Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,954,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiagd View Post
Hi Everyone!

My husband is also in the AF and possibly be getting stationed at Grand Forks AFB in February Can anyone tell me how it is like living there? Is it safe? What is there to do? How are schools (we're expecting a child in October). Also, does anyone know how the market is there for RNs? I'm currently an RN in California, but has had no luck with finding a job here (market here is horrible). Any information would be great! Thanks everyone!
I have lived in the Grand Forks area for over 10 years. The community is safe with violent crime very low....property crime and such are low but a bit closer to national rates. Of course, the caveat nowadays is that very low crime doesnt mean no crime. But taking the very basic precautions, you will have no issues. There isnt a bad part of town per se. The north end of town has always been more industrial and a bit drab looking (Highway 2 - Gateway Dr) while the south end has more of the shopping and restaurants and newer homes.

Public schools are very good. There is a Catholic school system (K-12) as well and one K-8 Non-demonational Christian school (Riverside).

Grand Forks overall is a pretty quiet place to live. But we do have the Univ of North Dakota and that offers more things to do than maybe typical towns do of our size. This being sporting events, with hockey being the most popular, along with the occasional plays, musical acts, etc coming through town. Fargo is a larger city 70 miles south and it offers more in the way of concerts.

There are distinct seasons with wide swings in temperatures in each. Winters can be long and cold, and you got to make the most of them. Snowfall and wind is common....though amounts of snow is lower than one would think and not as high as those near the Great Lakes or the Rockies. Cold air is our claim to fame. And yes we can have those outbreaks with a week or so of highs around zero and lows -20 to -30.....but we can have our days with highs of 20 too....though getting above freezing doesnt happen that often between mid December and mid February. Our snow is dry and we are flat and when the wind blows....blowing snow can cause issues in the country and US 2 between the city and the base can be shut down. This though may only happen a handful of times each year.

Summers are nice....lots of 70s and 80s with a few 90s. We can have stretches of muggy/humid weather but that doesnt last too long before cooler and drier air arrives from the northwest. Fall is our best season....though short....as it is often our driest time of year precipitation wise with crisp mornings and sunny mild afternoons. Our fall season I would say is from mid Sept to late October. By Halloween...the leaves are mostly fallen and in most years there has been at least a light snowfall by then. Springs can be wet and muddy as the snow melts and the ground thaws out. Though this year April was a welcome break as it was very mild and dry.

Overall, I like it here. It can take a while to get to know neighbors, as most folks tend to keep to themselves until they get to know you.

As for RN job market....I cant answer that one much. We do have Altru hospital and clinic and there is a clinic that opened up recently that was started by some doctors from Altru. And they are building a small hospital as well that will be finished as well. This new medical place is called Aurora medical park. We do have a psych center and several nursing homes, etc.
So our medical field in town is growing at least....but if that translates to more RN jobs I dont know. I suggest maybe going to the Altru or Aurora web sites and checking out job openings or also checking Job Service North Dakota web site or job listings on Grand Forks herald. There are smaller towns nearby that might have openings too in places such as Crookston which is 40 minutes to the east or Mayville or Grafton ND which are close by too.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 12:44 AM

13 posts, read 66,716 times
Thank you DaninEGF! From what I've read and researched, Grand Forks does indeed seem to be a nice quiet place to live. It would be a big change, but I do welcome change! Thank you for all your help!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,954,834 times
I am glad I was of some help. If you have any further questions I will do my best to answer them. I like it here. Some folks who move here do not...just depends on what you expect when arriving. Come with an open mind and you will do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota