U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 08:32 AM

350 posts, read 507,094 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Minot over 10 years now, and something that's always bothered me is the overall uncleanliness of the city. Many business fronts are overgrown with prairie grass or weeds, or else are unswept and covered in layers of dirt/grime left over from winter and will stay that way until the next winter. Roads are pockmarked with potholes, garbage can be seen in many ditches or sloughs, and many yards look grungy or unkempt. I'm not talking about flood-zone zombie homes that are still run down or in condemned states 4 years later... I mean even the newer neighborhoods or businesses in the area look like ghetto areas at times. Maybe I'm just being overcritical, but who knows.

I realize that I am also part of the problem and could be doing more to revitalize the city, but I'm curious as to why Minot seems to have a history of trashiness to it. I look at other cities in ND, such as Bismarck or Fargo, and they are much cleaner in comparison. Do our city officials just not care enough to make changes, or are the quality of home and business owners here just apathetic?

Don't get me wrong either, I'm not bashing the city. I own a home here and love Minot and the surrounding areas, but this issue has always bugged me. Thoughts?

Last edited by Dopefish; 07-10-2015 at 09:10 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 AM

4,231 posts, read 6,493,756 times
I take it you've never been to Valley City?

I think Valley City would take top honors for that title.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I take it you've never been to Valley City?

I think Valley City would take top honors for that title.
I've been through a couple times but never stopped in town. It's that bad, eh?

Last edited by Dopefish; 07-10-2015 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: changed a word

Old 07-10-2015, 01:25 PM

746 posts, read 1,582,556 times
Minot and Valley City are hilly, so it is much harder to mow, grass does t get watered when it should, so dirt a d garbage just show more. Hillsides in prairie towns are just more unkempt than in flat towns, which are much easier to keep sightly.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:16 PM

4,231 posts, read 6,493,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
I've been through a couple times but never stopped in town. It's that bad, eh?
IMO Valley City has so much hidden potential, but is hindered by poor city planning going back decades.

I feel the same way about Hwy 281 south of Jamestown what an ugly mess

Old 07-13-2015, 03:01 AM

25 posts, read 46,724 times
Dickinson has been that way for years as well, but now with all that new-found money from oil there should be no excuse ...

You have to let your voice be heard at the city meetings, this state in general is way too conservative when it comes to spending money on infrastructure...

Old 07-13-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBizon View Post
Dickinson has been that way for years as well, but now with all that new-found money from oil there should be no excuse ...

You have to let your voice be heard at the city meetings, this state in general is way too conservative when it comes to spending money on infrastructure...
Dickinson didn't look too bad last I drove through, but I didn't go too far off the beaten path. Lots of new development down there too, reminiscent of Minot.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:18 PM

65 posts, read 104,522 times
Meh. Minot looks a lot better than Williston. It just needs to take care of zombie town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or