U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 09:10 PM

9 posts, read 11,614 times

Advertisements

I heard around the web that the McDonalds in Sidney, Montana pays 15 an hour and will hire any body.
I was skeptical until I found an article on the Sidney newpapers website that was about how Mcdonald's is staying open, despite rumors that it wasn't going to, because nobody wanted to work there. Nobody wanted to work there and they pay 15 an hour?

So... I am going to buy an old van and drive it over yonder. I was wondering what would be a better pick;
Williston or Sidney or somewhere else I didn't know about.
I plan on working 70-80 hours a week. So somewhere that gives overtime would be good. I heard wal mart does and pays 17 an hour.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:25 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,530,586 times
I hate to sound pessimistic, but it does not sound like a good idea. It would be different if you were living in the area and owned your own house.

I doubt it would work, if your intent is to make fast money. It will turn out to be quite difficult to live in a van for more than a month or too. I doubt if you will find any places you could "Camp out" for a livable price. Unless the company you work for provides housing $15 per hour is no longer a livable wage in the area.

Don't put your hopes on all that over time. Many places are hiring so many people for the purpose of having plenty of workers to cover every shift and avoid paying OT. Most likely you will find your self working 20 hours a week Part time, for the purpose of the company not having to pay any full timers OT

Don't jump into anything with out having all bases covered and you have an iron-clad contract in your hands. Because of so many coming into the region with high hopes, a new phenomena is occuring in ND, Homeless people which used to be unheard of.

A few HORROR stories of the reality of life for those who come with expectations of ready employment and good wages:

HERE

HERE

HERE

Do not come with the expectation of finding work.

Have a job and housing lined up BEFORE coming.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 AM

142 posts, read 365,161 times
Service workers are desperately needed but you have to be honest about what faces you. The living conditions are rough, and come winter they are often unsafe. I would tend to encourage you to come to ND but be ready to return home if winter hits and you have not found adequate housing. During the summer/fall months you could stay at a camp ground.

The Taco Johns in Watford City, which is scheduled to open May 1st, is advertising their starting wage at $16-$20 an hour. Kum & Go and Cash Wise Grocery Store are almost constantly hiring. The golf course needs kitchen help and grounds keepers. If you do not get at least 40 hours at one job you could quite possibly work 2. I know many people who do.

My husband first came to Watford nearly 5 yrs ago. He stayed for several months in our pop-up tent camper and paid $400 a month (I'm sure it's more now) to park it. He had electricity but no running water. Housing through his employer did come available in late October. Had it not, he would have returned to our WI home and came back out in the Spring.

Fast forward a few years. We now have a new home in a development near Watford and a condo in Florida. Not bad for a guy who started out "camping" in the Bakken.

Be smart and be safe.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Upnorth View Post
Service workers are desperately needed but you have to be honest about what faces you. The living conditions are rough, and come winter they are often unsafe. I would tend to encourage you to come to ND but be ready to return home if winter hits and you have not found adequate housing. During the summer/fall months you could stay at a camp ground.

The Taco Johns in Watford City, which is scheduled to open May 1st, is advertising their starting wage at $16-$20 an hour. Kum & Go and Cash Wise Grocery Store are almost constantly hiring. The golf course needs kitchen help and grounds keepers. If you do not get at least 40 hours at one job you could quite possibly work 2. I know many people who do.

My husband first came to Watford nearly 5 yrs ago. He stayed for several months in our pop-up tent camper and paid $400 a month (I'm sure it's more now) to park it. He had electricity but no running water. Housing through his employer did come available in late October. Had it not, he would have returned to our WI home and came back out in the Spring.

Fast forward a few years. We now have a new home in a development near Watford and a condo in Florida. Not bad for a guy who started out "camping" in the Bakken.

Be smart and be safe.
See, this is what I was wanting to hear. Beautiful. Just Beautiful. Your husband was a very early bird.

Watford City. I am adding that to my list. I know I am going to the bad lands but I don't know which part of them I am going to. I am printing a map of them to throw a dart at. Wait, I just looked at the map before I printed it and it looks like Sidney, Watford City, and Williston are the only 3 booming towns. Men's intuition will probably guide me to the right one.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceHappy View Post
See, this is what I was wanting to hear. Beautiful. Just Beautiful. Your husband was a very early bird.

Watford City. I am adding that to my list. I know I am going to the bad lands but I don't know which part of them I am going to. I am printing a map of them to throw a dart at. Wait, I just looked at the map before I printed it and it looks like Sidney, Watford City, and Williston are the only 3 booming towns. Men's intuition will probably guide me to the right one.
As it seems your mind is made up, I wish you well and sincerely hope it works out for you.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:34 PM

4,644 posts, read 5,435,932 times
My wife's family is in Savage, just a few miles south of Sidney, Nice country.

They have told her that it's a madhouse over there with the Bakken Boom, but there is a lot of money to be made, and if you can live rough for a while you could move on to greener pastures.

If you would work through the summer you might know your way around enough and have contacts to get into a rental, or a better job, or decide you want to get the heck out.

That area is currently reminicent of the old boom towns of the gold rush. If you are tough enough, smart enough and lucky enough, you can do pretty good there.

But not everyone strikes the mother lode.

If you want to try it, go for it, but don't burn any bridges you may have to cross on the way back

Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 PM

360 posts, read 651,026 times
Quote:

The moderator does have a point,OP: You really should think this over before you do it.

I just returned from North Dakota (I have a good friend who lives in Tioga) and I would advise you to strongly consider your move. The “burger flipper” jobs in the area are having hard time finding people because they don’t offer 40hrs a week, much less OT. What a lot of people also forget is that there are still people who are from ND who need work and who don’t have the skills or desire to work in the oil fields. As locals, they usually get priority over people who have just arrived.

And, in most of the areas around the Bakken, it is either illegal or becoming that way, to live in your vehicle. If you get enough citations, that will soon eat into the little money that you are able to save. Also gyms are curtailing their memberships as they are being overwhelmed by the numbers of people who are simply getting them to use their showers. The few truck stops in the area have both lines waiting for showers and some of the filthiest ones you can imagine (with dozens or hundreds of people using them daily, keeping things clean is very difficult).

Some advice: While Bismarck, Grand Forks and Fargo don’t have the high paying service roles that the oil patch does, they do offer more affordable places to live and they still have low unemployment rates. You might wish to relocate to them, work there for a while and travel to the Bakken on your days off to see if you can stand to live/work in the area.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:25 PM

does the demand for workers change with the seasons in the area?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
does the demand for workers change with the seasons in the area?
A lot of people up and quite about half way through their first winter.

I believe it is safe to assume there are more job openings From Dec to May.

But housing will probably be harder to find. people that are willing to spend part of the year in a camper, will seek warm housing in the winter.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 PM

62 posts, read 105,198 times
Don't give in to the naysayers. If you have the willpower, the balls and the few bucks it takes to come out here and find work, then by all means - "just do it". Nobody, I repeat, nobody ever got ahead by sitting back and just dreaming of doing something. You must put boots on the ground and show up willing and able to work the job at hand. Do your homework by all means before coming, like scouting out a place to stay while searching for work. Get your transportation in order, you will be putting miles on it for sure. If somebody wants to work, they will find employment here in a New York second. Be honest with yourself and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or