Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,196 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are moving to Bismarck and I'm wondering where's the best place to look for a home where there is diversity, culture and is convenient to city life? Like, can a girl get a decent hair cut and a cafe con leche in Bismarck?

Last edited by chela63; 01-26-2008 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 02:42 AM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
Default It'll take some getting used to, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela63 View Post
My fiancee and I are moving to Bismarck and I'm wondering where's the best place to look for a home where there is diversity, culture and is convenient to city life? Like, can a girl get a decent hair cut and a cafe con leche in Bismarck?
LOL you remind me of my family when we moved to Bismarck in the mid 90's. I left Bismarck to return to Orange County, but it's a beautiful city. You'll like it, but you have to realize that the nearest city is over 6 hours away (Sorry Fargo, but in the realm of the outside world Fargo is not a big city). Considering that ethnically the state of ND is overwhelmingly white, the culture you'll find the most will be of the european background of these people (German, Norwegian). Assuming by cafe con leche you mean "coffee w/ milk" you'll have the staple Starbucks (6 stores), and numerous locally owned cafes. Chain restaurants are plentiful, and there are a good number of ethnic restaurants for a city of it's size, mostly Hispanic, Asian, and German food. There are a lot of salons in both cities, and you'll have to give them a try to see which one you like. Each mall has a Regis Hairstylists and a Mastercuts, and Kirkwood also has a City Looks Salon, JC Penny Salon, and a Trade Secret Salon. There's Fantastic Sams on Front Ave and Cost Cutters on South 3rd and State St. And again numerous locally owned salons. As for housing there is a number of different neighborhoods you could consider. The followong websites show you more city info, including real estate: Bismarck-Mandan CVB & Bismarck Real Estate. There are some beautiful areas, especially around the private marinas. Since you are coming from a larger city you'll appreciate the cost of the homes, but will notice the high taxes. Realize your moving to an area of just over 101,000 people from an area of over 2.5 million, so of course it's going to be a change of pace. But give it a chance and you'll definitely enjoy it. The people are great. Good Luck!

Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 44,632 times
Today it is +24 degrees.....by the 29th it will be overnight lows of -27 below zero. If you can take the extreme temps you will be OK.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:21 PM

108 posts, read 439,498 times
It got to 46 here in Bismarck today, it is supposed to be -30 (actual temp, not windchills) for a low on Tues, or Wed. If it stayed 45 above all year I would be fine but when it stays below 20 degrees especially below 0 degrees for long periods, it can get old fast, stuff just happens to things and people when it gets that cold.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times
I have a real good friend in Tampa FL. We tease each other all the time. He tell's me about going from his air-conditioned car to his air-conditioned house to his air-conditioned job all summer long. I tell him in North Dakota, you just wear the right apparel. In ND, you only have to go from your warm house to outside. Its a no-brainer. In winter you put on your snowmoble suit and in summer its your heated swim suit..

Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 AM

246 posts, read 1,006,713 times
I don't know if I would call what bismarck has as City Life. There will be quite a difference than what you see in Tampa. But there are things to do. Main thing is you need to identify what it is that you enjoy doing.

As for where to live, assuming you are looking for a house, think about what it is that you like. Do you want to have a big yard but neighbors still around in an affluent area, do you want to be in a more closer built together housing area? Do you want to be alone on a large property? Do you want condo life? etc.

Me personally I like my breathing room. If I was moving to bismarck, there are areas just outside of the city area (say 5 minutes drive if that) that I would move to that have some really nice homes there (that area east of bismarck on Hwy 10 comes to mind). My father in law owns a pretty good size chunk of land with a ranch on the area, acres and acres near where that old puppy run place was. I really like it out there, peaceful, but you can still travel into town. Keep in mind though how things are going with the economy, it may be beneficial to you in the long run to rent a place for a year or two and then look to buy.

Another area if you are more affluent is down by the river, they have these houses that have waterways that go right up to them where you can dock your boat on. Its pretty cool stuff.

Bismarck is probably my favorite city in ND, more so than Fargo. My wife and I joke about retiring there. We like it that much.

As for diversity, if your concern is possible racism don't worry. When I moved here, growing up in the south, didn't know what to expect. But I have been treated with more respect here than I have ever been down there even with the almost all white population. People ND have a rugged mentality, pick yourself up by the bootstraps. I like that. Its also something that is great to instill in your kids.

As for hair salons, can't help you there. I cut my own, didn't find anyone who could work a fade properly.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:04 AM

203 posts, read 960,329 times
Nope, it's NOT going to be anything like Tampa! I know Bismarck is growing, but it does not compare to Tampa when it comes to things to do, cuture, weather... I grew up there, and now live South of Tampa.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,196 times
Default bored in bismarck

Thanks for the honesty. Well, I've been in Bismarck for a month now and although I am enjoying the weather this week, I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the limited choices of retail stores,movie theatres and restaurants. I'm not the most athletic person in the world but I do like socializing and I think that's what I miss most. I am Hispanic and am really disappointed that I can't hear any Latin music on the radio-I like to dance and cook and shop,get my nails and hair done and I haven't found anywhere that I really like except for a Wild Buffalo Wing restaurant with big screen tv's and lots of noise and people of all ages. Did find a nice home to rent in South Bismarck close to the mall though. Anyway,thanks again and wish me luck!

Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Chela, I do wish you good luck. It is very different in the Midwest then it is in Tampa. I hope you can find a way to replace the things that you are missing right now. I hope you can hang in there long enough to start enjoying your life in Bismark. Thank you for checking back with us and letting us know how things are going. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 PM

269 posts, read 829,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
LOL you remind me of my family when we moved to Bismarck in the mid 90's. I left Bismarck to return to Orange County, but it's a beautiful city. You'll like it, but you have to realize that the nearest city is over 6 hours away (Sorry Fargo, but in the realm of the outside world Fargo is not a big city). Considering that ethnically the state of ND is overwhelmingly white, the culture you'll find the most will be of the european background of these people (German, Norwegian). Assuming by cafe con leche you mean "coffee w/ milk" you'll have the staple Starbucks (6 stores), and numerous locally owned cafes. Chain restaurants are plentiful, and there are a good number of ethnic restaurants for a city of it's size, mostly Hispanic, Asian, and German food. There are a lot of salons in both cities, and you'll have to give them a try to see which one you like. Each mall has a Regis Hairstylists and a Mastercuts, and Kirkwood also has a City Looks Salon, JC Penny Salon, and a Trade Secret Salon. There's Fantastic Sams on Front Ave and Cost Cutters on South 3rd and State St. And again numerous locally owned salons. As for housing there is a number of different neighborhoods you could consider. The followong websites show you more city info, including real estate: Bismarck-Mandan CVB & Bismarck Real Estate. There are some beautiful areas, especially around the private marinas. Since you are coming from a larger city you'll appreciate the cost of the homes, but will notice the high taxes. Realize your moving to an area of just over 101,000 people from an area of over 2.5 million, so of course it's going to be a change of pace. But give it a chance and you'll definitely enjoy it. The people are great. Good Luck!
GOOD WORDS AN INFO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota