U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
 
Location: 河南郑州, Kansas City, Iowa, Fargo
253 posts, read 1,065,687 times
Reputation: 167
Fargo-Moorhead is fairly gay-friendly, however the unofficial gay bar here closed a few months ago.

 
Old 03-25-2008, 05:19 PM
 
Location: San DiFrangeles, Ca
489 posts, read 1,284,949 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
Fargo-Moorhead is fairly gay-friendly, however the unofficial gay bar here closed a few months ago.
The bars geared more towards the GLBT groups that have opened in both the Bismarck and Fargo areas have historically never been able to make it. The one in the Fargo area, which was in an old oil lube shop (I always found that ironic LOL) in Moorhead, probably had the best stint of any of them, but alas it fell like all the others in the past have. I have thought a few times of opening an upscale 1920-1930's Hollywood themed (but not cheesy) bar geared towards the GLBT population of the central and western part of the state, but looking at the failure of past operations it makes me think twice about it.
 
Old 03-25-2008, 05:43 PM
 
107 posts, read 310,310 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
The bars geared more towards the GLBT groups that have opened in both the Bismarck and Fargo areas have historically never been able to make it. The one in the Fargo area, which was in an old oil lube shop (I always found that ironic LOL) in Moorhead, probably had the best stint of any of them, but alas it fell like all the others in the past have. I have thought a few times of opening an upscale 1920-1930's Hollywood themed (but not cheesy) bar geared towards the GLBT population of the central and western part of the state, but looking at the failure of past operations it makes me think twice about it.
If there were a not just for gays type bar like that, that would be cool. I have always thought it would be cool if someone could combine a bar & movie theatre so that you would show old movies on a theatre screen there while you have a few drinks with friends. There would be some kinks to work out I am sure, but I think it could be fun.
 
Old 03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
 
Location: San DiFrangeles, Ca
489 posts, read 1,284,949 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismanpokerclub View Post
If there were a not just for gays type bar like that, that would be cool. I have always thought it would be cool if someone could combine a bar & movie theatre so that you would show old movies on a theatre screen there while you have a few drinks with friends. There would be some kinks to work out I am sure, but I think it could be fun.
Oh no it wouldn't just be a gay bar, but I as a business owner would definitely be supporting the local gay organizations. I was at a bar in West Hollywood a couple weeks ago and they were showing old videos of Betty Paige and Marilyn Monroe and it was a lil risque but the "sexy" women of Hollywood were sex symbols in a whole different way than they are now. I was wondering what would happen if I had old videos of this sort (no nudity) playing on plasma screens in various areas of my bar in Bismarck, I'm afraid people who don't patronize my business would complain to the city and you know how Bismarck LOVES to stick it's nose into things like that.
 
Old 03-26-2008, 06:01 AM
 
103 posts, read 542,823 times
Reputation: 46
Didn't Bismarck try the movie-bar thing once already? I was thinking the old movie theater on the corner of Rosser and 5th (now a salad bar resturaunt) a few years back was converted to a bar that showed movies? But it ended up closing after about a year or two. I think they called it the Cine-Bar.
 
Old 03-30-2008, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
802 posts, read 2,388,602 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwittleZ View Post
My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving to North Dakota, but on the skeptical side, being that we don't know if North Dakota is gay friendly. I noticed there's a Pride Fest, however that doesn't mean our child won't get harrassed. Any help??
Come on now. What do you *really* think is the worst that will happen?
Good grief. If you're afraid of North Dakota, then I just don't know what to say.
Sometimes I think there are "straight-o-phobes" in the gay community.
 
Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Seattle area
301 posts, read 765,288 times
Reputation: 108
Hummmmmmmmm. If a gay bar can not make it, then what does it say about the gay population????????????? I think I would think twice especially with a child involved. I still have family back there and the area is very conservative. I might add that I grew up in Fargo.
 
Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 AM
 
107 posts, read 310,310 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Come on now. What do you *really* think is the worst that will happen?
Good grief. If you're afraid of North Dakota, then I just don't know what to say.
Sometimes I think there are "straight-o-phobes" in the gay community.
I think you might want to trade mark that "straight-0-phobes" its an instant classic!
 
Old 03-30-2008, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Fargo, ND
12 posts, read 53,073 times
Reputation: 20
No worries. The Fargo/Moorhead/Grand Forks scene really don't care if people are gay or straight. All that really matters is if they have a good attitude.
 
Old 03-30-2008, 10:54 PM
 
Location: South Dakota
1,961 posts, read 4,294,368 times
Reputation: 912
Gays would have an easier time in larger cities and the younger generation (Gen X and Gen Y) would be more tolerant in general than the older generations such as the pre WWII generations and some baby boomers. If one is gay and does not push it upon other people, he or she will run into less problems. It depends on the mentality of the people wherever one goes. Not all people in North Dakota or the Midwest are hostile towards gays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top