U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2006, 04:54 AM

9 posts, read 30,258 times
Hi there, I've lived in ND/MN all my life. One thing I suggest is having a block heater installed in your car. there can be nights so cold you need to plug the car in so it is easier to start the next morning.

Best of luck in your house hunt & your eventual move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,720 times
Default We just moved from central California

My husband and I just moved to Foster County ND in September. We are loving it here, the clean air, low crime and the small town feel. This is our first winter and it has been so mild, nothing like I remember as a kid. I was born in ND, left 20 some years ago and now I am back and could not be any happier. ND is the best kept secret!!! Like I read in other posts, when we told our friends and my husbands family we were moving to ND we got the same reaction.. What? It gets cold there and lots of snow..blah blah blah. We watch the weather channel and every state has some extremes in weather. You just prepare for the cold and storms like any other state. In CA there was the fog that scared me more than driving in the snow. Like another person posted, once we left CA and got out into the open ranges, farmlands it is so calming and beautiful. The sky is so blue. The town we live in puts their youth first, there is always something for the kids to get involved in that is good wholesome fun, youth sports is big and the community is behind there local teams and support them. I haven't lived in any other states except CA and ND, but if I had young children ND is where I would want them to grow up, the young people are taught you work hard for what you want, you are honest and you treat people and their property with respect. They are still taught money and power are not the path to true happiness, family and healty relationships is what is important. Tomorrow night is the Lighted Christmas Parade down Main Street.. can't wait to see it... the spirit of Christmas is so very evident in the decorations, the community functions and the smiles and "Merry Christmas" greetings.

In the short 3 1/2 months we have been here, I read in the paper and saw on the news that 2 farmers had some bad luck, an illness and a death and the other farmers all showed up and brought in the crops for those farm families... Today, I just attended a funeral for a cousin, he was a farmer and his wife and sons will be getting that same help from local farmers in the spring. It really touches me deeply to see neighbor helping neighbor and not wanting anything in return. That is what ND is about!

We are proud to call ND our home and wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM

35 posts, read 104,571 times
Thumbs up blessings

Good for you! Enjoy!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:32 AM

4 posts, read 18,102 times
I have read so much about the clean air, and low crime in North Dakota, and I have traveled across the upper part of the state on Amtrak. I think I would like to relocate there, and am looking for some "inside" information. I like small towns (10-12k), and need lower end rent. A nice retirement type town would be great! Any advice?

Old 02-12-2007, 08:13 PM

625 posts, read 797,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroaries View Post
I have read so much about the clean air, and low crime in North Dakota, and I have traveled across the upper part of the state on Amtrak. I think I would like to relocate there, and am looking for some "inside" information. I like small towns (10-12k), and need lower end rent. A nice retirement type town would be great! Any advice?
There are only a few choices of towns in ND around 10k. Jamestown, Valley City, Dickinson, Williston, Devils Lake, and Wahpeton probably fit your criteria most closely. Dickinson and Williston are in the up cycle of an energy boom, so lower-end rent may be difficult to find in those towns. Jamestown and Valley City may best fit your bill: both are in scenic river valleys (the James and Sheyenne Rivers) and both have small colleges in them.

Many towns with under 3k people more than an hour from a larger city have extremely cheap housing available and reasonable hospitals services. Some examples are Rugby, Harvey, Bottineau (North Central), Hettinger, Bowman, Mott (Southwest), Beach, Watford City, Killdeer (West Central), Stanley, Tioga, (Northwest), Cavalier, Walhalla, Park River, Grafton, Mayville (Northeast), Lisbon, Enderlin (Southeast), Wishek, Ashley, Ellendale, Linton (South Central). Extraordinarily low housing costs in many of these towns makes ownership much more sense then renting. Some of these towns, like Mayville, Bottineau, and Ellendale, are even home to colleges. Some of these towns are near very scenic areas (Bottineau w/ Lake Metigoshe and Turtle Mountains (hills), Walhalla/Cavalier near the Pembina Gourge, Lisbon / Enderlin near the Sheyenne River Valley, and Watford City / Killdeer near the Badlands / Killdeer Mountains (hills). All of these areas, IMHO, are waiting to be discovered.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 12,868 times
I too can be counted as one that is leaving Southern California behind. Propane and gasoline are at least .40 a gallon cheaper, and houses and property taxes are about 1/3rd of what we face here. I've only visited the state for a total of 15 days, but critiqued the area and people carefully, and REALLY liked what I saw. People waved, smiled and said hello on the street, and had a sense of peace about them that you never see on the hyped up 80+ hour a week Californians.
As far as the cold... We lived in the mountain community of Big Bear and many times the cold and snow was worse than they get in ND. Though the Dakotians are very well equipped to take care of the roads and snow, where Big Bear would let it sit and turn to ice and make driving miserable or impossible.
I believe that it is a state of mind, and if you are ok with taking ND for what it is, and where it is, and the main reasons ~why~ you are leaving your own home state, (I am a 4th generation Californian!) I think yo'll do alright.
Colleen

Old 05-02-2007, 06:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,350 times
Default moving to portal

i am from s cali visted n/d 2 years ago and really liked the friendly people open counrty small towns no smog so i bought a home there in portal hoping to make my move this year i know it will be tuff going though the winters and leaving friends and family behind but i feel it will be a good move and hoping to find work and make friends

Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 PM

15,128 posts, read 20,421,456 times
Post North Dakota air quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroaries View Post
North Dakota air quality is fairly good for the most part but I would avoid living close to the Bismarck vicinity because of the large concentration of coal power plants in the Missouri River Valley there. Lignite Coal is big in this part of the country.
For more information about the location of power plants you can go to this website and click on the individual states to find out where power plants are located. In fact Mercer County has 4 power plants. That is crazy for a rural county.
http://www.cleartheair.org/dirtypower/map.html (broken link)

Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 PM

11 posts, read 22,485 times
Default ND ex pat

I grew up in ND and I loved it. My aunt and uncle and three cousins lived in the LA area, and we visited them every few years. My mom also lived in N. CA on Travis AFB for three years, so I am pretty familiar with CA. I love to visit, but would never want to live there! I would LOVE to move back to ND, it has everything my family wants and I love the people. Unfortunatly, there aren't many jobs for engineers there, my husbands profession. I know that there are many other people who would love to stay in ND, but the job market is a problem. Good luck to all of you who are relocating, I wish I could go with you!

Old 05-11-2007, 07:17 AM

35 posts, read 104,571 times
Default technology

BethK - there are many more engineering positions available in Fargo than there used to be I'm quite sure. We moved here from CA for my husband's engineering job. The research and technology park at NDSU is really quite innovative and is continuing to bring in more and more jobs.
Just thought I'd let you know in case you were serious about moving back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota