U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-07-2019, 06:47 PM
 
14 posts, read 8,692 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I'm going to be traveling to Minnesota over Memorial Day Weekend and beyond (Minneapolis and Lake Superior area) and going to be actually staying in Fargo for a few days. Going to spend one day in Fargo/Moorhead, but sort of on the fence on which of two itinerary to do for my other day unless there's something in Fargo I want to do for a second day. One idea is to travel I-94 between Valley City and Jamestown; the other is to head north on I-29 to Grand Forks and UND. Just asking for suggestions for which of these to go to...and if you have ideas for Fargo, willing to hear them. (know I want to see the viking ship at least)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2019, 09:16 PM
 
373 posts, read 157,137 times
Reputation: 368
Grand Forks would be the better of the two to visit. Not really a ton of must do's in eastern ND in my opinion though (western is the more interesting part to visit, which is not where you will be). If you get up to Grand Forks, Turtle River State Park is pretty nice though. UND is completely under construction right now so getting around the campus area will be a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 PM
 
1,617 posts, read 312,853 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Grand Forks would be the better of the two to visit. Not really a ton of must do's in eastern ND in my opinion though (western is the more interesting part to visit, which is not where you will be). If you get up to Grand Forks, Turtle River State Park is pretty nice though. UND is completely under construction right now so getting around the campus area will be a mess.
Yes, the Badlands are the showcase. No question. But the Rendevous Region in northeastern North Dakota is gorgeous, with the Pembina Gorge and the wooded hills. You mentioned Turtle River State Park. I've been to many state parks in many states. TRSP is a great state park, period. Further south, the drive along the Sheyenne River from Valley City down to Fort Ransom is great. The land north of Bismarck, along the Missouri River, like at Cross Ranch State Park, feels like the West, among the cottonwoods. You go up north again to the Peace Garden area, in the Turtle Mountains, that is also quite pretty.

I chuckle when people who don't know anything speak of North Dakota as if it has nothing to see. Meanwhile, I've been to many of the places these people live and actually know what it's like in their stomping grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 05:34 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,785 posts, read 9,111,983 times
Reputation: 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Yes, the Badlands are the showcase. No question. But the Rendevous Region in northeastern North Dakota is gorgeous, with the Pembina Gorge and the wooded hills. You mentioned Turtle River State Park. I've been to many state parks in many states. TRSP is a great state park, period. Further south, the drive along the Sheyenne River from Valley City down to Fort Ransom is great. The land north of Bismarck, along the Missouri River, like at Cross Ranch State Park, feels like the West, among the cottonwoods. You go up north again to the Peace Garden area, in the Turtle Mountains, that is also quite pretty.

I chuckle when people who don't know anything speak of North Dakota as if it has nothing to see. Meanwhile, I've been to many of the places these people live and actually know what it's like in their stomping grounds.
There is quite a bit to see. If you like history this is where Lewis Clark spent the most time. I get the same chuckle from my Iowa family. They like to say it's desolate even though they've never been here. They're the same ones who think Nebraska looks like the western third in its entirety. God forbid they leave their damn state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 04:53 AM
 
373 posts, read 157,137 times
Reputation: 368
I'm not a huge fan of Pembina Gorge myself. I also really like the Devil's Lake area in general, but was just thinking specifically about where the OP would be. Once you get to Bismarck/Minot and west, there is tons of natural beauty (more so west of Bismarck than Minot). Turtle Mountain is probably the second prettiest area in the state after the Badlands IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 10:18 PM
 
733 posts, read 175,620 times
Reputation: 1637
I don’t know, I really enjoyed driving the farm roads in SE North Dakota, around Jamestown & Ellendale, a couple of years ago. It was peaceful, uncrowded, and people were friendly. Some of the little farm towns were fun to photograph. But then, my family is from there, they were farmers, and I was tracing my roots and reliving parts of my childhood. But, it was a relaxing place to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:06 PM
 
36 posts, read 14,414 times
Reputation: 49
I’ve been poking around the back roads of the Rendezvous Region, lots of neat places to see if you like that kind of stuff. It’s not on the tourist brochures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Wyoming
9,447 posts, read 17,480,235 times
Reputation: 14175
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
There is quite a bit to see. If you like history this is where Lewis Clark spent the most time. I get the same chuckle from my Iowa family. They like to say it's desolate even though they've never been here. They're the same ones who think Nebraska looks like the western third in its entirety. God forbid they leave their damn state.
I spent most of my junior high and high school years in Iowa and married a gal whose grandparents helped settle Iowa in the later 1800s. To say they're proud of Iowa is quite an understatement. I moved to Wyoming in my mid-20s and haven't left, and my wife's parents just couldn't quite understand WHY anyone would want to live in the Cowboy State. Denmark would be fine, Iowa a little better. Anywhere else is kind of a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 09:04 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,785 posts, read 9,111,983 times
Reputation: 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I spent most of my junior high and high school years in Iowa and married a gal whose grandparents helped settle Iowa in the later 1800s. To say they're proud of Iowa is quite an understatement. I moved to Wyoming in my mid-20s and haven't left, and my wife's parents just couldn't quite understand WHY anyone would want to live in the Cowboy State. Denmark would be fine, Iowa a little better. Anywhere else is kind of a shame.
I've never been anywhere where people like the sound of their state name so much. If you're there just listen to how many times you hear someone say the word Iowa. It's something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:31 PM
 
429 posts, read 325,538 times
Reputation: 376
eat at the casinos. look for the $1 breakfasts 'only one please.' wall drug is in south dakota but a great tourist trap. i didn't think much of rushmore. but the close encounters tower was spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top