Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

Count me as one of the "crazies" as it was my life dream to move to this part of the country where I am at now...Grand Forks-East Grand Forks. After seeing the flood in 1997, it really became important to me to move here to be part of a re-building of the two communities.

I work in the weather business and upon graduating from college and entering the National Weather Service it was my dream to advance my up the career ladder and come up here. I am from Kentucky originally and hate summer and the heat/humidity with a passion. I love the cold/wind and dark day of winter. I dont know why just always have been like that. My mom said while growing up down south I would stay inside in the summer with the shades drawn and A/C on but once it snowed in the winter (not that often down there) I would go outside all day.

Still that way now....I watch the leaves fall and days get shorter and anxiously await the first snow. Granted my March the snow gets really dirty I am more of a cold fan though than snow....as snow amounts here are not that great.... My favorite winter day would be -10 degrees at noon...sunshine...north wind 5 mph....12 inches of fresh snow on the ground. So dry it makes that crunchy sound when walked on.

Takes all kinds...

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 11:10 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
You're crazy!

Granted, It gets cold in Sioux Falls............It's nothing(almost nothing) compared to the Northern part of the Red River Valley.

Call me crazy if I'm wrong.
Yeah you are crazy ... The Dakotas experience very similar weather... It may get a few knocks colder up in ND, but its basically the same.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:45 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,844 times
You're not crazy--for a meteorologist. I've heard more than one meteorologist say that a place like San Diego or Hawaii would be awful to work in--the weather always stays the same, it's boring, there are not many major systems/changes to watch and track.
I definitely like the four seasons, but -30 gets to be a bit hard to take.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:16 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Dan is right on the mark when it comes to weather that I prefer also. I just got back from a road trip through North Dakota. I headed up to Williston and drove into 8 inches of snow. I think that's even early for NoDak to have that much snow. I went through a bunch of smaller towns on the Route 5 corridor like Bottineau, Langdon and Cavalier, then took a drive up to Pembina right next to the Canadian border. I would have liked to cross into Manitoba, but since I don't have a passport you might have a problem getting back in. I wanted to see these towns as more than just a spot on the map. I can only imagine what a winter must be like in Northeast NoDak.

I actually saw a gas station advertising Diesel #1; that's a diesel formulation used in very cold climates. Yep, my kind of place. I've purchased some acreage in Williston and can't wait to get situated up there. I'll be looking forward to the first winter up there and especially the first cold wave and blizzard. Call me crazy, but it's what I like. I've always had a preference for extreme winter weather ever since I was little. No Cali or Florida for me - not in a million years; way too boring.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:50 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
My ex-gf from Fargo calls it the frozen tundra.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,264 times
I've been through 130 and -30, they suck equally.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:00 PM

23 posts, read 91,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Fargo is a pretty far cry from a frozen tundra. Try Nunavut, or Prudhoe Bay.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:31 PM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Eh, Hibbing, MN or Tower, MN is a tad colder than Fargo.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Cold is cold. I hope we have a hard winter. The more snow the better.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Cold is cold. I hope we have a hard winter. The more snow the better.
We already had our first major snow storm earlier this week in PA so we beat you there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota