Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 14,250 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am looking for some information on Fargo winters. I have a job opportunity and may be moving next month. I know it is very cold, but I have heard rumors that I will need to "plug in" my car so that it will be able to start in the morning. Is this common? Also, is there an art scene in town? Galleries? Art stuff going on? Vintage shops? Music shops?

I am looking forward to experiencing Fargo for all it has to offer! Thank you for your help!

Another thing: does anyone know of any old apartment buildings? I know of Block 6. Are there any others downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 AM

517 posts, read 1,051,873 times
The Gardener is an older one that has not been refurbished yet.

The are art galleries, and the is an art place called the Spirit Room. Mixes art and mystism.

Don't bring a diesel, and run a synthetic oil and you will probably get by just fine without a block heater. (this year)

Downtown is the more expensive part of town, depending on the quality of the buildings. If you are willing, there apartments around Island Park, just south of downtown that are tiny bit less expensive.

Is your job downtown?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:56 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,439 times
For all things arts in Fargo-Moorhead, take a look at The Arts Partnership's site --it covers visual and performing arts.
This winter has been mild; I haven't used a block heater once. If you have indoor parking, that's very helpful. Otherwise parking outdoors in the windswept prairie (newer areas of town) can present a challenge for cars to start in the morning.

For other shops downtown, look at the Downtown Community Partnership's site.

Many of the older buildings that still have apartments in them aren't terribly well maintained. Some of the older buildings have been turned into lofts/condos, but those are a bit on the pricey side. The Historic Hawthorne neighborhood just south of downtown has some older buildings, but I haven't been in any of them for a long time, so not sure about the condition.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpint View Post
Hi!

I am looking for some information on Fargo winters. I have a job opportunity and may be moving next month. I know it is very cold, but I have heard rumors that I will need to "plug in" my car so that it will be able to start in the morning. Is this common? Also, is there an art scene in town? Galleries? Art stuff going on? Vintage shops? Music shops?

I am looking forward to experiencing Fargo for all it has to offer! Thank you for your help!

Another thing: does anyone know of any old apartment buildings? I know of Block 6. Are there any others downtown?
I can answer some of the winter cold questions. I live north of Fargo.... many apartments that offer only above ground parking will offer plug in outlets one per apartment (at least in Grand Forks). Some apartments have garages and underground parking, the newer ones in general. Now whether you need them all greatly depends on the temperature and how old your vehicle and most importantly battery is. I have a Honda Odyssey and no plug in added, and I park in my home garage in the winter....but do park outside while at work for 8 hours. In those 8 hours, and in the 8 years I have had this vehicle I have never had an issue starting it. Sure if below -20F it can start sluggish....but it does start. I would only consider plugging in if below -15F and parked overnight (more than 6 hours). But in many winters, those temperatures dont occur too often....but can.

My advice is wait to see where you are going to live, if they have plug ins, and go from there. If you have garage parking...no need for it.

As many state in the Red River valley, it isnt the temperature that is the issue but the wind. As for vehicles, front wheel drive or AWD vehicles do fine. If there is a deep snow or you have to work at all hours of the night when plows are not out as much, then investing in a vehicle with a slightly higher clearance is nice. But no need to worry about your type of vehicle until you arrive and see how it performs. Battery is the no 1 thing I would replace upon arrival and before the winter. Regular all season tires are fine for in town.

--Dan

Old 01-21-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
The Gardener is an older one that has not been refurbished yet.

The are art galleries, and the is an art place called the Spirit Room. Mixes art and mystism.

Don't bring a diesel, and run a synthetic oil and you will probably get by just fine without a block heater. (this year)

Downtown is the more expensive part of town, depending on the quality of the buildings. If you are willing, there apartments around Island Park, just south of downtown that are tiny bit less expensive.

Is your job downtown?

Yes, my job is downtown. I will take a look at the Gardener...and it looks like they are very small apartments - which does make sense for an old building.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:23 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,439 times
Here are some other downtown options besides Block 6 or the Gardner:
Moose Dixon on Broadway - Upscale apartments in the heart of Downtown Fargo
Bristol Place Loft Apartments
Kilbourne Group | The Lofts on Roberts Apartments | Fargo, North Dakota
Cityscapes Plaza, LLC
JM Rentals Management | Fargo, North Dakota & Moorhead, Minnesota | The Marks Apartments
Welcome to 8 Seventh Street Flats | Downtown Fargo Apartments
Craig Properties

Because the Gardner allows very short term leases, it tends to be a more transient population, and thus doesn't have the greatest reputation in town.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 AM

517 posts, read 1,051,873 times
Quote:
Yes, my job is downtown. I will take a look at the Gardener...and it looks like they are very small apartments - which does make sense for an old building.
Do you really need to be downtown?

Look on Google maps, there are some apartments on North Broadway that are nicer and they are a nice walk from 14th ave to Sanford.

If your job is at the banks downtown, then the apartments along 7th street south, the west side of Island park are pretty nice, or at least as nice as the Gardener, and the Gardener might not have openings.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:02 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 01-22-2015, 10:48 PM

45 posts, read 160,968 times
Default More on the Gardner & renting

Quote:
Don't both with the Gardner. It's an old dump with a bad reputation. I you're looking at places like that because you can locate them close to your prospective job downtown, you will be seriously limiting your choices. One can drive or ride to most anywhere in the Fargo center city in ten to fifteen minutes, tops. You can easily consider looking all the way up to 32nd Ave, North, or south to Interstate 94, all the way from Moorhead in the east to West Fargo.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzacher View Post
Don't both with the Gardner. It's an old dump with a bad reputation. I you're looking at places like that because you can locate them close to your prospective job downtown, you will be seriously limiting your choices. One can drive or ride to most anywhere in the Fargo center city in ten to fifteen minutes, tops. You can easily consider looking all the way up to 32nd Ave, North, or south to Interstate 94, all the way from Moorhead in the east to West Fargo.
Okay, I can check. I've looked online at apartments that weren't near downtown that I didn't like as much and they seemed more expensive. Do you know of any apartments with good reputations and reasonable price? I've been finding $800-1000 range downtown and not downtown. If not, no worries, I can keep looking but I do feel like I've seen all the complexes in Fargo through apartmentguide.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota