Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,547 times

Advertisements

looking for the best camper to live in for the winter any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 04:35 PM

75 posts, read 162,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie miranda View Post
looking for the best camper to live in for the winter any suggestions
ND Indoor RV park is an option. Then it does not matter what type of camper you have.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
In theory, Arctic Fox, I hear they use them up in the Alberta oil sands (of course I heard this from someone who works for the company, so take it with a grain of salt). In reality, there probably isn't an RV that can stand up to a ND winter, unless you want to pay for the heater to run 24/7. RV's just aren't insulated well enough to handle sub zero temperatures and strong winds.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
My grandson wants to live in one this winter in North Dakota while he attends school. I'm trying to talk him (and his parents) out of it. No camper is easy to live in during the winter in the northern climates. Some advertise that they're 4-season campers, but that doesn't include North Dakota winters. To make them livable at all they must be thoroughly winterized with insulated skirting (some use bales of hay, but that's a fire hazard), many wrap heat tape around water and sewer lines (also a fire hazard), build enclosed porches, place heaters under them (fire hazard) and run aux heat inside them (hazard). Even with all this, you'd better be prepared to thaw and replace water lines and spend as much on propane as you'd normally pay for an apartment.

If you're up with all that, there are a few brands that stand out. Arctic Fox is probably one of them. I'd recommend a visit to rv.net. You'll find hundreds of users there who are both knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:50 PM

I live full time in a 2015 Arctic Fox. I spent part of last winter in Minot during a -18 November. Fire away with the questions.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I've got a few:

How much did you spend on heat?

How warm could you keep the inside on a Zero degree day?

Did you have any frozen pipes inside the trailer?

Old 10-16-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I've got a few:

How much did you spend on heat?

How warm could you keep the inside on a Zero degree day?

Did you have any frozen pipes inside the trailer?
In -18, I was going through a 30# propane tank every 3 days. And I was using electric heat while I was in the trailer. I unplugged the electric heat when I went to work.

It was pretty easy to keep the inside comfortable, even in -18.

No frozen pipes, but my exterior valves for fresh, grey and black tanks froze shut. The tanks are all insulated but the cold migrated up the discharge piping and froze the valves shut. I fixed this by wrapping heat tape and insulation around the discharge piping. After they thawed out I did not have any more problems.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Follow up questions. Which model, how large is your trailer?

How much were you paying for propane. Sounds like heat got expensive? Did you by any chance keep track of what the bill cost you in say, Dec. or Jan.?

Would you do it again?

Old 10-17-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Follow up questions. Which model, how large is your trailer?

How much were you paying for propane. Sounds like heat got expensive? Did you by any chance keep track of what the bill cost you in say, Dec. or Jan.?

Would you do it again?
It is a 2015 Arctic Fox 22G.

Propane was about $ 20.00 to fill a 30#. 7.1 gallons.

Most places in ND charge extra in the winter for the electric. Overall you will pay $ 1000.00 to $ 1200.00 a month for a space and heat.

In Minot right now you can rent a nice new apartment for about $ 1,000.00/ month. Max heat in the winter was $ 100.00. I would only stay in an RV in the winter in ND if there were no other options.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:56 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Arctic Fox for the win! Great quality with double pane windows, heated holding tanks etc.

I have an 08' Nash (Made by northwood manufacturing who also makes the Arctic Fox trailers) and it's a great unit. It's an insulated 4 season travel trailer with heated holding tanks, but no double pane windows.

Camping in super cold weather kinda sux though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota