Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 11:27 PM

35 posts, read 55,847 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am 22 and I live and work in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. I just graduated from college in May and got a construction safety job for a large general contractor in Dallas. I really like the company I work for, but eventually I would like to move to a rural state like ND to settle down in. I absolutely hate living in the big city with so many people, traffic, road construction, etc... Where are some good places to move in North Dakota? Where might I find a safety job whether it be in construction or manufacturing? PS I like the extreme cold and snow so that is not a turn off.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 06:52 PM

576 posts, read 831,016 times
OK, so you like the extreme cold and snow? How about both those combined with 30-40mph winds? I suspect you won't like it for long! But you sure are welcome to try!

There is not a lot in ND for manufacturing, so you would be mostly looking in the energy industry. Coal is winding down - I doubt there will be any new plants built and the ones that are established are getting old and some are being shut down. There are a few that might still have openings from time to time, but doubt you could have a 30-40 year career there. Oil is up and down in the NW quarter of the state as the prices go up and down, so there is some potential there too, although again, this could be spotty. There are a few refineries - one in Mandan (Tesoro last I knew), and a new one just opened in Dickinson (not sure what company owns that). Wind energy is starting to grow in ND, so there may be some options in windmill construction for a safety person. Overall, the state is growing, so always new, traditional construction projects going on.

You probably won't be able to pick your location.... You will have to find a job and then live near where that job is. ND is very sparsely populated, so you can't decide - Oh, I am going to move to Linton and find a job there! Fat chance!

Check with Basin Electric Power Cooperative. They are an enormous energy company based in Bismarck that has a lot of different kinds of energy facilities throughout the state (and surrounding states). MDU Resources would be another possibility. The state govt might be another option, as they are doing quite a bit of road construction projects. There are also state departments that have safety people for workplace safety enforcement.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Hmm North Dakota has very little in manufacturing?

Bobcat: Plants in Gwinner, Bismarck (Skid steers and other compact equipment)
Caterpillar: West Fargo (Drivetrain remanufacturing)
Wil-Rich: Wahpeton (Tillage equipment manufacturing)
Amity: Fargo (Beat and potato harvesting equipment)
Summers equipment: Devils Lake and Maddock (Tillage equipment)
John Deere Electronic Solutions: Fargo (Electronic equipment)
Case IH: Fargo (Tractors)
Fargo Assembly: Fargo and Lisbon (Wire harnesses and electric components)

With that said: The weather here pretty much sucks for a good 4-5 months. The dating scene is awful unless you're under 25. The housing situation in Bismarck is a joke, people paying top dollar for starter houses that haven't had a lick of real improvements in 30 years. A typical starter house will start $170k plus and in that price range you'll have to adjust your standards for what's acceptable. The people here can't drive for crap. The real kicker is that while people are friendly you'll always be viewed as an outsider. I'm not joking people made all the friends they'll ever need in high school.

I've been here over 5 years and all I'm doing is piling cash. I have no desire to set down roots here. North Dakota has been very good to me career and money wise, but the housing and dating situation are the driving factor that cause me to look home.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Hmm North Dakota has very little in manufacturing?

Bobcat: Plants in Gwinner, Bismarck (Skid steers and other compact equipment)
Caterpillar: West Fargo (Drivetrain remanufacturing)
Wil-Rich: Wahpeton (Tillage equipment manufacturing)
Amity: Fargo (Beat and potato harvesting equipment)
Summers equipment: Devils Lake and Maddock (Tillage equipment)
John Deere Electronic Solutions: Fargo (Electronic equipment)
Case IH: Fargo (Tractors)
Fargo Assembly: Fargo and Lisbon (Wire harnesses and electric components)
Thanks for proving my point!

Old 07-10-2017, 03:35 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Thanks for proving my point!
FYI Arizona doesn't even rank in the top third for state GDP and that's not a full list of manufacturers in North Dakota.

Maybe if Arizona start slamming out more early bird specials and gets into golf ball and depends manufacturing it will pull into the middle third

Old 07-10-2017, 03:55 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
To add...Grand Forks has Cirrus (a company that manufactures small aircraft)..... L&M Wind (which makes wind turbines).... Simplot (french fries) and nearby across the river and up and down the RRV American Crystal Sugar (processes sugar beets year round).

Old 07-10-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
FYI Arizona doesn't even rank in the top third for state GDP and that's not a full list of manufacturers in North Dakota.

Maybe if Arizona start slamming out more early bird specials and gets into golf ball and depends manufacturing it will pull into the middle third
Who was talking about AZ? I was actually trying to give the OP a perspective compared to what he is used to in the DFW area.

Take a pill.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:22 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake94 View Post
Hi, I am 22 and I live and work in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. I just graduated from college in May and got a construction safety job for a large general contractor in Dallas. I really like the company I work for, but eventually I would like to move to a rural state like ND to settle down in. I absolutely hate living in the big city with so many people, traffic, road construction, etc... Where are some good places to move in North Dakota? Where might I find a safety job whether it be in construction or manufacturing? PS I like the extreme cold and snow so that is not a turn off.

Thanks!
What's the smallest sized town you're willing to move to?

Old 07-11-2017, 01:34 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake94 View Post

Thanks!
Move to Fargo.

You may not stay, but it is big enough without being too big. It is also the land of tall blond people.

Bismarck has better topography, but I like Fargo better. Also, you may like north west Minnesota.

I would move in late December, nothing worse will happen to you all year. The winters are very cold, but once spring comes and it warms up into the 30's you will be loving life.

I am from Texas, have a nice house in Nacogdoches just down the road from SFA, I would rather live in Fargo or Branard or Bismarck.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 07-11-2017, 09:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
I made the move from Texas (Austin) to ND about 10 years ago, but recently moved across the river to MN. So far I have survived and enjoy it. However being retired I have no knowledge of the employment world.

Just writing to let you know it is possible fo a Texan to not only survive in ND, but to like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota