Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:30 AM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times

Advertisements

For anyone that has moved recently, or in the process of moving from California to North Dakota, what was/is your experience. I have been in contact of a few moving companies and prices are all over the place. The Better Business Bureau also said be aware of a lot of shady companies. Some will just drive your belongings, you load/unload. Others will do everything. We will be all boxed up, and ready to go, as we are currently moving almost everything into storage in preperation. Would like to know costs(realizing that costs are dynamic with fuel prices), weather you loaded/unloaded, delivery was on time, damage to your belongins etc.. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:56 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,088 times
http://www.upack.com/

Old 04-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the input. I've been to their website. They are kinda expensive.
I appreciate your input!....)

Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
For anyone that has moved recently, or in the process of moving from California to North Dakota, what was/is your experience. I have been in contact of a few moving companies and prices are all over the place. The Better Business Bureau also said be aware of a lot of shady companies. Some will just drive your belongings, you load/unload. Others will do everything. We will be all boxed up, and ready to go, as we are currently moving almost everything into storage in preperation. Would like to know costs(realizing that costs are dynamic with fuel prices), weather you loaded/unloaded, delivery was on time, damage to your belongins etc.. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.....
When my family moved to ND, and then when I moved back to CA, we had local movers load the truck for us and we drove it ourselves. It's an easy drive (4-5 days) if you just want to take your time, or you can make it a quick 2 day trip. Then when we got to our destination we had a local mover unload our truck. That way we had our belongings with us at all times and there was no waiting for a couple weeks for our things to reach us. I do remember calling a moving company when I was moving from Mpls to Bismarck and they gave me a quote and a supervisor from the company called me later and doubled the charge because, I'm not kidding you, he said that I didn't understand that ND only has dirt roads and their trucks will get stuck in the mud. My reaction.... . I had lived in Bismarck before and obviously knew better, I tried explaining to the supervisor that I know for a fact that an interstate runs from Mpls to Bismarck and that you don't come anywhere near a dirt road and he kept arguing with me that ND doesn't have anything but dirt roads. OMG it was insane, and this was through a larger moving company. When I moved from Bis back to OC, Budget had the best prices. U-haul tends to be flaky, not being able to guarantee you a truck even with a reservation made months in advance. Good luck Mikey

Old 04-07-2008, 12:04 AM

240 posts, read 1,423,291 times
When I was comparing prices on moving companies, only a few months ago, my research also indicated that Budget had the lowest rates.

Please keep us posted as to your progress and what you find out regarding moving companies and their rates because I hope to follow you from California into North Dakota either this summer or next year, depending on how fast I can find the right home and pay for it. Best wishes. I am so happy for you.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM

108 posts, read 439,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
I do remember calling a moving company when I was moving from Mpls to Bismarck and they gave me a quote and a supervisor from the company called me later and doubled the charge because, I'm not kidding you, he said that I didn't understand that ND only has dirt roads and their trucks will get stuck in the mud. My reaction.... . I had lived in Bismarck before and obviously knew better, I tried explaining to the supervisor that I know for a fact that an interstate runs from Mpls to Bismarck and that you don't come anywhere near a dirt road and he kept arguing with me that ND doesn't have anything but dirt roads. OMG it was insane, and this was through a larger moving company.
This is similar to things I encountered in my travels. Many people would find out I was from ND and they would say stuff like "how long does it take to get here" I would say oh it was about an hour flight or something and they would say not the plane ride but how long the wagon ride was to civilization, and they were serious! You could not get some people to believe we still weren't stuck in 1886. I would get questions like how bad are the indian attacks along the way, do we get tv, electricity running water etc. etc. Finally after a while when I would bump into one of these morons I would just play along and say stuff like "oh the wagon train took about 4 months to get to minneapolis and we got attacked pretty much every day till the outskirts of minneapolis" and my favorite is "whats TV?" I always enjoyed watching these people get so excited explaing to me the "wonders" of thier modern life like tv and phone etc. Then I would turn the tables and tell them I thought they were making all this stuff up and it sounded like wichcraft to me. Fun stuff.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 PM

246 posts, read 1,006,713 times
Do you guys have a Penske out there? We had great success with them when we moved from CT to ND. If you got them in CA, may be worth a look.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Do you guys have a Penske out there? We had great success with them when we moved from CT to ND. If you got them in CA, may be worth a look.
Thanks for the info Cain. Yup! We have a Penske here and they are far cheeper than U-Haul I found out. Even cheaper than Budget. Budget was $1500 more for the same distance. U-Haul also has a reputation for poor maintenance on their trucks. Looks like it will be Penske if we can get everything in a 26' truck. Time to downsize!....
Also, thanks to everyone else for your inputs.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:38 AM

394 posts, read 1,169,088 times
Look into this

uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Vehicles or Moves

Old 04-15-2008, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 20,314 times
Default Moving to ND

I too am moving from the Riverside County in California. I am enjoying reading all the posts. I hope to learn more from everyone about the state and the town that I will be moving to...Lisbon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota