U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,064 times

Advertisements

Okay, so here's the deal. I am currently living in Houston, and my husband is transferring to with his job and it just so happens to be to Dickinson. I need to know everything about this city and their elementary schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 11,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson724 View Post
Okay, so here's the deal. I am currently living in Houston, and my husband is transferring to with his job and it just so happens to be to Dickinson. I need to know everything about this city and their elementary schools.

Sorry about the short post last time but I was in a hurry so let me be more specific. Me and my husband have lived in Texas all of our lives. We have a 5 year old daughter who will be starting kindergarten this school year. My husband who works for the Gov't is transferring to Dickinson. He will have to go up there for a while before my daughter and I come. What I am trying to find out is where in Dickinson is the best and safest place to live. Is there any specifics I need to know? Also, since we don't have a problem down here how do Dakotians view interracial couples and mixed children.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:26 AM

70 posts, read 368,644 times
I lived in Dickinson for several months and my parents still do. It's not a bad town and certainly a slower pace than Houston. It would be a big change for you since Dickinson is about the size of a small Houston suburb, but that might be a good thing.

One good thing is Dickinson isn't like Houston where if you turn the wrong corner you could be shot. Mostly any area in Dickinson is "safe". Seriously, you could walk pretty much anywhere in town in any part of the day or night and feel safe. Even around the bars people won't mess with you if you don't start with them.

Housing is going to go up with the new oil boom, but the cost of living is still much lower than you would find in Houston. There are a couple areas of nicer, newer homes and others with older ones. The downtown is nice with older buildings and a few shops. On the north end of town there is a small indoor mall and a brand new Super Walmart. For more shopping drive 100 miles east to the state capitol of Bismarck. They have all the big box stores like Lowes, Best Buy, Kohl's, Old Navy, Sam's Club and 2 Super Walmarts.

There is a state university in Dickinson. The university has done a good job at bringing in students from different ethnic groups. However interracial couples are still rare. In fact I have probably seen only 1 couple, a white woman and a black man. But I think that most people in the town are open minded enough to not think anything of it.

There are a few elementary schools and from what I have heard they are good. But since I don't have kids I haven't paid much attention to them.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM

37 posts, read 97,177 times
Dickinson is a very nice place to live. The people are very friendly and it is very safe as well. If you would like to talk more in depth please send me a message and I will give you more personal info like phone and everything. Have a good day, and you might want to google dickinson nd and pull up the cities website. It has a lot of info. Also look into the dickinson cvb and they can help too.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 12,379 times
Smile Dickinson

Dickinson is a very nice place to live. They have nice shops and a mall and several fast food places. Just remember North Dakota is cold and lots of snow in the winter. So winter coats and boots. Daycare is nice to my girl friend lives in Dickinson and She loves it. Her husband is principle of the school. And several nice cafe's to eat in and thrift stores. Also when nothing to do and want to discover other places. South Dakota has intersting sites to view. Kids would love it. Sef

Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,038 times
Dickinson Catholic Schools, offering a Christian based education, has 2 elementary schools and one jr/sr high school. enrollment at the elems is about 125 at each building. Trinity Elementary West is Pre - 6 and Trinity Elementary East is K - 6. the web address for Trinity High School is [url=http://www.trinityhighschool.com]Trinity High School[/url]. There are links to both of the elementary schools.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:22 PM

139 posts, read 413,368 times
I lived in Dickinson for 4 years and it's a very nice place to live. If you want out of the rat race, Dickinson is a nice location. The only thing connecting you and the rest of civilization is the interstate.

I have walked/driven every street in Dickinson at all hours, and i've never felt anything but safe.

Specifics:
-Be prepared for harsh winters
-the cost of living will be a big shock (in a good way)
-You have the small mall, the super wal-mart, few good grocery stores..
-You are very close to all things outdoors in North Dakota

Not sure of the housing situation or schools, I remember finding a rental within 3 days of my relocation there. So you shouldn't have a problem there.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:19 AM

979 posts, read 3,349,464 times
Like Williston, Dickinson is going through the current oil boom. Housing and rentals are very hard to find in Dickinson right now. You best check with some local realtors to check out the housing-rental markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota