U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,756 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about leaving the state of Michigan. I've heard a lot of great things about ND. I'd be moving alone, single woman. Is there safe neighborhoods?
Can you tell me about the weather? Is it really hot in the summer? Is there a lot of snow in the winter?
How are the hospital jobs?
How is the cost of living? Cheap apartments? Any info would be great!!

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 AM

325 posts, read 1,079,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevanillakiss4u View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about leaving the state of Michigan. I've heard a lot of great things about ND. I'd be moving alone, single woman. Is there safe neighborhoods?
Can you tell me about the weather? Is it really hot in the summer? Is there a lot of snow in the winter?
How are the hospital jobs?
How is the cost of living? Cheap apartments? Any info would be great!!

Thank you so much!!
First, about the neighborhoods in north dakota. I think you would be hard pressed to find a bad neighborhood in North Dakota. NoDak in general is one of the safest places in the USA. All you would have to do, is read the stats on North Dakota crime, and you will discover that it is one of the lowest in the nation.
The North Dakota summers, I think are great! But, that is just my opinion. In the north central part, where I will be moving to next summer, it seldom will get to a 100. Typically highest temp for summer time, latter part of June into July would be in the 90's. Western part of North Dakota is a little more dryer than the eastern part. Winter can be cold, with not much snow, or it can be cold with lots of snow, it varys. North central North Dakota typically sees more snow fall, because there are places between Manitoba/North Dakota that have big rolling hills and lots of trees so the snow has a chance to come to rest. Also, Pembina and Lake Metigoshe areas in the northern part of the state have skiing. Both downhill and cross country.
Dan in Grand Forks knows a bit more than most of us, when it come to the weather in NoDak. If there were any specifics, I would ask him.
As far as hospital jobs, it seems everyone in the country is looking for help in their hospitals. I grew up in Rugby, North Dakota, and I think they still have hospital jobs listed on the city website: Rugby Area Chamber of Commerce
Also, for jobs in North Dakota, I would check out: Job Service North Dakota

Cost of living is low, as far as housing is concerned, but that is typically your biggest monthly expense. But, to somewhat contrast low cost of housing, salaries are typically lower than other parts of the country. Moderator cut: sites removed

Good luck on your search/move!!.....

Last edited by Jammie; 12-05-2007 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: realtor sites are not allowed. Sorry.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:46 AM

428 posts, read 1,122,159 times
Hi There,
MikeyToo is right. Even here in Minot, we don't have any ghetto's or slum areas. Lately, our town has received quite a few new people all being single women or single mothers. One family that I know moved from Florida with her children. She works over the Internet and is still here today. There are a lot of social programs, indoor and outdoor activities, and places to go. As for jobs, I know in our local newspaper, Trinity Hospital is constantly looking for people in all categories. The weather does get a little cold here, around the single digits, but we have all 4 seasons here. It's a beautiful state, not so crowded, and friendly people. ct

Old 12-25-2007, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 31,842 times
Don,t ever move to Minot ( referred to as mindrot ! ) I knew someone who was there for a couple years and couldn,t wait to get out....100's of miles from anywhere..nothing to do....the only people who live there have been born and raised there with family or are Air Force. DO NOT DO IT !!

Old 12-25-2007, 01:09 PM

3,732 posts, read 5,500,730 times
As other have posted...there are jobs in the healthcare field....I know most hospitals are looking for qualified people in many areas....that said you would be best suited if you already have experience in some field before you apply.

As for weather....MikeyToo summed up good....generally speaking summers along and west of the Missouri River (Bismarck-Williston westward) tend to be much drier and hotter with several periods of 100-105 degrees high temps (but with low humidity) while at the time that the west is hot north central into eastern parts of the state have more muggy conditions and temps in the mid 80s to lower 90s. Very warm/hot periods do not last too long around here and are frequently broken by periods of cooler and less humid weather..making the summer overall a pleasant one....especially for someone who is from the southern U.S. Winters tend to be much colder overall Minot to Jamestown eastward with snowcover of varying depths much of the time from mid to late November to March....while the west can warm up and melt some of the snow. Snowfall averages from around 30 inches or so southwest to near 50 northeast. These are averages (made up of years with lots of snow and years without much).

There are no bad neighborhoods in the cities of the state as generally too small to have a well known really "bad" area. As always the older parts of any city would have smaller and cheaper homes than newer areas and thus may not have a well kept housing as newer ones...but that does not mean "bad" as they can be just as safe.

In defense of Minot....my wife and her family are from the Minot area and I never was there until a few years ago...and Minot itself has always appeared to be a lot bigger than you would think looking at the population. The base nearby adds a lot people to the area in terms of shopping...and thus they have more variety in shopping and restuarants than other towns the size of Minot. Trinity has taken over there...and they do hire all the time. Roosevelt park and zoo are great with the best zoo in the state. We take our little one there each year and he loves it. Overall I liked Minot...with Minot state there there are chances to further your education at a smaller state school than exists in Grand Forks or Fargo.

Bismarck has been growing the fastest of late in the state with many employers desparate to hire good folks.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:34 PM

253 posts, read 1,112,079 times
So, where in NoDak are you eyeballing on living and where are you from Michigan?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:28 PM

325 posts, read 1,079,679 times
Just to add what DaninEGF had to say. Yes! Of course its true, North Dakota is not for everyone. But, I woudn't be critical of any place if it just didn't fit me. Weather might be terrible for some, but for others, they love it! Go figure. I'm moving back to my home state of North Dakota next summer. I've spent 31 years in the Minneapolis area and the past 11 years in California. I use to be critical of North Dakota, mainly because of the weather. Well! For me, it boiled down to the fact, not everything is just about the weather. I presently work at Vandenberg AFB in California. At the base, I see almost as many car license plates from North Dakota, as I do California. With my present position, I get a chance to meet a lot of these transplanst from MINOT AFB, to Vandenberg AFB because many have had to spend time there. The number one overwhelming comment I get from these young people is that North Dakota is a great place to raise a family. Now, thats not from me, but others from all over the country who have told me that. So, hopefully, you will be able to discover for yourself. And yes, if you just can't accept cold, you would be better off going further south. Hope this is some help to some..
Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM

929 posts, read 2,519,668 times
Weather can be a problem no matter where you live. If you live in the south, you put up with HOT HUMID weather, some places you put up with hurricanes, other places are hot-dry borrrrrrrringggggg... some places have earthquakes or yearly canyon fires, etc... there are positives and negatives no matter where you live.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 AM

103 posts, read 556,930 times
When you live in ND and the temps get down below zero on and off for a few months...in the spring, you know your house will still be there, and your lives are still in tact. If you live in some areas of the country that are prone to numerous hurricanes, earthquakes, seasonal fires, etc... you have to be constantly worrying if your house will still be there and if you have to start your life all over again. Thanks, but I'll stick with ND's cold winter, knowing all will be well come spring. Tornados' can be a concern in ND, but rare compared to our neighbors to the south and east.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 18,307 times
Question Also thinking about moving to ND

I've been reading this thread and have found it all very interesting. My husband and I would like to move to ND after he retires but I'm somewhat cool to the idea for a number of reasons. First, never been to ND, never lived anywhere outside the state of NC, not really keen on living in an area where it's really flat and very windy and would like to live in rural area, do not care for large cities. I prefer something that has some mountains, fairly cool, not so humid summers, like 90's or lower with humidity lower than the temps. Is there anywhere like that in ND? Also, read something on flooding in some areas so not really crazy about living in that area. Also, read that some of the locals can be somewhat standoffish, is this true? Live in an area like that now and really don't care for it. Once I move somewhere I like to feel a part of the area/neighborhood. So does an area like this exist in ND or am I too picky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota