U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 02:00 PM

23 posts, read 92,499 times

Advertisements

Now, don't get me wrong, I love this state and while I went through a rebellious time as a teenager where I hated my home town for being so small (Fargo), I have grown to love it.

However, the job market is very tight and it seems unless you graduated from the "Big 4" (NDSU, UND, MSUM, Concordia) then your opprotunities for getting a job in IT is very limited. I was lucky in my career and was able to obtain a contracted position with Microsoft for a year, however now that the contract is over, I'm on the hunt and IT is very limited here.

I'm not too keen on southern california (weather, crime and cost of living) and not sure if the East Coast would be any better, however has anyone that makes their living in IT that has left North Dakota found a good location with a better job market? I hate to leave but I need more than the $30,000-$35,000 a year average found in Fargo. To own a home and afford to live in this area you need ~$50,000 a year income and that means having a spouse (which I currently do not have) to help. It also means that you can make $30,000-$35,000 and still have to rent an apartment or townhome. I'm getting to the age that I want my own home which can show stability for when I meet a potential spouse.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:03 PM

240 posts, read 1,316,524 times
I am not an IT professional, but generally speaking, contacts at your last place of employment are usually your best starting point. Although the contract was not renewed, at least one of your co-workers is likely to know of another opportunity within Microsoft that you might qualify for in another office there or out of state. Here, in Southern California, you need to earn far more than fifty thousand to purchase a home, although that could make a ten percent down payment on a modest home. Unless you have a lot of money saved up for a big move, I think your best bet is to stay relatively local by staying within the state or looking at job opportunities in Minnessota. Have you tried job boards like Monster.com or similar job boards that are specific to IT. Now that you have a year of job experience you might even try contacting some head hunting firms that specialize in placing IT professionals.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 AM

36 posts, read 67,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschott View Post
Now, don't get me wrong, I love this state and while I went through a rebellious time as a teenager where I hated my home town for being so small (Fargo), I have grown to love it.

However, the job market is very tight and it seems unless you graduated from the "Big 4" (NDSU, UND, MSUM, Concordia) then your opprotunities for getting a job in IT is very limited. I was lucky in my career and was able to obtain a contracted position with Microsoft for a year, however now that the contract is over, I'm on the hunt and IT is very limited here.

I'm not too keen on southern california (weather, crime and cost of living) and not sure if the East Coast would be any better, however has anyone that makes their living in IT that has left North Dakota found a good location with a better job market? I hate to leave but I need more than the $30,000-$35,000 a year average found in Fargo. To own a home and afford to live in this area you need ~$50,000 a year income and that means having a spouse (which I currently do not have) to help. It also means that you can make $30,000-$35,000 and still have to rent an apartment or townhome. I'm getting to the age that I want my own home which can show stability for when I meet a potential spouse.

Any suggestions?

Well, we are moving from Fargo down to AZ next week....
the job opportunities are endless.....
I have a friend that has been looking @ jobs down there and he's a IT manager and the jobs he's found start out @ $40 up to $60......
the housing down in AZ is great.....we are renting a home in Queen Creek
for $850.00 a month and it's a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom home....very nice homes down there...you get a lot of house for the $$$$.....

Old 06-17-2008, 09:05 AM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,142 posts, read 3,316,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschott View Post

I'm not too keen on southern california (weather, crime and cost of living) and not sure if the East Coast would be any better,
Newsflash: There is more to America than southern Calif. and/or the East Coast.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyu View Post
Well, we are moving from Fargo down to AZ next week....
the job opportunities are endless.....
I have a friend that has been looking @ jobs down there and he's a IT manager and the jobs he's found start out @ $40 up to $60......
the housing down in AZ is great.....we are renting a home in Queen Creek
for $850.00 a month and it's a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom home....very nice homes down there...you get a lot of house for the $$$$.....
Good luck on your move! I always feel that everyone should fine his/her place that they like. For me, I grew up in Kentucky and hated it there and the warm and humid summers and always wanted to move north as I dislike the warmth and sun and much rather have it cold and cloudier. As you can tell...70s and sun like today is not exactly my favorite type of weather. But to each his own.... Luckily I got a job transfer to Grand Forks that was higher in pay than the previous job.

Dan

Dan

Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM

246 posts, read 903,866 times
was kind of in your boat. after graduating from Minot State with a degree in Computer Science I got a job offer in ND and one on the East Coast which I took. The pay was better, but, really couldn't afford anything housing wise, and the area was just not what I liked.

Moved back here and I am much happier.

You may want to really look again at your options in ND for the state overall. Especially if you are looking in areas where housing has tanked.

Another thing to keep in mind is this, if they can find a cheaper way to do your job, they eventually will. outsourcing was a big thing where I was at as the pay was darn near close to CA levels. once they realized that the India route didn't give good results, they started outsourcing the jobs to cheaper places in the US.

ND has a big advantage here because of that compared to other places. You have quality people and what you pay is lower compared to the high dollar / high cost areas.

As for housing, don't be overally concerned with jumping in right now. I would work on storing away as much cash as possible, and give it a couple of years to see how things go with the economy. ND also has great programs to help first time home buyers. You being financially responsible shows more to a good spouse than any house, besides, a house taken at face value is a wooden box that sits out in the rain and rots. A home is what you make of it, and that is what a spouse will want with you.

Good luck on your hunt and hopefully things work out how you want. took me 4 years to get back, and glad I did.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:02 PM

9,173 posts, read 5,374,381 times
Seattle has a lot of negatives, but the tech job market here is still very strong. My company has multiple open QA and SDETs positions and can't find people qualified for the jobs, even the recruiters aren't sending decent people in for interviews, not many at all really.

The cost of living is higher here, but so are the wages. I made over $40,000 in my first testing (QA) position here 13 years ago and salaries have only gone up. Depending on your experience and the job you get $70,000+ wouldn't be unusual. Median home prices in the greater Seattle area are at $400,000 though, buying a house here is not easy unless you're moving in from CA.

If you can stand 9 months of gray skies and drizzle you might want to try the Seattle area.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:46 PM

161 posts, read 537,421 times
I've lived in Minneapolis, St. Louis, DC, Charlotte, & NJ.

DC was the most fun (bars, clubs, & whatnot) but its ungodly expensive.

Minneapolis was probably the best overall. Other places were/are nice too - ok maybe St. Louis isn't nice but it is fun. Can't argue with Charlotte Januarys.

Maybe see if there's anything in Bismarck too if you want to stay in ND though I doubt you'll have any more luck than you did Fargo. Another thought is Souix Falls - probably alot like Fargo - might have some openings - like Bismarck its really just another place to look. I've also heard good things about Des Moines Iowa.

Me I'd go for Chicago if I were moving somewhere but it really depends on what you like. Good luck.

Also, don't buy the "People outside ND" arn't - friendly / good people / honest / etc. Its bull. Yes ND is a nice place but so is most of the rest of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or