U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-17-2008, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncheel View Post
I've been reading this thread and have found it all very interesting. My husband and I would like to move to ND after he retires but I'm somewhat cool to the idea for a number of reasons. First, never been to ND, never lived anywhere outside the state of NC, not really keen on living in an area where it's really flat and very windy and would like to live in rural area, do not care for large cities. I prefer something that has some mountains, fairly cool, not so humid summers, like 90's or lower with humidity lower than the temps. Is there anywhere like that in ND? Also, read something on flooding in some areas so not really crazy about living in that area. Also, read that some of the locals can be somewhat standoffish, is this true? Live in an area like that now and really don't care for it. Once I move somewhere I like to feel a part of the area/neighborhood. So does an area like this exist in ND or am I too picky?
Born and raised in VA; lived in CA, MA, NC, FL, and Vegas. Moved to ND 12 years ago. The people are super friendly and very nice. I moved to Drake with over 50 percent Germans. They are real nice. I even married one. It is real cold and windy. Hardly any crime. No slums either. it only floods in a few places. Good place to live, very rural. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jammie; 04-17-2008 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Name calling is not allowed here
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,172 times
Default Think twice!

I lived in ND for 33 yrs. I finally moved out of state in 2002. I was raised on a farm, near a town of about 250 people. After high school, I lived in Fargo, Bismarck, and Jamestown. Bismarck was awful!! Very clicky people. If you're not a politician, or have something to do with politics, you aren't important. If you're planning on raising a family in ND, it's OK. (There just aren't a lot of opportunities for young people). Crime rate is low, and smaller schools, (I had 8 in my HS graduating class). Most of the smaller towns have combined schools by now. If you're looking for fun..forget it, unless you think swatting mosquitos in the summer and shoveling several feet of snow in the winter is fun. There are no great vacation spots. And the weather...that's my main reason for getting out. You don't know cold until you've stood outside in below zero temperatures for several minutes. You can't even talk properly when it gets that cold! I moved to Kansas, and have never been happier...I'll take a few icy mornings, and some bad thunderstorms (which ND gets too) anyday. If you do still want to move there...I'd pick Fargo for sure.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times
Default I was considering moving to ND from the Carolinas..

Thank you for your opinion which rates high to me considering you have lived in ND for 33 years. I kind of changed my mind. Although I must say that everyone painted such a pretty picture, but I don't think I want to be that cold. I have a daughter with lung problems and who will be having major surgery for scoliosis which is one of my transition pieces; and the other is just going away from my family and few associates to nourish my mind. I am a single professional woman who just want to settle in an area, with closeby medical facilities, which hosts local and maybe national events, has great weather, has a variety of recreational and fun things for kids, is safe and affordable, and ecofriendly. In between time I can reevaluate what life is all about and what my life has been about these last 13 years.

And thanks to everyone who has contributed to this topic.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 PM

33 posts, read 88,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevanillakiss4u View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about leaving the state of Michigan. I've heard a lot of great things about ND. I'd be moving alone, single woman. Is there safe neighborhoods?
Can you tell me about the weather? Is it really hot in the summer? Is there a lot of snow in the winter?
How are the hospital jobs?
How is the cost of living? Cheap apartments? Any info would be great!!

Thank you so much!!
Hello, we are moving to the fargo/moorhead area and I am in the healthcare field too. The major employers I have found are Innovis healthcare systems, Merit Care, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, and the newest addition is Well Care which is Walgreens new clinics and the headquarters is moving to fargo-they will be the headquaters for 400 Well Care sites accross america and they have a web site which is accepting online applications for the upcoming openings. check it out-otherwise the Fargo Forum online is a great resource for jobs updated daily- GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:17 AM

379 posts, read 687,562 times
The VA Hospital for ND is also located in Fargo. In this past Sunday's paper they listed 10 vacancies, which can be found on the federal job site: www.usajobs.opm.gov.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:47 PM

37 posts, read 70,801 times
ncheel,
Dickinson is a friendly city of nearly 17,000. We are only a half hr from Teddy Roos Natl Park where the ND badlands are (it's very pretty). It's dry in this part of ND so when it gets hot in the summer it's not too bad and in the winter we don't get a lot of snow (but it does get very cold). Anyway, Dickinson is a nice place to live.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:08 AM

109 posts, read 278,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncheel View Post
I've been reading this thread and have found it all very interesting. My husband and I would like to move to ND after he retires but I'm somewhat cool to the idea for a number of reasons. First, never been to ND, never lived anywhere outside the state of NC, not really keen on living in an area where it's really flat and very windy and would like to live in rural area, do not care for large cities. I prefer something that has some mountains, fairly cool, not so humid summers, like 90's or lower with humidity lower than the temps. Is there anywhere like that in ND?
Try Rapid City. It's in South Dakota, but I think you'd like it

Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,639 times
Default al

Ok what about a black guy moving to north dakota from michigan over 45 single looking for work. That gets along with all people, doing some research I found the % is low for people of my race so I'm wondering if a guy like me would be recieve well in ND.the auto industry kept us working but the world knows what michigan is experiencing. I have no degrees just want to work hard make a living go visit my my adult daughters and looking forward to grandchildren. Can anyone help a guy out is it a good move where would be the best place to settle and school is in the plan to retrain myself .

Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 AM

14,965 posts, read 19,682,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carteral View Post
Ok what about a black guy moving to north dakota from michigan over 45 single looking for work. That gets along with all people, doing some research I found the % is low for people of my race so I'm wondering if a guy like me would be recieve well in ND.the auto industry kept us working but the world knows what michigan is experiencing. I have no degrees just want to work hard make a living go visit my my adult daughters and looking forward to grandchildren. Can anyone help a guy out is it a good move where would be the best place to settle and school is in the plan to retrain myself .
The two most diverse cities in North Dakota are Fargo and Grand Forks. Both have universities, and both have a wider range of employment opportunities. The cost of living in both of these cities is quite low, and unemployment rates in both cities are well below the national averages.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,599 times
I am a single mature woman with a good independent income looking to find a reasonable place to rent somewhere Jamestown or a bit further west. I need a place that I can have a large dog and would prefer a house, duplex or mobile home. Any of these would be nice with an outbuilding such as a garage or storage shed. I do not require something in town but would like it near town or on the outskirts. I have lived in Minnesota most of my life but have also lived in Idaho, Utah, Texas, and other states as well. I do conciderable traveling and love the Medora area. I find the people in ND wonderful, kind and friendly!

If any of you know of a rental property that might suit my needs please contact me at [EMAIL="ramblinfun@yahoo.com"]ramblinfun@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] Thanks Susan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota