keep reading about problems with housing but when I look at real estate it would appear that I could buy my own with the price tags I'm seeing. But then, I don't know what a reasonable commute time would be up there with all the snow and cold you get.

Like urbandcharlotte here I'm also at the starting point of my research. It seems like information is still really hard to come by. I get the impression that there are only a few intrepid men and women answering the call to North Dakota while the rest of the country is standing back with their foreheads wrinkled because they thought it was part of Canada.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:24 AM

155 posts, read 421,196 times
Well the jobs should be there in a year. You will want to start applying a few months in advance of your move. It's sometimes harder to get a job when your out of state as apposed to being here (boots on the ground). You will want to research housing. Your wife will find a job easily I would say.

Here's some places to start looking for work to get some ideas what's out there.

Job Service North Dakota
Bakken Oil Careers - North Dakota Oil Jobs
The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!

Old 12-25-2013, 09:22 AM

75 posts, read 162,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
About me...
I've been hauling refined fuel for 9 years now and I've been driving trucks for nearly 12 years. The most I've earned in my career was around $80k in a year. I've read that some ND drivers are earning over $100k annually!!!! At this point in my career, I'm open for a new experience while possibly seeing a huge pay raise. I've hauled in cold weather areas in the past, so winter driving won't be much of an issue.
I drove refined for over 10 years myself. If you want, you will be able to haul crude and easily make over 100k. I made 92k in 8 mos last year hauling crude. It is completely the opposite of refined. Trucks are not the best, you repair most little things, dirt/filth everywhere, and a lot of the other drivers are not of the best character. (That is as polite as I can be). Having said that, come on up and enjoy the adventure.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 PM

65 posts, read 117,408 times
Tanker and HazMat endorsed CDL with clean record and you'll easily find work here. This is red hot. The DOT drivers license office in Williston has been flooded with these applicants.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:50 AM

155 posts, read 421,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Tanker and HazMat endorsed CDL with clean record and you'll easily find work here. This is red hot. The DOT drivers license office in Williston has been flooded with these applicants.
Do you have any leads on where a person can find a company to help get them their CDL out there? Just curious.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:06 PM

265 posts, read 686,822 times
The bigger oil companies can help when they are hiring such as Baker Hughes and Haliburton.Those are just two I know of that will put you through school. Jim

Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Thanks again for the info guys/gals.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,212 times
Urbancharlotte - If you can make $80,000 where you are at stay there. That $20,000 more you would make and then some will go to housing, and living expense. Living here is very expensive....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: