Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:33 AM

27 posts, read 121,280 times

Advertisements

I know that our small town of 100 offers some in town mail delivery,but the Post Office is also just a short few blocks walk.We have a few people here in town that do auto repairs as well,and as far as trash,we have weekly trash pick up that is billed right in the town water billings.We,like many towns,don't aloow burning anymore,but have a small dump for leaves and grass trimmings,and it's free.
As far a groceries,we try to keep stocked up for a month here and it works well for us and saves trips to Minot ( 45 miles away ).If you have no car,there is always someone willing to take you when they go,or even offer to pick up things for you.
Houses in my small town can run anywhere from 3K to 15K depending on how much work you want to do.Hope that helps you,good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM

240 posts, read 1,420,859 times
Wow. $3,000 to $15,000 is less than many pay for a car. Yes, all the information that everyone has been so kind to share helps. Ideally, I think I would like to be in the greater Grand Forks area, but, if nothing comes available there when I am ready to make the move, I will consider all locations that are within driving distance to a larger city to obtain supplies. It is so nice to hear that people still watch out for one another and share a ride into town.

Alaska315, are you in or near Sherwood?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 PM

22 posts, read 44,789 times
Thumbs up Zeeland North dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
Hello:

Please forgive my ignorance, but although I would like to buy an older home in a smaller town outside a larger city, and I am currently saving to do that, I need to know more about how things are done there before I relocate.

For example, do you have regular trash collections in small towns, and if not, what do you do with the trash you discard? Is it burned in the backyard?

If you live in a town where the postal service does not deliver the mail, and it is left at the post office, does UPS or other types of delivery services deliver to your home?

If your small town does not have a grocery store, can you use an online grocery service to have food delivered? If so, which ones do you use?

If your small town does not have an auto mechanic, does AAA or other types of road side assistance come out to tow the car to a garage to another town?

Thanks for any responses.
For example, do you have regular trash collections in small towns, and if not, what do you do with the trash you discard? Is it burned in the backyard? Zeeland has a trash service which comes weekly. It is included in the monthly bill for water, trash and sewer whichis currently 40 per month for all. ( so long as you do not go over water allotment)
If you live in a town where the postal service does not deliver the mail, and it is left at the post office, does UPS or other types of delivery services deliver to your home? In Zeeland, if you live in town, you have a post office box, on some streets you can have a mail box for mail delivery. I have to use a wheelchair, especially in the snow and as the post office is only 3 blocks from the house it is no problem.

If your small town does not have a grocery store, can you use an online grocery service to have food delivered? If so, which ones do you use? Zeeland does have a grocery store as well as Schwans delivery (yummy!)

If your small town does not have an auto mechanic, does AAA or other types of road side assistance come out to tow the car to a garage to another town? The town has 3 mechanic shops, and AAA does tow your vehicle there. I once broke an drive shaft knuckle and though I had to be patient, AAA did get a tow truck out to me. Cell phones a must out there, but AT&T/Cingular does though they sub you out after a bit

I hope this helps

Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 PM

240 posts, read 1,420,859 times
Bemused_heart,

Thanks for the information. If you don't mind, I'll be in touch with you privately for more information on Zeeland.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 PM

22 posts, read 44,789 times
ok, thank you

Old 03-20-2008, 12:04 AM

27 posts, read 121,280 times
No Christine Joan,I actually live in Upham,ND,altho I was in Sherwood a few weeks ago looking at a 3500.00 house a guy had for sale there.It needed some updating but was quite cute and livable as well.I like it here,nice,friendly and quiet,and close enough to the city to visit and be glad I live here,LOL.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:41 PM

947 posts, read 3,565,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davednorris View Post
Hi,

Here's another consideration for postal delivery. We bought a house (here in Mississippi) in a small rural town. There is local mail delivery in town, but our house did not have a mail box out front. Some of the houses on our street had mail boxes and some didn't. The previous owners of the house said the had a PO box for their mail. I asked at the local post office and was told that they did have delivery on my street, but that I'd have to put up a mailbox and let them know so they could start scheduling delivery to my street address. So they same thing my apply to you when you move to a small town in ND. Check with the local post office. You could probably do that while you were still considering a place to buy, then you'd know if they would deliver to your door or not before buying the house. Since the one house you were considering didn't work out, will you continue to look in the Grand Forks area or other parts of ND now?

Kind Regards,

Dave N.
<><
The above statement is absolutely true no matter where you are!

If you don't have a mailbox, they won't deliver mail to you. If the mailbox isn't easily accesible in all conditions, they can refuse delivery to your box.

Your best bet is to put it as close to the road as possible and KEEP IT SHOVELED! If they can't get to it in the snow, they won't deliver your mail.

Also, don't put it close to the house if the house isn't close to the road. When the postmaster tells you "easily accesible" it means, if the postaldelivery person drives their entire route (instead of walking on foot).. if needs to be in a place where the carrier can deposiut your mail without getting out of the vehicle.

Also make sure your box is on thge same side as everyone elses, as a rural carrier will usually only deliver to one side of the road. When I lived in rural NW Mississippi near Batesville, this was the case)

if your box isn't easily accesible, they will leave you a note telling you to clear the snow or move the box and will re-delvier your mail when the situation is fixed.

I've had to deal with this type of stuff for radio stations I've worked for in Florida, Mississippi and South Carolina when taking over operations and coming into town.

In SOuth Carolina, the area where the mailbox was had been taken over by overgrown bushes and weeds. So, when I got to town, I notified the post office I wa sin town, met with the postal delivery clerk and had him show me where he prefers the mailbox

Old 03-20-2008, 04:53 PM

108 posts, read 438,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
The above statement is absolutely true no matter where you are!
No it is not, I have friends that live in the badlands that do NOT have mail delivery whether they put up a mail box or not. I also know of small towns where they ALL go to the post office to pick up the mail, sure it is only a block or 2 to the post office but it is still NOT house/mailbox delivery. I understand that people coming from larger areas this is incomprehensible, but there are towns small enough where they don't bother to deliver to the handfull of houses they have in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota