Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternitii View Post
No at the moment we don't have any jobs lined up just yet as it's too early to search so no we won't have any transfers just money in our pocket for about 3 months and the hope that we'll find something either just before we arrive or just after. It appears from jobsnd.gov that the market is ripe with opportunity lol. My husband has even considered going the williston route for a few months come the spring but that is still yet to be determined. As for what's bringing us there, just a major change. God has given us His blessing to move forward in this direction and that's what we're taking. I know there are thousands of less extreme places to move in the country but, we have some family in GF who moved from our area over a decade ago and they love it...they never came back lol! and that just stuck with me.
best of luck. There are certainly opportunities.....if you just want to get employment somewhere there are many retail places like Menards, Lowes, anywhere. Also try Amazon.com and Digi-Key in Thief River Falls is a place to look as they are hiring (they are a fast growing electronics supply distributer). They have a free shuttle to take you from GF to Thief River Falls and back each day with wi-fi. Great deal. I think starting is 13-14/hr or thereabouts. I dont know if you had anything specific in mind.....but these are some ideas. jobsnd.gov is one of the best places to look.

DigiKey Corporation Careers | Career Center | Thief River Falls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 PM

27 posts, read 31,643 times
As most have already said Grand Forks is a nice city with a lot of the major chain stores. I am originally from California and life brought me here in 1991. I can't say I liked it at first, it took some time to adjust to the winters. I get cold very easily and it wasn't until I bought my first pair of Russels that I learned to manage the cold. They are like ski pants that you will see numerous people wear when they are out and about in the winter. I also switched to mittens to keep my hands warm. Another necessity is an automatic car start, especially if you don't have a garage to park in. Nothing like being able to get into a warm car during our long cold winters.

I have been here a long time and I still don't like winter. The only time I find it enjoyable is around Christmas for about two weeks then I want it to go away. My husband and I are actually getting ready to move to Florida. I have family in jacksonville and we are moving to be closer to my mom, son and granddaughter. I was actually in Jax for two months November through January this last winter and I absolutely loved the winter weather. It will be an adjustment for us but one we are willing to try.

I think if you come here with the right attitude and with having family here you will be just fine. The people are really nice once you get to know them and the population is becoming more diverse all the time. The schools are very good and I feel the kids get a very decent education. At least mine did many moons ago.

There are jobs here but the wages are still pretty low in my opinion. Retail pays just above minimum wage and there are plenty of those available. A lot of people have moved to ND hoping they find a job only to find that the wages are low unless you head towards Bismarck. If you are in the medical field there are plenty of openings at our one and only hospital In town which is Altru.

I wish you and your family the best with this move and I hope you love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota