U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 AM

7 posts, read 21,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
wat type of constructio do you do
Residential construction. I've been building homes from the ground up for over a decade and worked a few years before that for other builders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
do you have a cdl drivers lic.?
I don't. Is that something I should have?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:06 AM

485 posts, read 655,255 times
Default jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka4 View Post
I don't. Is that something I should have?
i am currantly having a house built and thinking of building moore,likr a four plex or something?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:57 PM

428 posts, read 1,110,881 times
Here's the tally for 2008:
Bismarck 255 permits for single family home, total permits 304
Fargo 222 permits for single family homes, total permits 480
Grand Forks permits for single family homes 65, total permits 109
Minot permits for single family homes 152, total pemits 367 up from 174 for 2007

Minot has a big boom due to the oil and military. We do not have enough housing or construction people, electricians, roofers, or plumbers. It takes a week or more to even get a electrician to look at your home. Roofers are worst. We're talking months to get shingles. It rained in my bedroom, but I had to wait 45 days before they could replace my roof shingles. Some local contractors have so much work, they keep all of their employees working all through winter.

Williston has had a big boom also. Tioga, you would be wasting your time and money. You need to go where the action is.

Oil has slowed down but we are expecting it to pick up soon once the weather turns warm.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
i am currantly having a house built and thinking of building moore,likr a four plex or something?
You looking for builders?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity View Post
Here's the tally for 2008:
Bismarck 255 permits for single family home, total permits 304
Fargo 222 permits for single family homes, total permits 480
Grand Forks permits for single family homes 65, total permits 109
Minot permits for single family homes 152, total pemits 367 up from 174 for 2007

Minot has a big boom due to the oil and military. We do not have enough housing or construction people, electricians, roofers, or plumbers. It takes a week or more to even get a electrician to look at your home. Roofers are worst. We're talking months to get shingles. It rained in my bedroom, but I had to wait 45 days before they could replace my roof shingles. Some local contractors have so much work, they keep all of their employees working all through winter.

Williston has had a big boom also. Tioga, you would be wasting your time and money. You need to go where the action is.

Oil has slowed down but we are expecting it to pick up soon once the weather turns warm.
Hope this helps.
It does. Thank you.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 PM

Default builders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka4 View Post
You looking for builders?
i know a guy who is looking for crews to put up pole buildings! and he has a lot of them to do

Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 18,219 times
A CDL helps you get a lot of jobs in ND, especially oilfield jobs. My dad owns an oilfield company. Oil has really slowed down in the last year, but he also expects it to pick up again. When oil was booming here, people were quitting jobs they'd worked at 20 or 30 years to go to the oilfields. Who wouldn't when you would go from getting paid $10/hour to $25-$30? There are a lot of construction companies struggling right now because building has all but ground to a halt. Also, when you're looking around it's going to look like our wages are very poor compared to WI. Keep in mind that our cost of living is EXTREMELY low. We moved to MN when they promised triple the pay we were getting in ND...it sounded great until we got there and realized how much it cost to live there and that our water/sewer/garbage bill went from $30/month to $200/month.

Mining is another area that is booming and those jobs pay pretty high here, also.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:16 PM

409 posts, read 857,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Yes it does!! We literally spend hours online everyday checking job postings and newspapers,etc. IT"S AWFUL!!!! Are ya'll looking to move out of ND?

Sorry I never saw this post earlier. We recently moved to Santa Fe, NM.

For those of you looking into oil-field work...I would seriously look deep into it before jumping. I don't know anything about the profession, but we do have wells on our land in north western ND and the price of oil (however that works) has dropped quite a bit. Maybe it is...or maybe its not the job to get into at this point. Again..like I said I don't know how it all works..just check into it first.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 PM

oil has to stay around 65 or 70 dollars a barrel to make a oil boom work nd has been worked up by boom in the past only to go bust in around 3 to 5 years there is no way to be fur sure of what will come!it was nice the last year or so,but is slowing! it is like there are people that are coming in by the hundreds,housing shortage hotels are all full? but i fear a lot of people are going to be let down hard if they are planning to make a life time move to nd,the ones for the oil boom,the others that have lasted will always be here who dont just survive off of the boom!but the boom does make it nice while it last,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota