Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,774 times

Advertisements

I'm moving out to Bismarck and I know almost nothing about the city. Are there certain areas of the city that are more popular with young professionals? I'm trying to get a sense of where I should look for an apartment or house.

thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 07:48 AM

576 posts, read 830,455 times
I am far from young, so cannot say for sure, but Bismarck has never been a city with clearly defined sections. I would say activities you would be interested in are scattered about the city rather than being localized. That being said, I would focus my search on livability factors - neighborhoods you would like to live in. Crime has been getting worse in Bismarck, but still not at a level where it is a huge concern. You can kind of tell by looking around a given neighborhood if there will be more crime by the condition of the houses and buildings in the surrounding blocks.

One nice area to consider might be the northwest part of town - north of Bismarck State College. There are newer homes and apartments, lots of shopping and restaurant / bars. The interstate is close by with an exit right at the college so it's easy to get around.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:12 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,137,399 times
I’d say North Bismarck.

I’d just rent an apartment and get a feel for the place. I’m of the opinion that housing is grossly over-priced and meh for the asking prices.

The one thing that baffles me about Bismarck is the sheer number of trailer parks. I don’t think there’s another town in North Dakota that has as many trailer parks.

I don’t get the vibe that crime is bad. It seems like every crime story is I read about is dirt ball on dirt ball action.

I will not be setting down roots here just because of the housing cost issue. I make good money, but the housing stock in this town is a joke.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 AM

10 posts, read 23,153 times
Hello OP, I'm also moving to Bismarck soon and I'm also looking for a place to live/invest.
I've been thinking of buying a cheap place but it seems that a 100k house can barely get a 1000sqft condo let alone a single-family home.

Fargobound, can you expand more on how the housing stock in the town is a joke?

What areas do you guys think is getting "gentrified" or "up and coming areas" worth investing in?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:06 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,137,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datphatmao View Post
Hello OP, I'm also moving to Bismarck soon and I'm also looking for a place to live/invest.
I've been thinking of buying a cheap place but it seems that a 100k house can barely get a 1000sqft condo let alone a single-family home.

Fargobound, can you expand more on how the housing stock in the town is a joke?

What areas do you guys think is getting "gentrified" or "up and coming areas" worth investing in?

Thanks!
When I say the housing market is a joke. I mean that people are asking top dollar for homes that need way too much work. I’d say that you missed the boat on investing in this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: