U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-26-2006, 12:45 AM

10 posts, read 39,266 times
Smile HELP>>> ND..What are property Tax rates there?

I am looking to move my family away from California...and possibly moving to ND...Can someone give me an idea as to what the property taxes are there? Is it a flat percentage (2%) like California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-26-2006, 11:41 AM

85 posts, read 265,371 times
It depends what town you're talking about. Property taxes are high in Fargo compared to just across the river in Minnesota, but property taxes elsewhere in North Dakota are lower than they are in Fargo. There was just an article in the Fargo Forum about property taxes in Fargo: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=150582&section=News (broken link)

Unread 12-26-2006, 12:43 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,462,530 times
Here is an excellent 2005 property tax rate table and comparison form on the city of Grand Forks web page. You put in your assessed value and you compute what your tax bill is and it compares it to other larger cities in ND. It does vary from city to city as the previous poster said and varies even more if looking to live in the city versus rural. Grand Forks taxable rate is about 2.2 percent of assessed value...about middle of the pack among cities.

http://www.grandforksgov.com/gfgov/home.nsf/00344ff53abbdbcf882571a500528703!OpenForm (broken link)

Dan

Unread 12-26-2006, 02:30 PM

85 posts, read 265,371 times
I didn't realize property taxes were that high throughout North Dakota. My property taxes in Minnesota look pretty good compared to that, but then I pay higher state income tax. The smaller towns in North Dakota must have lower property taxes.

Unread 12-26-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmn View Post
I didn't realize property taxes were that high throughout North Dakota. My property taxes in Minnesota look pretty good compared to that, but then I pay higher state income tax. The smaller towns in North Dakota must have lower property taxes.
When looking to build our new home, tough decision between ND or MN. Grand Forks versus East Grand Forks. Growth is mostly in Grand Forks, but EGF population is turning around too, but the numerous homes destroyed by the flood of 97 and the ensuring levee construction it will take some time to return to pre-flood levels. We decided on MN due to special lot prices in EGF....and for us who live in MN but work in ND (we pay MN income and MN property tax only we do need to pay ND income too due to special law)...it is a trade off with property taxes lower in EGF than GF but income tax is higher in MN than ND.

We got our tax bill for our home for 2006 in EGF and our tax actually went down about 5 percent. In Grand Forks, the city has lowered the levy due but with increased evaulations on home (worth more money) the actual tax bill is higher in 2006 in most cases.

Dan

Unread 07-12-2007, 12:12 PM

423 posts, read 999,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browndago View Post
I am looking to move my family away from California...and possibly moving to ND...Can someone give me an idea as to what the property taxes are there? Is it a flat percentage (2%) like California?
We do not have the flat rate here. This state does not add on excess taxes on your food, vehicle registration, etc. What they do is tax the properties instead. In ND, depending on the city, you can be expected to pay around $20 -$22 per thousand value of your home with a 3-5% increase per year. This is in the major cities. Outside the major cities, you can expect to pay around $15 per thousand value. It seems a lot, but consider, you are not paying for taxes on other items.

Unread 07-26-2007, 02:43 PM

246 posts, read 636,937 times
I live in fargo and the $20 - $22 per thousand is right on.

But again as others have said, you don't pay the extra taxes like other places, which is nice after living in CT where they taxed you on everything they possibly could. Seems the cities with the most taxes out there were the ones that were the most rundown and in financial trouble.

I would recommend a move to bismarck if at all possible. Of all the towns in North Dakota, I like it the best.

Unread 07-29-2007, 08:27 AM

9 posts, read 23,452 times
We recently bought a home in Grand Forks and were shocked by how high the property taxes were.

Unread 07-29-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bina View Post
We recently bought a home in Grand Forks and were shocked by how high the property taxes were.
Did you have any specials too..... Yeah property taxes are quite high....just about 2.5 percent of the assessed value. One reason why we moved across the river to Minnesota and built a house. But over in MN income tax is bigger so trade off there....but lots were cheaper with EGF incentives.

Dan

Unread 08-24-2009, 04:38 AM

10 posts, read 39,266 times
Default guess what? Changed my mind..I want to move to Mexico

I would like some informed information for people who have actually made the move to Mexico/So. America....the more detailed the better....Thanks. Mike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota