Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times

Advertisements

I'll probably be bashed for this, but what do North Dakotans think of South Dakota?
How many of you have been to SD?
For me, I've seen about every part of ND, except for the NW part....(I-94 north & Missouri River west)
How many of you have been in SD?
I've been seeing a lot of ND license plates in Sioux Falls.
No bad stuff... I just wanna hear opinions/experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 06:41 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times
What's not to like about South Dakota?? We in Bismarck see lots of South Dakota plates as many North Central South Dakota shop and do business here. Many college age kids attend Bismarck State and Univ. of Mary. The farther North you go in North Dakota, they tend to see less South Dakota plates (but did notice lots in the Williston area...probably because of the oil boom and lots of young workers up there)...but Williston-Minot-Devils Lake-Grand Forks...probably see more Canadian traffic, Williston see's Montana plates, and Grand Forks see Minnesota plates. I think most North Dakotan's have visited the Black Hills and Deadwood at least once, if not more...for me...not Sioux Falls so much...only because I don't do any business there. But have heard it is a very nice city...and growing rapidly. We in ND like SD.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM

38 posts, read 199,358 times
Hi,

I liked SD. I lived in Rapid City a couple years. I really liked the Black Hill and Spearfish. I kinda think of ND and SD as one big Dakota.
I live in ND now.

Dave N.
<><

Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM

I love ND as well. I hope one day to visit the Williston/Minot area. I'm a ghost town buff...and have visited quite a few up there... like Arena & Merricourt. There are two guys that visit the ghost towns in ND... Here's a link:
GhostsOfNorthDakota.com

I really liked Bismarck/Mandan. There's a certain charm to it, I think. When I was growing up in SD, I only lived a few miles from the ND border.

Does anybody know what happened with changing the name of ND to just Dakota? Or was that just a crazy idea?

Old 09-30-2008, 10:05 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times
Oh that was a little embarassing...it happened in 1989 I think...group proposed to get a bill passed for changing ND to plain Dakota...hoping people from out of state would look at ND differently...not as cold (north)...but the legislatures voted it down. It made national news and everything, but in a bad way...there were jokes, and newspaper and magazine articles joking about it. At one time (before ND and SD went their seperate ways) we WERE called Dakota. Sometimes, I think it would be nice if we were one state...we would be 1.5 million people strong, and would be able to share our assets...you know...SD has the beautiful Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, badlands, ND has Theodore Roosevelt parks, north and south units, huge oil and coal reserves, BOTH states have wonderful recreation and fisheries with Oahe, sakackawea, Devils Lake, etc... apart, we are both unique, but together, we would have been even MORE unique.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 PM

268 posts, read 1,613,901 times
I hate South Dakota. It's in the way of my travel destinations in Nebraska and Kansas. If we could have a giant biopsy to remove it and put it, say, in an ocean that would be cool. It'll cut a few hours off my drive.

I kid, I kid...

Old 09-30-2008, 11:15 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
ditto

Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 AM

9 posts, read 21,771 times
I went on vacation in SD 2 summers ago. I really enjoyed it, the landscape was beautiful. I really would like to go back again if I get the chance.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:52 AM

109 posts, read 441,238 times
I love driving in SD. I'm from Mandan and when a friend and I went to visit Mt. Rushmore this past summer, the scenery was just beautiful. And Rapid City has a Sonic, the first one I've ever seen! But Bismarck has the only Big Boy for miles and miles and miles, and many South Dakotans are damned to never knowing the deliciousness of a pizza burger flying style.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:04 PM

Huttah, I've seen Big Boy on the Food Network! How is it?
We have 2 Sonics in Sioux Falls...I'm sure they'll head up there to ND... Fargo, Grand Forks, and Bismarck would all be great markets for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota