U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,758 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my name is john raithby & i'm a railway enthusiast from the united kingdom. Has anyone out there got any details of the branchlines of north dakota, in particular track diagrams, photos etc for the period from 1950 to the present day. I am collecting information with a view to building a model based on secondary lines, in particular those up near the canadian border.

Also happy to just make contact with railfans in general.

John.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2006, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,681 times
Default john raithby

Hi, John...
My name is Keith Enget, age 55 and living in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. I was born and raised in North Dakota where my father served as an agent-telegrapher for the Great Northern Railroad. I lived in the depot at Simcoe (east of Minot) for a time, and my family later moved to the town of
Grenora, which is on the end of a branch line beginning at Stanley, ND. I presently work for a successor railroad, BNSF (Burlington Northern Santa Fe),
and, at one time, dispatched many of the former GN branch lines that radiated off the main line from Devils Lake to Bainville, Montana. I'm sure you will have no trouble finding these locations on the map. Unfortunately, "progress" has led to the demise of several of the branch lines that Jim Hill built to feed the
Great Northern's transconintental traffic. I would be happy to correspond with a person legitimately interested in this area, as most of the attention the BNSF gets from the railfan press now centers of the former (?) Santa Fe lines. I am married and the father of a 17-year-old son and have a 16-foot by 22-foot layout which attempts to replicate the GN main line from Fargo to
Glasgow and the Grenora Branch. In addition, my own Dakota & Northwestern operates a short branch line. Hope to hear from you and I will
endeavor to return your communications in a timely fashion.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,681 times
To John Raithby...My name is Keith Enget, age 55, and living in Coon Rapids, Minnesota, USA. I was born and raised is North Dakota where my father worked as an agent-telegrapher for the Great Northern Railroad. I lived in Simcoe and Grenora while growing up (?). I presently work for the successor, BNSF, and, at one time, I dispatched former Great Northern lines in Grenora and eastern Montana. This included all the branch lines radiating off the main lines between Devils Lake, ND, and Bainville, MT. Unfortunately, "progress" has led to the demise of several of these branch lines that Jim Hill built to feed the Great Northern's transcontinental traffic. I would love to correspond with anyone interested in that part of the world. I am married and the father of a 17-year-old son. Looking forward to hearing from you if you're still interested.
Keith Enget

Old 08-23-2006, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Enget View Post
Hi, John...
My name is Keith Enget, age 55 and living in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. I was born and raised in North Dakota where my father served as an agent-telegrapher for the Great Northern Railroad. I lived in the depot at Simcoe (east of Minot) for a time, and my family later moved to the town of
Grenora, which is on the end of a branch line beginning at Stanley, ND. I presently work for a successor railroad, BNSF (Burlington Northern Santa Fe),
and, at one time, dispatched many of the former GN branch lines that radiated off the main line from Devils Lake to Bainville, Montana. I'm sure you will have no trouble finding these locations on the map. Unfortunately, "progress" has led to the demise of several of the branch lines that Jim Hill built to feed the
Great Northern's transconintental traffic. I would be happy to correspond with a person legitimately interested in this area, as most of the attention the BNSF gets from the railfan press now centers of the former (?) Santa Fe lines. I am married and the father of a 17-year-old son and have a 16-foot by 22-foot layout which attempts to replicate the GN main line from Fargo to
Glasgow and the Grenora Branch. In addition, my own Dakota & Northwestern operates a short branch line. Hope to hear from you and I will
endeavor to return your communications in a timely fashion.
Hi,
Do you know anything about the rail line that goes past Glenfield, ND? Still in service, how many times a day it's travelled?

Old 06-04-2007, 01:11 PM

82 posts, read 184,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanot View Post
Hi,
Do you know anything about the rail line that goes past Glenfield, ND? Still in service, how many times a day it's travelled?
The rail line that goes through Glenfield is the KO subdivision of the BNSF main line which travels from Fargo to Minot. It is estimated that there are over 40 million gross ton miles/mile over that section - including nearly 16 million bushels of grain generated on that section alone. It's definitely a huge section. As of late a huge portion of the traffic has been intermodal containers traveling to/from the Pacific Northwest. If you would like more info, pm me.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 PM

23 posts, read 67,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanot View Post
Hi,
I think 45-50 trains travel over it on any given day.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 PM

1,847 posts, read 2,905,232 times
Go to: RAILROAD.NET - The Railroad Network

It has plenty of railroad information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota