Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 AM

26 posts, read 92,314 times

Advertisements

Flooding!!!! Scares me to death! When I look online all I come up with are pictures of floods from various years. Is it that big of a threat?

We would love to live out on the land with a small amount of acreage.... in fact we were looking at a farm out past Argusville..... right on the Red, as a matter of fact......... until I saw the flood pictures of 1996! When I looked up the targeted property at the FEMA Floodsite it said it was Low to Moderate risk of flooding and when I looked at another property in Argusville itself it was at a High risk of flooding. I'm so confused!!

Are the floods that regular? Is there a "safe" place that won't cost an arm and a leg? I understand the topography of the area ........ and see why it floods..... but how does one go about surviving in that environment (if what I see/read is as bad as it seems)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,959,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamark1 View Post
Flooding!!!! Scares me to death! When I look online all I come up with are pictures of floods from various years. Is it that big of a threat?

We would love to live out on the land with a small amount of acreage.... in fact we were looking at a farm out past Argusville..... right on the Red, as a matter of fact......... until I saw the flood pictures of 1996! When I looked up the targeted property at the FEMA Floodsite it said it was Low to Moderate risk of flooding and when I looked at another property in Argusville itself it was at a High risk of flooding. I'm so confused!!

Are the floods that regular? Is there a "safe" place that won't cost an arm and a leg? I understand the topography of the area ........ and see why it floods..... but how does one go about surviving in that environment (if what I see/read is as bad as it seems)?
Hi

I am a meteorologist at the NWS Grand Forks and we do river forecasting/flash flood forecasting (among other things) for eastern ND and northwest MN...including cass county. Here is the cass county website on flooding....for specific land and flood plain info contact the township your land is in or the county.

Cass County Government ND (http://www.casscountynd.gov/departments/Planning/Flooding.htm - broken link)

As for flooding....the majority of the flooding is due to spring snowmelt river flooding which occurs mainly from mid March to mid April depending on how fast the snowmelt occurs. Flooding does not occur every spring on the Red River and in most years it is minor. There is a River Flood forecast point at Fargo and at Halstad for which we have river stage data and monitoring equipment. Here is our webpage for flooding issues and current watches/warnings. Click on the site to see more detailed info on that gauge site and flood stages.

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Eastern North Dakota/Grand Forks

Other than spring-time...flooding in that area of Cass county and along the Red can still occur although it is not usually as bad or frequent. You would have to get a lot of heavy rain from thunderstorms to cause it which can occur every few years but overall not nearly so frequent as the spring snow melt flooding. I certainly would also try to contact any landowners in the area near your purchase as the farmers would know first had what floods and what doesnt.

Outside of the Red River in your area...there are no real other rivers to worry about in your immediate area.

I hope this helps your decision making. I think you meant the flood of 97 as that was the big one. Would I buy right on the Red....probably not....I would choose a bit farther away (1 mile or so). Doing that would less the threat flood and help ease your mind. Outside of the immediate land...there are many many farms and open land closer to the interstate 29 and farther west through northern Cass county that does not get river flooding.

Dan

Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanx Dan....... that helps, and yes, we would talk to some farmers in the area... excellent idea!

Here is a shot near where we were thinking.... the internet is amazing!!! LOL

hjelle_swamped_farm_1997.jpg

It looks kind of wet, don't ya think? hahaha actually, the driveway to the property we wanted is the one one the other side of the river........ at least it is dry.

Lordy, lordy, lordy.....buying a house/property long distance is gonna drive me nuts!
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to ND..... I have issues with...-hjelle_swamped_farm_1997.jpg  

Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,027,911 times
A safe bet is to find out if a property flooded in 1997. If it didn't, it probably never will.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:46 PM

268 posts, read 1,610,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
A safe bet is to find out if a property flooded in 1997. If it didn't, it probably never will.
At least, not in your life time... there is a 500-year floodplain, as well.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
At least, not in your life time... there is a 500-year floodplain, as well.

I don't even want to think about being around in 500 years......... I have places to go and things to do....... hopefully someplace without politics!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,959,160 times
I think Travis hits it on the head well....use 97 flood as the benchmark...when you are looking at property. 97 flood was a combo of river flooding and overland flooding (from rapid melting of snow over land causing large areas of water). Now since you are looking from afar...you may be interested in a link to which you can order county rural directories. We use them at my work at the NWS to call folks who live on farmsteads and in rural townships to help us verify storm information.

Plat map publisher - Publisher of county directory and plat maps

http://php1.secure-shopping.com/fhp/catalog/Cass-County-p-1-c-519.html (broken link)

you can order county plat books online.

Using this book you can then see who owns land around where you are looking and then possibly contact them to see how their land is for flooding.
Now this will show phone numbers and plat land owners for areas outside of towns/cities only.

I thought this might help out.

Dan

Old 11-05-2008, 11:50 AM

Thanks Dan! I ordered a Plat & Directory Book of Cass County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota