Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:09 PM

11 posts, read 22,512 times

Advertisements

I am a young single man who currently lives in northern Idaho and am considering moving to Langdon, ND. I am an organic farmer and it looks like a great place for grain farming. I love cold weather so that should not be a problem but I would like to know, are there lots of blizzards or snowstorms or is it mostly just dry cold?

What amenities are in Langdon? (Grocery stores, farming supplies, etc.) Is there available farmland for lease in the area? (I would not be buying land, just leasing). Is there ample summer rainfall for crops?

Any other general advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Christopher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 07:36 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticfarmer View Post
I am a young single man who currently lives in northern Idaho and am considering moving to Langdon, ND. I am an organic farmer and it looks like a great place for grain farming. I love cold weather so that should not be a problem but I would like to know, are there lots of blizzards or snowstorms or is it mostly just dry cold?

What amenities are in Langdon? (Grocery stores, farming supplies, etc.) Is there available farmland for lease in the area? (I would not be buying land, just leasing). Is there ample summer rainfall for crops?

Any other general advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Christopher
I am a meteorologist at NWS Grand Forks ND....which serves eastern ND and if you want cold Langdon is the place to be. It typically the coldest spot in our area on many occasions. The cold is a dry cold....and snowfall while not heavy is often pretty consistent through the Nov-April period with snow on the ground during that period. Very heavy snowfalls are not common. The snow is dry so is blown around easily by the wind....so ground blizzards are fairly common in many winters. Not every week....but several times a season.

Our family friends are from Langdon, and one's family owns a large farming operation in the area. Wheat is king in that area and there is good soil and moisture for ample wheat, sunflower, and other crops. The area is pure prairie....open land...with some rolling terrain and trees to the east along the Pembina river in the far eastern part of the country. The Pembina gorge is located between Walhalla and Langdon and is a very nice area of trees and hills.

I know there is a Leevers there food wise and ample stores for shopping....there are few if any national chain stores in town. Locally owned places.

I dont know about land leasing for farming....but I would contact local realtors...or inquire to the city, etc for contacts.

Here is the main radio station in town...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/KNDK-...05368312820992

MyBorderland - Welcome to MyBorderland.com

City of Langdon | North Dakota

Old 12-24-2014, 05:32 PM

Thank you. What about severe weather like tstorms, tornadoes, hail, etc?

Old 12-24-2014, 07:46 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Quote:
Thank you. What about severe weather like tstorms, tornadoes, hail, etc?
Depends on the year... but general thunderstorms can occur anytime from mid May to mid September (roughly) but true severe storms with large hail or high winds are infrequent. Tornadoes even more infrequent (at any one spot). But t-storms and risk of hail would be higher than your current location, but not enough to defer farmers as they have crop insurance for such events.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:23 PM

Thank you very much for the information. What is the overall social climate? Are the people generally friendly to outsiders?

Old 12-26-2014, 08:25 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,571 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for the information. What is the overall social climate? Are the people generally friendly to outsiders?
Generally yes. The area has lost so many people over the decades, that their very welcoming to outsiders. Not like SE Idaho LDS farmers. There used to be an ABM installation there (defense), so Langdon has seen a major population drop.

There is an organic farmer up near Langdon. Might be a great resource. It might be best to have several outlets to market your crops. Langdon had some very wet years that they couldn't plant a crop on time and had some very cold years when the crops couldn't start on time and couldn't finish.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Generally yes. The area has lost so many people over the decades, that their very welcoming to outsiders. Not like SE Idaho LDS farmers. There used to be an ABM installation there (defense), so Langdon has seen a major population drop.

There is an organic farmer up near Langdon. Might be a great resource. It might be best to have several outlets to market your crops. Langdon had some very wet years that they couldn't plant a crop on time and had some very cold years when the crops couldn't start on time and couldn't finish.
Do you have any ideas of how I might get in contact with him? Thank you.

Christopher

Old 12-27-2014, 10:44 AM

On Agrilicious, on organic listing, there are farms in Wales and Bisbee. Those are close to Langdon. Good luck and God bless.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:56 AM

I'll check it out. I must admit after further consideration I am concerned about the winters. I come from a place where we rarely get colder than 10 below at night and subzero days are a once-every-20-years occurrence. We do get far more snow here with annual totals over 100 inches not unusual. We once got 175 inches, but extreme cold like Langdon might be tough.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:30 PM

A lot if farmers winter in Arizona if they don't have schoolchildren. This year's appears to be an open winter, where one can move around on the prairie freely. A closed winter is one where railroads can be almost impassable. If you live in town, it's not so much of a concern. Many farmers are now choosing to live in town for convenience sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota