Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 04:50 PM

10,230 posts, read 13,737,164 times

Advertisements

Anyone else loving the cold right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 11:19 AM

8 posts, read 9,912 times
I wish I was in North Dakota. I'm a major winter type.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:07 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,080,547 times
I'm so over it. I'm ready to move on from North Dakota. I've been here for seven years and it hasn't really grown on me. I've had the same job since moving here and I will miss the pay and perks, but this six months of being pretty much trapped indoors sucks the life out of you.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:19 PM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I'm so over it. I'm ready to move on from North Dakota. I've been here for seven years and it hasn't really grown on me. I've had the same job since moving here and I will miss the pay and perks, but this six months of being pretty much trapped indoors sucks the life out of you.
Lots to do further east in the Northwoods in winter as you have plenty of trails over there. Not as much in the way of public land or trails in North Dakota. North Shore and Lake Superior Snowbelt are great in the winter so many trails to explore, including silent sports trails where you don't need a snowmobile.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,080,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Lots to do further east in the Northwoods in winter as you have plenty of trails over there. Not as much in the way of public land or trails in North Dakota. North Shore and Lake Superior Snowbelt are great in the winter so many trails to explore, including silent sports trails where you don't need a snowmobile.
I've never been a snow person. I will say that it's been an interesting adventure. I kind of wonder if it would have turned out different if I moved to the Twin Cities or Omaha. It's not all bad it was the best thing that I did financially. I'll be leaving here debt free with a new paid for truck and a decent cushion to rest easy on where I might blow to next. I'm thinking by the summer of 2020 that i'll be rambling out.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:43 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,931,509 times
North Dakota is cold? Who could have foreseen that?

Cold doesn't bother me nearly as much as darkness and cloudiness. I like daylight. This is why I don't live in Iceland or Alaska. Winter is often beautiful but I need sunshine.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,717,022 times
l was in Minot and Williston from 2/28 - 3/3. Holy crap did my fingers hurt through my gloves after being outside for any longer than a minute. Took a good 10 minute for them to defrost indoors. (they really did hurt) I'm almost scared to know what the wind chill was around 6 AM on those days.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:57 PM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
l was in Minot and Williston from 2/28 - 3/3. Holy crap did my fingers hurt through my gloves after being outside for any longer than a minute. Took a good 10 minute for them to defrost indoors. (they really did hurt) I'm almost scared to know what the wind chill was around 6 AM on those days.
With wind chill values below -20F I would recommend two pairs of insulated gloves if possible.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,134,594 times
I live in NE Wyoming -- have for nearly 50 years -- and the last couple months seem like the coldest winter yet. It might just be because I'm getting old, however.

I said something the other night about skiing, and my wife said the ski resorts are probably hurting this season and I wouldn't want to be in the cold. I said no, when it got way below zero on the ski slopes I liked it, because that might mean short lift lines.

I also lived in Alaska for a few years before moving here, and it was never too cold to crank up the snowmobiles and head out. I really think it's my age (73). My daughter and ex-wife both live in Arizona now. I never thought I'd want to live down there, as I like cool summers and have never suffered the cold winters much, but this year just seems horrible.

It might also have a little to do with my "retirement job" now as a home inspector. Most of my inspections are either exterior ones or exterior and interior for homes without heat. It takes more time climbing over snow drifts, navigating ice, etc., and it seems like it takes MUCH longer to do them. I don't mind the work in the summer, but this winter? BRRRRRRRRRRR!

If I could go to ND and make good money for a winter or two, I'd give it a try, but I don't make much money inspecting homes. I've always had office jobs before, seldom outside for long. This winter is making up for it.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:33 PM

42 posts, read 25,939 times
How cold has it been getting up in ND this winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota