U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:04 PM

106 posts, read 127,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
1. Remember, homes are all about supply and demand. The only reason for low home prices are either extraordinarily high supply (not likely in ND from what I've seen) or very low demand. Beyond that, just how affordable are homes in ND? I was looking at 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom homes (basically the standard family home) in Bismarck and they were running $250k. Given ND's average payscale, that's not "affordable".

2. Every state in the country has "nature". Even NY, NJ, and CA have open preserved lands for hiking, camping, or just plain tree hugging. I'm not sure what about that sets ND apart.

3. No traffic jams because there's no traffic because there's no one to go no place. Traffic equals opportunity... it means people want to actually get some place... lack of traffic indicates the opposite... either no people and/or no place to go. That basically sums up ND.

4. I'll give you this one. The cities are fairly clean. I believe it comes partly with the sameness of ND... when everyone is a white Christian with similar backgrounds and views... it's easy to create a society that is pleasing to almost everyone there.

5. Concrete jungles describ cities, not states. There is no state in the union comprised of entirely urban areas. All have suburban areas, all have rural areas. Do you really believe everyone who lives in NY lives in NYC? Everyone who lives in California lives in L.A.?

6. The states "controls" their budget because of the federal Government helping out the "poor" states. From 1981 - 2005 ND received back from the Government $1.73 for every $1 they provided in taxes... compare this to NJ where we receive $0.55 for every $1. Quite simply, you're a welfare state. As long as the federal welfare continues you'll be okay... but if we every get a Government that doesn't believe in helping the welfare states, we'll see just how well you "control" your budget with the little money you can come up with yourselves.

7. The public schools are safe just like most suburban or rural areas but nothing special. In the 80s when I was in grade school someone took a loaded gun to school in Mandan. People were arrested outside the HS with 2 gallon bags of weed. ND is no academic mecca either. Outside of Bismarck and Fargo (maybe Minot?) try to get your kids into an AP class, good luck!

8. Yes, most people do share strong work ethic and have similar values... but those values also include intolerance. They are intolerant to change... to different views... are you a minority? ND probably isn't the best place for you. Gay? Jewish? Muslim? Well... good luck to you! Sure, they may not beat you to death like they would in Detroit or the Bronx, but they will shun you. In a sea of sameness, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. ND may be the only place in the world where Chinese food is made by white guys!

9. North Dakotan's with kids tend to be friendly to other neighbors with kids. That's the main social network in ND. People in ND are not going to go out of their way to meet anyone though, they tend to be far more reclusive than that. Don't expect to have a block house warming party the day you move in... it's more likely people will stare at you through their car windows as they slowly drive by.

10. Pace of life is dictated by you, not by where you live. There are people with gardens in the NYC suburbs where I used to live. Plenty of retired people sitting in their rocking chairs on their front porches watching people go by on the walking trail, watching the swans, geese, and ducks on the lake. Life is what you make of it, not where you live.

If those are really your reasons for moving to ND, you really need to reconsider. You can find all of that and a whole lot more so many other places in the country.
Only liberals worry about counting how many Cents to Dollars they receive or give, per state. I like the rural values. And not all of us approve of gays. I happen to be a black conservative in ND, and i find that most of the Caucasian population here, is more liberal than me. I fit right in!

You sound like a liberal....only a liberal would write stuff like this, u partisan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota