Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM

103 posts, read 198,252 times

Advertisements

June would have been my official one year mark living and working here in Minot. I have indeed loved every minute of this part of my live. I have had 2 jobs since my arrival. First one was for the Shell station owned by Market Place Foods here in Minot. I enjoyed working there and it gave me a good look at what the people of Minot were like.

The locals here in Minot are by far the best quality of humans I have ever met! They were very kind and welcoming to me. All wished me much success and happiness here. I worked there for 6 months then signed on with the new Home Depot here in Minot. I was also offered a position with Menards, but I chose the HD because I am more familiar with them. I was there for 6 months before moving on. The lack of organization and poor quality of management sent me searching else where.

I have rented rooms in 4 different places. After my 3rd move I decided it was time to buy a camper which I did. My coworker was kind enough to let me have her entire backyard till the end of summer. I left the HD last week and I am now taking a break and resting. This past year has had me running at constant high speed. With only a few more months of nice weather, I have decided to head to Williston to find work so I can save some money to go back to Florida for the winter.

I wasnt able to save very much last year due to car repairs and my tenants not paying me rent back in my house in Fl. I pressed on though, and was determined not to give up. My plan right now is to rest up then head over to Williston till its gets to cold for the camper, then head home for the winter. Next spring when I return I think I will be heading back to Williston. There seems to be more employment opportunities there and better pay.

All and all this be a wonderful year for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:20 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Glad to hear the positive news! Continued good luck. Hard work does pay off.

Dan

Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 PM

thank you dan!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:20 PM

302 posts, read 368,635 times
Good for you !

Wonderful that it worked out well and that you'll be returning after winter... : )

nice to read an update from you .

p.s. I had to revise my plans to come to NoDak for a while , myself and 2 friends plan to get there summer / fall 2015 : (

with money saved and gear , better transportation , etc . .

Old 07-30-2014, 07:53 PM

so very good to hear from you mj! girl, please don't ever give up on coming up here! they need diesel mechanics sooooo bad! when I head back to Williston I will be looking for someone to share the camper with. the camp ground in Williston runs about $800 with all utilities. I doubt there is any cheaper way to live.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:27 AM

23 posts, read 28,429 times
dnygrl, when do the campgrounds close for the winter? I hope to be there in about two months, in my truck. I had considered bringing my tiny camp trailer, but thought I might freeze to death and have no where to store it if I found somewhere to live. If I thought the campground is open for the winter I might bring it.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:26 PM

Last winter I stayed in contact with a few people in campers. From what I heard and saw, I don't thing camping is a good thing in the winter up here. Summer is just fine though.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:29 PM

I might add, If I had to do this trip all over again I wouldn't do it alone. In many ways it to expensive. Its cheaper to find a campground and share a camper. Other wise its $750 on your own. Here in Minot I found one for $450 a month w/o power, and that's the cheapest yet.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,620 times
I just moved here about a week and a half ago. I had accepted a job with integrated systems company.
I was able to find a place room for $500 a month(pretty much have a 2 bedroom and living room finished basement to my self) i am looking foward to my first year here.
I had leads on some studio apartments downtown for starting at 515 to 650 a month.. For me it was cheaper to rent the room no deposit required or leases

John

Old 08-10-2014, 09:15 PM

Glad you are here john! and good luck ! I think renting a room is the best thing, because people move around a lot the first year here, mostly to changing jobs. It seems most people want at least a yrs lease. So you see, rent really isn't that bad up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota