U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,406 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a recent graduate student moving to Bismarck to complete an internship in order to finish my degree.

I would just like to know from others in the area what are the best places to grocery shop in Bismarck? Or the best local places to do any shopping in general? I also love books, so any good local bookstores? Or to grab a cup of tea? I don't mean just a Starbucks, cause I'm sure that's around just about every corner. But more of a local place.

Also, I love movies, so what are the best places to go to the movie theater? Around here we have cinemas that often discount the early bird showings, but are there any places like that in Bismarck?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 AM

1,368 posts, read 2,876,888 times
As far as bookstores go, the only one of real size is Barnes and Noble. When I did a google search, the Owl bookstore was the only one that looked to be a general bookstore. I will have to drop in the next time I am in Bismarck. I have not found a good local coffee shop in Bismarck. A couple of good diners but not a coffee shop.

The big mall in Bismarck, right south of the civic center and across the street from BN. Malls in ND and MN are still "critical" infrastructure as they are the few places people can walk around in winter without a jacket. Depending on where you are moving from, you may find that you miss that. The Kirkland mall is a pretty good size mall and I actually like it over the malls in larger cities for two reasons. 1) there is an area with very high ceilings and is not completely filled in with annoying walkway carts selling stuff that wasn't good enough to be sold on TV. 2) a Target and Sheels Sporting Goods are in the same mall. It makes for convenient shopping for me.

There is another mall on the north side of town that is smaller and does have a movie theater in it. Gateway Fashion Mall is much smaller but does have the Sears there if you need tools. They have Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards in Bismarck as we'll.

The majority of the movie theaters are on the north side of town. Grand Theater seems to be the newest one and you can get just about everything except IMAX in ND.

One thing I should bring up with shopping in ND. ND has a blue law prohibiting commerce before 12 PM on Sunday with a few exceptions like a grocery store, gas station and restaurant. Big box stores and auto part stores are closed so that can be a jolt if you start working on the car or house at 10 AM. It takes once or twice to get used to but in some ways it's nice for those who work in retail to be guaranteed some time off if they want to go to church in the morning.

You'll like Bismarck.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:56 PM

16 posts, read 24,949 times
Dan's Supermarket is the dominant grocer with 5 locations in Bismarck-Mandan (and 1 more being built). There's also a Cash Wise Foods (where you bag your own, but it also tends to be slightly lower-priced), and 3 Walmart Supercenters.

For shopping, there are 2 decent malls... Kirkwood and Pinehurst. Technically, there's also Gateway Mall, but it's somewhat of a ghost mall these days. Bismarck's thriving downtown also has many great shops.

Grand Theater is the better of the 2 movie theaters... Gateway also has Carmike.

Here's a great links for some more shopping info:
Bismarck-Mandan Shopping & Retail - Bismarck-Mandan News, Pictures, Classifieds, Events - BisManCafe.com

Business Directory Listings - Bismarck-Mandan News, Pictures, Classifieds, Events - BisManCafe.com

Old 05-25-2014, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,406 times
Thank you for the replies! They are making me even more excited for this big move!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 PM

978 posts, read 1,745,620 times
Has the oil industry affected Bismarck?

Old 06-01-2014, 05:19 PM

12 posts, read 23,166 times
Tea: https://www.steepme.com/

There's also Mocha Momma's in the Gateway Mall for coffees and teas. Gateway Mall, while kind of blah for storefronts, now has both BC Bagels and Los Lunas Mexican. Get to Los Lunas early for lunch.

Los Luna's Mexican Food - Bismarck, ND | Yelp
BC Bagels - Bismarck, ND | Yelp

I shop at Cashwise Foods. They carry a fair amount of organic produce and dry goods and also some decent grass-fed beef and Niman Ranch pork. I hit Dan's supermarket north or south sometimes though because they may carry some exotic produce or a greater variety - just depends what I'm cooking.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:38 PM

746 posts, read 1,584,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Has the oil industry affected Bismarck?
Bismarck has attracted white collar jobs and families from the oil patch (legal, accounting, engineering firms). It has a growing and expanding retail trade for the oil patch but is only indirectly affected drilling crews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota