Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 23,316 times

Advertisements

I want to know from real ND residents, because you can't trust the media. I'm 35, have few career options, and live in an area with EXTREMELY high unemployment. I was laid off back in April of 2009 and haven't worked since. My last job was as a security officer. I have a college degree, but it's basically worthless b/c it's a BA in General Studies. I'm in good shape & tried to join the military, but I'm too old they say. There are few jobs in this area, and what makes things worse is that cronyism and nepotism are rampant. It's impossible to get a job on your own merit, it's all about who you know here.

I constantly hear that there are jobs in North Dakota working for the oil industry or driving trucks, but is this true? I'm not going to be too picky if I relocate, I'm not above flipping burgers or mopping floors, I just need any job. Sitting at home all day and doing nothing just sucks. I'm not intimidated by the weather, it's nearly as cold here in the winter. I can deal with 30 or 40 below, all you gotta do is layer up a lot and make sure every bit of skin on your body is covered.

Should I try and look for jobs in ND?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 AM

125 posts, read 645,007 times
housing is an issue so try to look for a place that helps find a place to stay. There are jobs a plenty here, I'm from Michigan and its like night and day.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:30 PM

6 posts, read 23,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey280 View Post
housing is an issue so try to look for a place that helps find a place to stay. There are jobs a plenty here, I'm from Michigan and its like night and day.
OK, I'll check into housing. I'm a pretty tough individual & wouldn't mind living out of my car if I had to. I had to do it for 6 months before I moved back with my parents. However, I don't think that would be doable in a ND winter.

Where I am is worse than Michigan, but if it's way better than Michigan there then it sounds alright.

What type of job do you have there trickey?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:03 PM

23 posts, read 94,753 times
Lots and lots of work, but prepared:
1) Housing is hard to find, and when its available, they want you to have excellent credit (700+), and a job...
2) People tend to ostracize outsiders somewhat...
3) The cold is nothing to play with... I saw it reach -38 last winter, WITHOUT wind chill
4) Hope you have a 4WD... Unless you live within Bismarck or Fargo or Grand Forks, you need to have a good 4WD vehicle....

Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM

125 posts, read 645,007 times
it's not that there is alot of snow out her its that they don't plow much. It gets extremely cold and windy, -30 and the kids still went to school. I work at a hospital and my husband is in the oil fields.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 8,861 times
I just posted a similar question. We need a job. Period. Good Luck in your search.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 AM

625 posts, read 1,880,048 times
You won't be making near what you would in the oilfields if you settle in a different part of the state, but your housing and other costs of living will be only 20-30% of what you'd pay to live out there....and there are plenty of places to live in the eastern 1/2 of the state.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM

49 posts, read 80,848 times
The jobs situation in the oilfields its not what it used to be. It is more difficult now with the influx of people. It might take you months instead of days to find a position.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:52 AM

454 posts, read 939,431 times
Stay away from Minot at present, due to the total unavailability of housing. Every business is hiring, but the pay is low, usually minimum or slightly above, leaving even long term residents with lower incomes with not many choices but to relocate to somewhere else where housing is more affordable. I would definitely take the advice offered about the eastern part of ND, at least for the foreseeable future.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:31 PM

53 posts, read 190,160 times
I posted this in another thread, but if you go on North Dakota's workforce website they give you the salary info on open positions. One listing says they are paying security guards $25.00 an hour! I was a correctional officer and never came close to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota