Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartingOverAgain View Post
Money doesn't make you near as wealthy as having a great qualify of life. I worked for a Fortune 100 company for many years, and I'll take clean air, low crime, great schools, affordable housing....

I could go on and on about the reasons I'm moving to North Dakota. I was born and raised in California, and you couldn't get me back there on a bet - not even for great money. Making $11K more a year isn't worth the stress in my opinion.

Each person has their own priorities...
I agree. I would like to make money, but good neighbors , safe place to live, a nice church, and things to do make me happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I agree. I would like to make money, but good neighbors , safe place to live, a nice church, and things to do make me happy.
i second that notion!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
i second that notion!
Agreed. The thing I don't like is suspicion of outsiders in a community and a place so tight-knit that there is no room for newcomers.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
I have been to North Dakota a couple of times. The people are very friendly and it is FLAT going on I-29 to Fargo. Not a bad thing, but a little odd. I would like to see other parts, but maybe another time. My guess is that North Dakota is inexpensive but their taxes are a little higher than those in South Dakota.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:40 PM

108 posts, read 439,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I have been to North Dakota a couple of times. The people are very friendly and it is FLAT going on I-29 to Fargo. Not a bad thing, but a little odd. I would like to see other parts, but maybe another time. My guess is that North Dakota is inexpensive but their taxes are a little higher than those in South Dakota.
There are many places in North Dakota that are flat, but there are also rolling hills, and areas like the Badlands and Turtle mountains that are anything but flat. While it is true that on I-94 from Fargo to Bismarck you could drop a whole bag of marbles and not be in any real jeapordy of losing any of them there are other states that have flat areas too. I have driven in areas of Montana, Wyoming which most people think mountains, but there were places as flat as anywhere in ND. Also Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and even Texas has its share of flat areas. I also don't think that because an area is flat it means it is bad or ODD, or the people are bad or ODD, just as having a mountain in your back yard doesn't mean you are automatically a good or NORMAL person.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:26 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
Very good point, bismanpokerclub. I understand where you are coming from to a certain extent. I know that North Dakota is not all flat and know that there are some other very flat areas such as areas in central and northern parts of Indiana and Illinois along with the Platte River Valley in Nebraska. I am curious about the Turtle Mountains and wonder if they are wooded or treeless. I should visit North Dakota sometime and see the other places. I know that generalizations (often I hear it from others in the southern part of South Dakota that ND is flat) do not tell the full story about the entire state. After being in North Dakota a couple of times, I would like to explore up there more in the future.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:34 PM

38 posts, read 199,411 times
Hi Chris19 and others,

Seeing all the posts about people curious about moving to ND got me to thinking. It seems like I've read of several people than plan to visit the ND to check it out as a prospect for moving there. Wouldn't it be neat if there was like a service for people curious about living in ND. Maybe when we get moved there and settled in, I can contact the Chamber of comerce and offer my services (volunter basis) to be a "For those curious about moving to Dickinson, ND" tour guide. I know people can get all kinds of info from the Chamber of commerce and other info outlets (like these forums), but nothing beats getting shown around by a friendly person that actually lives in the town you are interested in.

Thanks for letting me barge in with my thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Dave N.
<><

Old 04-06-2008, 12:19 PM

282 posts, read 1,168,990 times
Default Hi all

first and most importantly, could someone explain-HELP- why I can no longer pull up posts? At best I can only get one post per page sometimes none. For a time I couldn't even get the site to come up. At first no problem. Computer is fine btw. Now.............

I'm really interested in N.D. and the slower pace etc. I'm 54,single and alone. Stuck in Mich for now. I might (hope) I get a disability but want to move to an area that isn't in a depression like here. I haven't worked in 2 years.I need to live close to a city for work. I'm not looking for a career at my age, just a job to pay the bills. A decent home on a little land is all I'm looking for probly in the lower part of the state, under $100K. Possible? I would appreciate it if someone could PM me with a site that shows listings of homes. I'm afraid I won't be able to view them here. Names of cities/towns would be nice as well.
Thanks.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,330 times
I think everyone would like to move there to escape from the city life and all that comes with it. No traffic and a nice slower pace. I cant wait to move to Carpio! I already bought the house and will be there by summer!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:57 PM

282 posts, read 1,168,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederickW View Post
I have been to ND many times. It may be boring to you, but a lot of people dream of living a simple, non-stressful life in a peaceful environment. Also, ND has a very low cost of living, good schools, and is very safe.

If you think a city is boring just because it is small, then your logic is very flawed.
Yes. I have lived in 4 states, 3 in large cities. I have wasted my life working my tail off for the "dream." It has cost me 2 families and a good part of my health. The Other place I lived was in the country-SMALL town. The wife needed the city. Lost it all. Just why do people constantly think they need to be entertained? Think about it. Most people have a couple of things they enjoy and stay with those. Add in work and family-the priorities- and you don't have time to "run around" enjoying yourself. Dear Lord, to not have to move fast,think FAST,rest fast,talk fast,....you get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota