U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-31-2009, 12:44 AM

231 posts, read 419,471 times
i have never been to washington, dc, but it has been my experience everywhere else that "racism" isn't an issue until someone accuses another of it. if a black guy says "you didn't hire me because i'm black", suddenly, the employer is ostracized (it doesn't matter that the black applicant was less qualified).

racial/handicap/sexual tension is basically a moot point until someone blurts an accusation that breaks everything. this country has become hyper-sensitive to the most ridiculous things; we need to readjust ourselves to have slightly tougher skin. case in point, i have a partially crippled friend (his knees don't function like they should) and i make jokes about him all the time. the only way to get over the problems of "race" is to accept that it can't be changed and treat it just like every other characteristic (big nose, red hair, club foot, perfect teeth, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-04-2010, 12:32 PM

14 posts, read 95,164 times
Im from Fargo, ND.

Living here is great if you like nice friendly people, we dont discrimate unless you want to be discriminated against. Meaning if you act like a person who wants to be labeled we will. But if your African American, nice and friendly we will have no problem treating you the same nice friendly way. Color doesnt mean much, theres not a lot of black people hear tho just so you know. But we are all nice! Treat people the way you want to be treated!

The crime rate is low. cost of living is low. If you want to raise a family I would suggest West Fargo, Is nicer and more family friendly there. you dont get the busy life and have access to nicer neighborhood and great shopping!

I like fargo but Im moving because its too flat! and I mean really really flat. Not even a hill for miles! Its cold in the winter. Its Jan 4th today and its -14 outside. it was -38 a few days ago. Make sure you have a good car and take the time to learn how to drive in the snow and ice!

best wishes!

Unread 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM

14 posts, read 39,146 times
I have seen lots of black people around Minot. Doesn't seem to be a big deal, and I don't know any racists. We just moved here and everyone has been incredibly nice.

Unread 01-08-2010, 01:42 AM

17 posts, read 39,149 times
I would say Fargo is not racist at all. I have never encountered it here. If there is any racism here I would say that the Native American population is fairly marginalized, but that can be said on a national scale. The schools are good and the people are friendly and honest for the most part. I don't think Fargo is a conservative town by any means, its not a liberal hot bed but its not a backwoods conservative hangout. Its a fairly moderate city. People here are very middle of the road and really don't like extremes on either end. I don't think its a "small town" its not a big city but the metro is pushing about 200,000 people and is usually busier than that because the fact it is the largest city in th e region as Minneapolis is 4 hours away. So for most of eastern ND, western MN and northern SD they usually come here. I like it here for the most part, but the winters can be brutal. However, it is usually only about two weeks of extremely bitter cold and then all uphill from here. The summers are probably some of the most fun I've had out of anywhere I've ever lived because everything just comes to life. People get sick of sitting inside all winter so a lot of outdoor activites will take place in the summer and the city feels full of life then. The crime rate is low, though there are some parts I would not live and theres probably only 2 places in the FM area that I would not feel safe in at night. So take a visit and try it for yourself.

Unread 01-14-2010, 12:15 PM

115 posts, read 136,851 times
We are looking to move to ND in the summer. We loved it when we visited last summer(minot, dickinson area)! My only concern is how my gay son will be treated. He is a good kid, but really shy and somewhat withdrawn because in the state we live in it is consider a "sin against god and society."

Unread 01-14-2010, 01:50 PM

600 posts, read 745,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppiepc View Post
We are looking to move to ND in the summer. We loved it when we visited last summer(minot, dickinson area)! My only concern is how my gay son will be treated. He is a good kid, but really shy and somewhat withdrawn because in the state we live in it is consider a "sin against god and society."
I know you are proud of him, but if you don't tell people they won't know..right? And why would you go around telling everyone he is gay? Unless.............

Unread 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM

325 posts, read 985,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppiepc View Post
Wow! Just thought I'd put my 2-cents worth, if its worth it at all...
The gay thing is a difficult subject for many people. I will honestly say that I don't know the answers. But, saying that, in North Dakota, most people still believe in the old fashion way. It's a darn hard topic to talk about when we all still feel we are still normal. Its not about putting down another life-style, because we, speaking for me and some others, believe we should love our brothers and sisters. And saying that, I believe the tradional ways should never change. Marriage is still between a man and a woman. However, a relationship between a same sex couple is probably not norm, but tollerated, at best. I think you will find different reactions no matter where you go in North Dakota. Thats just my assesment.. Hope all works out for you and your son..
God Bless!

Unread 01-14-2010, 05:39 PM

122 posts, read 231,550 times
I think it depends a lot on the "person". We had a very very dear friend who was gay - but no one we knew, gay bashers included (and this was in CA), loved him to pieces. It was his heart, his demeanor, and the way he treated everyone he met. He wasn't pushy or obviously flaming, he'd have made friends here in a heartbeat - well okay three or four heartbeats.

Good wishes to both of you . North Dakota is the most wonderful place to live.

I have to share a bit & it may be TMI: I am a 5 year breast cancer survivor, but I am tired of being a zombie from the medications they have been giving me. Getting a healthy life is one of our prime reasons for being here. I went to my new North Dakota DR. yesterday, he listened to me, asked all the right questions, switched 2 of my meds and I feel 100% better. Geeze, he made the changes I kept asking the docs back in CA to make with no response! Hoooray! I'm going to be able to really enjoy life here.

Unread 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM

156 posts, read 695,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esj414 View Post
Question about Native Americans. Please forgive me if this is silly or insensitive questions. We are coming from Washington, DC. Would it be considered rude or offensive to wear my Redskins jersey? We just want to root for the home team
As a cowboys fan, I take great offense to you wearing that jersey.

Unread 01-15-2010, 04:38 PM

122 posts, read 231,550 times
I will proudly wear my 49ers stuff, and hide my Seahawks jerseys in shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota