Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times

Advertisements

Is this the Minot area? Wow, I didn't know ND was so expensive, I might as well stay in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,158 times
Yes, it is in Minot. It is also 3000 sq ft, 1/2 acre lot, with many ammenities, including partially heated garage and sand box with play area. I am moving to VA, and if I were to rent an equivilant house I would pay well over $2400+, in Minneapolis it would be around $2700+, and it would probably go for around $285,000-300,000 for morgage (which would be between 1600-1900 a month).

Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 AM

196 posts, read 208,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
In the AF at this particular base, if you are E2/E3 you can live off base. You don't have to channel a permission slip. There is an overabundance of personnel in the dorms, so they generally kick you out of the dorms once you promote to E3.

We actually went through our insurance company who in turned sued them. I know that they are having a difficult time of it, because I still get calls from creditors and one time one of their cars was repo-ed (I know this because my husband's and the airman's car was the same make, and the repo guy tried to take our car, which had been paid off for over 3 years). But again this is not something I want to live through. I was an active duty officer, and my husband still is, and the damage done to our house has really negatively painted young enlisted personnel. Some of the stuff done to our house was downright dangerous-- they played with pellet guns, and my son put one in his mouth and almost choked to death, and when we moved back to the home, I couldn't live there for over 12 weeks (I was 12 weeks pregnant at the time), because they kept field mice as pets not in cages, and my entire basement was covered in mouse feces. So it's not just about the money, it's about the maturity. They also had a party where a young woman was seriously injured driving drunk and underage.
dont mean to sound insulting, but next time maybe you should monitor your home if youre going to rent it out for younger people, the fact that this much damage has occurred and your still considering young enlisted folks is kind of brainless ya know... for your entire basement to have been covered in mouse feces sort of explains you didnt check the home out often enuff when you knew all this was happening...I wish you luck, your husband still being active duty should exercise his authority a little more in my opinon.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:10 PM

dont mean to sound insulting, but next time maybe you should monitor your home if youre going to rent it out for younger people, the fact that this much damage has occurred and your still considering young enlisted folks is kind of brainless ya know...

This is actually quite insulting-- I cannot legally discriminate based on age, marital status, sexual preference, race, or religion (or lack thereof). I can discriminate based on income, credit ratings, and criminal background checks. That's it. It's the law. If I break the law I could be fined, jailed, or blacklisted.

for your entire basement to have been covered in mouse feces sort of explains you didnt check the home out often enuff when you knew all this was happening...I wish you luck, your husband still being active duty should exercise his authority a little more in my opinon.

1. We were stationed in Germany, we paid a pretty poor property manager to manage the house, he did a horrendous job. We sued him and the tenants.

2. Obviously you have little or no knowledge of rules of officership. It would bad juju for my husband to use his rank when dealing with his house. This is a separate matter. Now that doesn't mean that we didn't get the 5 airmen's chain of command involved. Believe me, let's just say we got an apology from their group commander (O-6) for their behavior, and every one of them got loads of trouble, one person was even dishonorably discharged after what he did to our house and a few other things.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
dont mean to sound insulting, but next time maybe you should monitor your home if youre going to rent it out for younger people, the fact that this much damage has occurred and your still considering young enlisted folks is kind of brainless ya know...

This is actually quite insulting-- I cannot legally discriminate based on age, marital status, sexual preference, race, or religion (or lack thereof). I can discriminate based on income, credit ratings, and criminal background checks. That's it. It's the law. If I break the law I could be fined, jailed, or blacklisted.

for your entire basement to have been covered in mouse feces sort of explains you didnt check the home out often enuff when you knew all this was happening...I wish you luck, your husband still being active duty should exercise his authority a little more in my opinon.

1. We were stationed in Germany, we paid a pretty poor property manager to manage the house, he did a horrendous job. We sued him and the tenants.

2. Obviously you have little or no knowledge of rules of officership. It would bad juju for my husband to use his rank when dealing with his house. This is a separate matter. Now that doesn't mean that we didn't get the 5 airmen's chain of command involved. Believe me, let's just say we got an apology from their group commander (O-6) for their behavior, and every one of them got loads of trouble, one person was even dishonorably discharged after what he did to our house and a few other things.
I was in the military 20 years, and what I observed/learned about most commissioned officers was they passed most of their problems over to me, and to most other senior enlisted personnel.... your whole post makes little to no sense at all, from the first one down to the last. good luck with whomever you rent to, it sounds like you are gonna need all you can get, both of you.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post
I was in the military 20 years, and what I observed/learned about most commissioned officers was they passed most of their problems over to me, and to most other senior enlisted personnel.... your whole post makes little to no sense at all, from the first one down to the last. good luck with whomever you rent to, it sounds like you are gonna need all you can get, both of you.
And they should not have. As an officer you are not supposed to throw your rank around or use it as a benefit to yourself. That's why we hired a property manager when rented out, because we didn't want to be tied up with rank issues. I was an officer, and I would have never passed my housing problems down to you, it's unprofessional. The only way I we used the chain of command in our rental house was to inform the first sergeant that the five airmen who rented our house (and caused all that damage) threw parties were they provided liquor to underaged people, and we showed him pictures of the damages to the house so that he could encourage them to not make us take legal matters. We had to sue them anyway, but it is not the senior NCOs responsibility to enforce a contract made between a property manager, an officer, and five airmen.

We actually did find a renter, he is a flight surgeon. The airmen are not meeting our credit requirements.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
And they should not have. As an officer you are not supposed to throw your rank around or use it as a benefit to yourself. That's why we hired a property manager when rented out, because we didn't want to be tied up with rank issues. I was an officer, and I would have never passed my housing problems down to you, it's unprofessional. The only way I we used the chain of command in our rental house was to inform the first sergeant that the five airmen who rented our house (and caused all that damage) threw parties were they provided liquor to underaged people, and we showed him pictures of the damages to the house so that he could encourage them to not make us take legal matters. We had to sue them anyway, but it is not the senior NCOs responsibility to enforce a contract made between a property manager, an officer, and five airmen.

We actually did find a renter, he is a flight surgeon. The airmen are not meeting our credit requirements.
thats not throwing your rank around, thats exercising your authority by delegating to the higher enlisted ranks who ARE responsible for the lower E's, and furthermore, the UCMJ is all you had to go by and taken it straight to the legal office first. part that I cant understand is you seem to not realize that the maturity of those ranks isnt even in the picture for a rental that high, but yet you keep it up front, even titled the thread that way, so as I said before, I hope YOU learn something this time, sticking w/the officers as probably youre only hope, if you cant do much better than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota