U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 11,720 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but have been reading up on the pros and cons of living in North Dakota. I personally want to know a couple of things because I have been wanting to transfer to the University of North Dakota to gain a degree in history and become a history teacher.

The first thing I would like to know is, how easy would it be for me to obtain a part time job to help pay for school finances and living expenses?

Secondly, how are the public transportation systems? I haven't been able to secure my own vehicle at the moment, so I would have to rely on said public transportation.

And finally, how would an out of state student fair with costs of living in a regular apartment? Would he or she be able to live comfortably there, or would they be better off leaving back to their normal homes during summer breaks? This one is a really important question because I live in South Carolina and would really rather stay away from having to come back each and every summer.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 AM

3,716 posts, read 5,471,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmurdock View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but have been reading up on the pros and cons of living in North Dakota. I personally want to know a couple of things because I have been wanting to transfer to the University of North Dakota to gain a degree in history and become a history teacher.

The first thing I would like to know is, how easy would it be for me to obtain a part time job to help pay for school finances and living expenses?

Secondly, how are the public transportation systems? I haven't been able to secure my own vehicle at the moment, so I would have to rely on said public transportation.

And finally, how would an out of state student fair with costs of living in a regular apartment? Would he or she be able to live comfortably there, or would they be better off leaving back to their normal homes during summer breaks? This one is a really important question because I live in South Carolina and would really rather stay away from having to come back each and every summer.

Thanks in advance.
I live/work in Grand Forks area home of UND.... getting a part time job should be pretty easy...lots of those type....of course depends on what you want. There are many restaurant-server type jobs, amazon.com has a phone customer service place in town and is always looking for seasonal or part time help, there are others but those two pop in my head.

Public transportation is so-so....there is a public transit system in grand forks

Cities Area Transit

You can check routes....I dont know if the frequency of run times would be enough to do errands, go to work, etc... I know someone who didnt have a car and he took a taxi to/from work each day as his work was not on the bus line.

There have been many new apartment buildings built in the past years making vacancies a bit easier to come by, so you should have a pretty wide open choice. Check craiglist for some as well as do a search for property management grand forks for a list of companies and their websites. Most 1 BR will run 350-500 depending on age.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 PM

203 posts, read 364,331 times
Default School n GF

Didn't attend UND, but when I was in school, waiting tables was one of the better gigs, especially in a hi-volume restaurant (Chilis, Outback, etc...)because you always had cash in your pocket. Also I found that taking the bus was much cheaper and simpler than driving to campus, and hassling with parking, passes, and tickets.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:47 PM

16 posts, read 26,049 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Hello and welcome to the area. There are many part time jobs in the area, you could probably even work on campus part time. When I became a student at UND it was no extra fees like some universities charge out states fees. Und is a great school and once I complete my degree I plan to continue my studies. Also, there are campus apartments available if you need help with this I can direct you too the housing manager. Some people decide to live off campus, but you can find some of the apartments on aparment finders or apartment guide one of those. I think the campus apartments are nice, I live in one of the new properties, which only been here for two or three years, but they are nice and you walk to the campus, the book store, stadium and much more. If you have any other questions you can inbo me and I will be happy to help you with your questions.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:39 PM

271 posts, read 287,343 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
The best option would be to get an apartment close to campus and find a part time job either near your apartment or near one of the campus bus routes. The farther your job is from your apartment the more spotty the transportation options become. Also one thing to keep in mind is that if you manage to find a job near where you want to live the distance you would be willing to walk to work will most likely be drastically shorter during the winter. I was born and raised in the Seattle area so the winter was quite a change for me. However, as long as you have a good attitude about it and dress smart you shouldn't have any problems. One more thing I might add, you only have to live in ND for one year to establish residency and get the in-state tuition rate.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM

23 posts, read 55,016 times
Default Another viewpoint

I am from Texas originally, I have lived in North Dakota twice, and I will say there are three major sub-regions--- western North Dakota (think west of the Missouri) people tend to be "western" in the Montana sense--- polite, friendly, and generally mind there own business--- in Fargo (eastern North Dakota), it isnt very different from Minnesota, very Scandinavian liberal (think like Sweden)--- the problem area is the middle,especially Minot. I am a white man with black hair, and around there, a lot of people treated me in the fashion that illegals are treated in many places... Furthermore, I had a random person in a bar ask me once why I had Native American friends, I said "why?" and he said to me that "You know how in the south, you have (expletive for blacks)--- well, here, the Indians are our ()".... Stay away from central ND, and you will be fine.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 AM

122 posts, read 260,118 times
Dan when we were there we heard a fair number of racist comments - I don't think they are rabid about it. We had to inform one friend that we didn't use the "N" word in our house and he respected that wish.

Reading these posts today makes me really miss ND. We spent the most miserable winter of our life in CA (we took the motor home back to visit friends and family). It was either gray fog blanketing us or pouring rain. By March when we were trying to leave the motorhome had been surrounded by water and mud! Everything stank like peat mud and mold. Gaaaaack.

I missed the crisp blessed cold of ND, the friendly people who really cared for their neighbors. I missed the crystal white snow.

Now we are in WA state on the high desert and we are enjoying the summer here. NO TORNADOES! No ticks. No humidity. I am told we'll have a cold winter - but we aren't too worried.

We are looking forward to getting back to ND - but have to put it off until next fall or winter for financial reasons. We miss the good friends we have back there and the wonderful "family" that adopted us. The area we are in now reminds us of ND in many ways - perhaps that's why we like it here.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 16,076 times
Default Ok Then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
I'm not entirely partial to North Dakota (I'm a liberal larger-city child at heart), and not to call you a liar or anything, but I kinda have my doubts on your post. firstly, you joined just today to claim that fargo is awful and posted no where else. And if your daughter is 7 now, that means you left when she was... 4-5ish. that's too young by ND standards to go to kindergarten so I'm wondering if it was the daycares or the other children that were treating her so awfully that it left her with terrors of ND snow. Then there is the issue that considering your daughter is 7, I'm presuming you to be about 25-30, and the majority of african-americans I know (I work with many) are about that age and LIKE living here because its peaceful and close-knit. Once again, I'm not saying you're a liar, but I think there is more to the story than you are telling.

As someone who doesn't like living here, I'll be fair. Other than the topic of cold, ND really is a matter of preference. Its small towns (fargo is the biggest at a whopping 96,000 or so) so if you socialize, you tend to know everyone and there is little crime. The majority are kinda conservative and love their church and hunting. People are kinda passive/aggressive about everything because they care what people think about them, but that also makes them polite. the landscape is mind-bogglingly flat, but it does make for amazing sunsets. Housing is cheap, but wages are low so it evens out. There's a lot of pride in the culture of the area, but because of that, a lot of outside culture kinda gets overlooked. Fargo is trying to work on that. Its still rather insular and you'll either love it or hate it. Jobs are more plentiful here than elsewhere in the USA currently, but most of the jobs are in service or manual labor and if you want an HR job, you'd better land one in advance or you'll be spending a loooooong time as a cashier while you try to outdo the competition just to get your foot in the door somewhere.

So yeah, I think that's a pretty fair assessment. If the above sounds good to you, I'd say go for it. Racism isn't so much a problem as is the kind of person you are. If you're friendly and don't "rock the boat" much, almost everyone will give you a chance.
Hey Maud, I am originally from Fargo, I had to come back to take care of some family stuff and had to stay for awhile, I have only had one other post too, this is because I hate fargo so much I felt passionate about it and decided to register.
96,000 people is not a lot of people, and yes it is bitter cold (so cold you take a breath and your lungs can freeze up on you), people love to socialize here cuz they want to know your business and spread it around
housing is cheap cuz no one cares about the design or Architecture, everything is very shaker, you can't rent a nice house to save your life, the only thing fargonians like to do is eat and talk about everyone else or gawk at you, yea don't rock the boat, I will agree with you on that one, and god forbid you should be unlucky enough to get caught up in the legal system. My brother was wrongfully arrested in west fargo, the charges were dropped, but not before the detective went out of his way to call the landlord and make false, (wasn't even about the charge) accusations about him tying to get him evicted. what kind of rat jerk would do that?
If you like people watching you, getting into your business
treating you nice, then kicking you when you are down
then this place is for you
hey maud, what color are you?
you cannot really say how racism is unless you are a minority
can you
I moved to a town near Atlanta, People are really nice here
I plan on leaving this place soon
My kids are starting to pray at the dinner table to god to let us leave, that is how bad it is.
I am american indian, by the way
If you have questions about weather I am real or not ask me a question only someone from fargo would know, like the fact that Menards use to be behind the Mall or there use to be a Chi Chi's in town.
Yea, I'm real and it Sucks.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esj414 View Post
Question about Native Americans. Please forgive me if this is silly or insensitive questions. We are coming from Washington, DC. Would it be considered rude or offensive to wear my Redskins jersey? We just want to root for the home team
No, Native Americans are very tolerant of others, befriend on if you can, as we are very loyal.
Unlike a lot of other cultures Native Americans are not prejudice against other cultures, they look at the kind of person you are and once they accept you as family, they accept you for life.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicajo View Post
Im from Fargo, ND.

Living here is great if you like nice friendly people, we dont discrimate unless you want to be discriminated against. Meaning if you act like a person who wants to be labeled we will. But if your African American, nice and friendly we will have no problem treating you the same nice friendly way. Color doesnt mean much, theres not a lot of black people hear tho just so you know. But we are all nice! Treat people the way you want to be treated!

The crime rate is low. cost of living is low. If you want to raise a family I would suggest West Fargo, Is nicer and more family friendly there. you dont get the busy life and have access to nicer neighborhood and great shopping!

I like fargo but Im moving because its too flat! and I mean really really flat. Not even a hill for miles! Its cold in the winter. Its Jan 4th today and its -14 outside. it was -38 a few days ago. Make sure you have a good car and take the time to learn how to drive in the snow and ice!

best wishes!
Yea, west fargo is better now that the meat packing plant is gone.
but what is up with the water, it tastes like crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota