Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2020, 10:49 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times

Advertisements

Thinking about a late summer - mid-July or early-August - road trip starting in Mn/St Paul and lasting about two weeks. It looks like that is the best airport to get into, rent a car and begin.

We enjoy hiking, (5-7 miles in/out), sightseeing, quirky things and places to visit. We'd be staying inmate's/hotels, 2 or 3 nights max each location. That's our style anyway.

Looks like best to start with North Dakota and then loop down to South Dakota. I'll post in the SD forum also.

Thanks for suggestions. Have no idea if stuff will be open, available, but we're going stir crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 07:39 PM

88 posts, read 53,778 times
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/map/nd

Old 06-20-2020, 10:37 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Thinking about a late summer - mid-July or early-August - road trip starting in Mn/St Paul and lasting about two weeks. It looks like that is the best airport to get into, rent a car and begin.

We enjoy hiking, (5-7 miles in/out), sightseeing, quirky things and places to visit. We'd be staying inmate's/hotels, 2 or 3 nights max each location. That's our style anyway.

Looks like best to start with North Dakota and then loop down to South Dakota. I'll post in the SD forum also.

Thanks for suggestions. Have no idea if stuff will be open, available, but we're going stir crazy.
There isn't much for tourism in North Dakota. In fact we are the least visited state in the country. If you leave from the Twin Cities and take 94 there are zoos in Fargo and Bismarck. I haven't been to them so can't say one way or another. There is the National Buffalo Museum https://www.buffalomuseum.com/ in Jamestown and the world's largest buffalo statue is there. If you go up further north the Turtle Mountains are a pretty area. There is Lake Metigoshe State Park and the Peace Garden up along the Canadian border out of the way of the interstate https://www.ndtourism.com/best-place...n-scenic-byway. I'm not sure what the hiking is like around there. The best area for tourists in the state is Theodore Roosevelt National Park https://www.nps.gov/thro/index.htm. The South Unit is accessible from Interstate 94. The North Unit is a bit out of the way but is worth it as well. The trails in Theodore Roosevelt are pretty but be aware there are lots of bison in the park. You can also take a drive on the Enchanted Highway https://www.ndtourism.com/regent/att...hanted-highway and see some neat sculptures. I'd stay at least one night in Dickinson. Medora is right next to the South Unit but not much for restaurants or other amenities and hotels are likely expensive. The Medora Musical is fun if you like that sort of thing and the pitchfork fondue is fun. https://medora.com/do/entertainment/medora-musical/

From Theodore Roosevelt you could head to the Black Hills and there is no shortage of things to do there!

Old 06-21-2020, 06:14 AM

Thx to both for your responses. Like I said in OP, just starting to get claustrophobic here and we're not beach people. May turn out to be more of a 'Sunday drive' in some areas. Just looking for any hidden gems.

If we take the trip, we'll do our best to add to the tourism $$$$ in North Dakota.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:09 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
OP. I'm thinking of the same exact job. Flying into the Twin Cities. Rental car. I was thinking of driving all the way to Bismark & down to SD. Then down to Rapid City or Badlands area and then go further south into Nebraska. Then head to Iowa (Field of Dreams baseball field) then back up to Twin Cities.

I almost want to keep going south to Kansas & Missouri before heading back to Twin Cities but might not have time for that.

Let me know please if you find anything good worth checking out. I'm into taking pictures & great sights.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:39 PM

Statz,

I've driven across SD once before, summer 1995, with an 18 year old who was anxious to get the trip (ATL-SEA) over, so we went faster than preferred. Badlands, Mt Rushmore (we better hurry before it is gone), Wall Drugs, The Corn Palace, plus the vistas along I-90 are memorable. Corn Palace and Wall Drug are both kitschy, but that is what is great about them. Today, I'd spend more time in Badlands and explore the Rushmore area more.

Part of this itineraryare on the way and day trip type visits.

We are thinking TC>Fargo>Manitoba(? if the border is open), dipping back into the U.S. around Dunseith>alternately> Rugby (the geographic enter of the U.S., although there some friendly disagreement and or competition among N Dakotans in the area about where the real center is actually>Dunseith (The Peace Garden, hope Canadian border is open so we can see both sides)>(maybe over to Bismarck)>Medora (The Medora Musical, The Gospel Brunch, Roosevelt NP)>Regent (enchanted highway),

then down into Western S Dakota (Rushmore & Badlands> tracking back across South Dakota, east to TC airport

Old 07-14-2020, 11:35 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Visit the falls in Sioux Falls. We loved it there. Also, if you're going to Badlands, the Minuteman historic site by I-90 and Badlands was interesting. There's a small visitor's center there with displays devoted to the cold war, and I think it was free.
Eat Indian tacos at the Cedar Pass Lodge restaurant by the Badlands visitor's center. If there are any Laura Ingalls Wilder fans in your group, visit De Smet, SD.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:53 PM

Thx for suggestions, Gorges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota