U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 12:17 PM

7,468 posts, read 8,669,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I live in NE Wyoming -- have for nearly 50 years -- and the last couple months seem like the coldest winter yet. It might just be because I'm getting old, however.

I said something the other night about skiing, and my wife said the ski resorts are probably hurting this season and I wouldn't want to be in the cold. I said no, when it got way below zero on the ski slopes I liked it, because that might mean short lift lines.

I also lived in Alaska for a few years before moving here, and it was never too cold to crank up the snowmobiles and head out. I really think it's my age (73). My daughter and ex-wife both live in Arizona now. I never thought I'd want to live down there, as I like cool summers and have never suffered the cold winters much, but this year just seems horrible.

It might also have a little to do with my "retirement job" now as a home inspector. Most of my inspections are either exterior ones or exterior and interior for homes without heat. It takes more time climbing over snow drifts, navigating ice, etc., and it seems like it takes MUCH longer to do them. I don't mind the work in the summer, but this winter? BRRRRRRRRRRR!

If I could go to ND and make good money for a winter or two, I'd give it a try, but I don't make much money inspecting homes. I've always had office jobs before, seldom outside for long. This winter is making up for it.
I've seen nasty cold in Wyoming as well. Especially with that damn wind. But the big difference is the lack of humidity there. This is definitely the coldest place I've lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwatcher View Post
How cold has it been getting up in ND this winter?
Bitter cold. Actual temperatures of -25 with wind chills of -50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 09:08 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,960,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

That sounds dangerously cold. Is it even safe to be outside in those conditions? Does the state encourage North Dakotans to stay home from work and school or is it pretty much business as usual on those days?

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

4,614 posts, read 1,799,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've seen nasty cold in Wyoming as well. Especially with that damn wind. But the big difference is the lack of humidity there. This is definitely the coldest place I've lived.

I hate to tell you this, but that is not really cold for North Dakota. I remember walking to school when I was a kid in Northwestern North Dakota when the temperature, was as low as -43 F. I have no idea what the wind chill was, but there was wind, so there was wind chill.

The good news was that we didn't have to spend recess outdoors, when the temperature got below -20 F. Which happened about maybe 5 days a year. I remember checking the thermometer before leaving home, and actually hoping that it was below -20, just so I wouldn't have to freeze outdoors for an hour that day.

Old Today, 07:53 AM

37 posts, read 24,203 times
Default solar minimum

probably because we are headed for a solar minimum.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-new...imum-is-coming

It has to do with the sun spot activity.

Old Today, 09:18 AM

7,468 posts, read 8,669,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
That sounds dangerously cold. Is it even safe to be outside in those conditions? Does the state encourage North Dakotans to stay home from work and school or is it pretty much business as usual on those days?
Usually it's business as usual but there are snow days for schools and once this year there was no mail delivery or garbage collection.

Old Today, 11:28 AM

20,552 posts, read 35,306,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublet View Post
probably because we are headed for a solar minimum.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-new...imum-is-coming

It has to do with the sun spot activity.
Global average temperatures are still increasing, (primarily at high latitudes), solar activity does not mitigate the reality of exponential CO2 growth in the atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or