Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2006, 03:24 PM

21 posts, read 100,837 times

Advertisements

Hi--I'm considering buying a mobile home for my daughter and son to live in while they attend UND. I found one in a park on Huntingdon south of UND for a great price. My only concern is, what is the risk of a tornado? I know it is much lower than in the southern plains area, but I don't want to take a chance with my kids. For those who live in Grand Forks, would you feel secure having your loved ones in a mobile? Please advise.
Als0--what is the most reliable and economical heating method in North Dakota? I would suppose that a wood stove might not be worth it, because there doesn't appear to be a lot of wood in North Dakota.
We have finally sold our home in SoCal, and will be buying a home in ND this winter! I'm so excited about this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,954,834 times
Hi

Remember me...I wrote to you before about housing in ND... I am a meteorologist for the NWS in Grand Forks and I would have no worries putting my family members in a "mobile home". There are pretty strict regulations inside the city that anchors them down tight and the 3 main manufactured home communities all would have a storm safety shelter if needed. This would include Columbia Heights where your place is located. But the risk of tornadoes is very very low...not impossible, but very low. Certainly nothing I would worry about. The city has sirens right along Columbia near the area.

Columbia Heights park is a nice well kept one and probably the better of the 3 parks in GF. Location is very good right in the middle of all shopping and restaurants on 32nd Ave South. The Columbia Heights place is just south of Red River High School along the intersection of 24th Ave S and Columbia Rd...east side of Columbia and North of 24th. Alerus Financial Bank has their main branch right across the street from them as well as there is a gas station across the street and a former Kinkos place and a few other businesses. It is also very near Bridgewatter Park and Apollo Field (where baseball games are played). So good location...nice place.

But as with most mobile home parks...no garages ....so I would highly suggest the vehicle(s) they have get a heater-plug installed (runs 70-90.00) from a local dealership or just about any car maintenance place. That way they can plug in their vehicle at night when it is very cold (below -10F) and in the morning it will start much easier. Also a lot of folks have those remote car starters for which you can start the vehicle from inside the house and let it warm up. Those are pretty costly though (199.00 and up).

Good luck and glad to see your kids are coming up.

Dan

Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 PM

I forgot one thing...

For heating....most places either use natural gas for the furnace or have electric baseboard heat. Electricity rates have been lower than gas last few years. But either one is fine. You can buy electric or kerosene portable heaters or baseboard heaters at stores for extra warmth in one room of the house if needed. Might also have to put plastic on the windows for drafts, most do.

Dan

Last edited by Kamsack; 11-15-2006 at 10:39 PM..

Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 AM

21 posts, read 100,837 times
Hi, DaninEGF: Of course I remember you! I am very appreciative of all your help. After reading the things you have answered me and everyone else on this forum, I feel much more confident in decision-making. Knowing you feel it is (reasonably) safe in a mobile, is a great load off my mind. Thanks. My daughter is going to come up with me in December. She will tour the art department, and I will be looking for a nice house probably north of Grand Forks, as far as Pembina, actually. I've seen what look to be terrrific houses and prices, with a lot more land than I could get in GF, in the north. Also, I'm secretly hoping for more snow and weather in general. I know in the southeast portion, there is more rain, however, so I guess I'll just have to check everything out, try not to have preconceived notions of where to live. My daughter will start at UND in January, my son next sept. in chemical engineering. So I thought I'd get them a mobile, as it would in the long run save money (since it looks like a decent one can be had for $5K + space rent). I just they will be dignified and not alienate their neighbors! They are very good kids, I just hope they won't get too rambunctious on their own! Anyway, thanks so much again. Your advice is truly invaluable.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:14 AM

I am so glad to be of help....good luck on housing search and trip up north. Your first winter here might be a warmer than normal one....blame it on El-Nino..which typically gives the west coast a lot of wet weather...but the pacific jet also keeps the cold air locked to our north. We will have some very cold shots...but overall appears the upcoming winter will not be an unusually cold one (at least compared to an average winter).

The park where your kids might move is a nice one and I drive through it every so often if I need to take a short cut. There are speed bumps on the streets so be careful....but the folks who live there keep their yards clean and well maintained overall. Definitely not a dump of place.

again good luck and be sure to let me know if I can be of help again. You can private message me if you wish too.

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota