U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:16 PM

18,269 posts, read 2,579,180 times
Arrow Why move to North Dakota?

why would someone want to move to ND? someone please tell me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM

132 posts, read 381,342 times
To avoid the recession I guess.

The public schools are also among the best if not the best in the country.

That and the magical fairies.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 PM

38 posts, read 137,810 times
You know, I grew up in San Diego, CA. When I was in the military I was coming due for a re-assignment. My wife and I joked that they would probably send us to some awful place like North Dakota. Well, Guess what - we got an assignment to North Dakota. We dreaded going there. But after we got there and got settled in it was great. We were there almost two years and loved it. When the radar site I was at closed down, we got sent to South Carolina. We tried all we could to get back North. It took two years and I had to cross train into a different career field, but we finally got another assignment up North. This time to Rapid City, SD. It was great there too. During my military career we got to live in many different places. We liked North Dakota the best. It is a great place to raise a family. It really comes down to what kind of place you are looking for. Not everyone will be a good fit for ND, just as not everyone would be a good fit for San Francisco, or New York City. But for us, ND is great and we are returning for the third time (and hopefully the last). My list of reasons to move TO ND may be your list of reasons to move AWAY from ND. I don't care for traffic and congestion, some people might look at a place like that as "boring" and "nothing going on there".

Dave N.
<><

Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM

428 posts, read 1,046,987 times
Well gdude,
Let me tell you how is goes. I've traveled to 15 countries, and have lived all over the south/southwest, and major cities. Let's start with major cities. First thing you'll notice is the high pace and stress in the air. Especially for cities that never sleep. There is constant noise and fast pace that keeps you in a terminal migraine. When I moved to ND, my stress went completely away. And it wasn't just me. When i have friends come up for a visit, almost immediately their blood pressure is down and they feel more calm and relaxed. Everyone is trying to cram more into a day and as long as the city never sleeps, you work longer hoping to get a head. Here in ND, people laugh about how the streets are rolled up around 6pm, but you know what, that's great. Now you can go home, relax, spend time with the family, play games, or even go out for a walk. This is what America is missing and is what is causing such stress in families. Think about this. ct

Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,158,333 times
It's all about the weather. (Winter hater here)

Seriously, I have to agree with the lack of stress and the slower pace up in our area of the country. There's also the work ethic along with the morals that are still taught up here and the fact that people still know how to be neighborly.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:49 PM

240 posts, read 1,055,889 times
Here are ten reasons why I am planning a move to North Dakota:

1. North Dakota has affordable single-family housing available;
2. North Dakota has beautiful natural scenery in its wide open plains, its many lakes and rivers, and wooded parks near Canada;
3. There are very few and oftentimes no traffic jams;
4. The communities appear to be well maintained without being overly intrusive;
5. There doesn't appear to be any concrete jungles there, like there are here in California and many other states;
6. The state controls its budget without incurring large deficits or charging its residents high taxes;
7. The public schools are well run and safe
8. Most of the people there share a high moral standard and work ethic;
9. From what I have observed from reading stories in the local papers, many people there still take the time to get to know and help out their neighbors; and
10. I look forward to enjoying a slower pace of life where I can work in my garden.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,244,934 times
10 More reasons:

1) Looking for a place where we can see the stars without city lights;
2) Looking for a place where it isn't considered unusual to have farm animals - in the backyard - for food or for work;
3) Looking for a place where there will be no insane developers, coming in to build tract homes;
4) Looking to get away from the snowbirds who move here to retire, yet can't let go of 'how we did things up North';
5) Looking for a place where Wal Mart is not the be-all and end-all of the shopping experience;
6) Looking for a place where people are friendly but respect your privacy - and your right to do things your own way as long as you harm no one else;
7) Looking for a place where vicious gossip is not the sole entertainment;
8) Looking for a place where hunting is still not just a sport, but an acceptable and food-supplying activity;
9) Looking for a place that has four seasons, at least one with snow;
10) Looking for a place that doesn't have hurricanes, or millions of people evacuating away from them, who physically attack gas station and food store owners who run out of supplies.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:04 AM

38 posts, read 137,810 times
Thess ten reasons why lists reminds me of a list my 14 year old daughter made up a year or so ago when we were talking about the prospect of getting to move back to ND. It was "101 reasons to move to ND". I can't remember what all was on her list. But the inspiring thing to me about it was that it was coming from a 12 year old's perspective. (Guessing at the age, I can't remember exactly when she did up the list).

Dave N.
<><

Old 03-03-2008, 06:32 AM

1,761 posts, read 3,615,698 times
Default the healthiest housing market in the country?

This ND housing analysis for 2008 is by an independent & national firm.

North Dakota Real Estate, Bismarck, Grand Forks, Fargo, Minot

You guys are lucky!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:42 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,355,450 times
I have read the long list of reasons and agree .

However, I found it quite surprising that not a single one mentioned JOBS.

I guess I kinda thought "a job" is of utmost importance unless a person is retired or filthy rich.

Yet after reading the long list, I didn't see anyone mention availability of a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota