Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM

25,740 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassamatta View Post
The market will charge what the market will bear...

I recently moved to a nice part of town, (up the hill from Belair school), near the campus, got 2600 sq ft, 4 beds, 3 baths, for just over 200K. That doesn't seem unreasonable. Sure, we have some painting to do, etc..., but that's part of the process. The problem is that you have to be quick on your feet and buy the 1st or 2nd day the house is on the market.

And having the government regulate housing prices really is a ridiculous idea..... I know of very few towns where you can get a decent house for 100K, and I've lived in Texas, UT, NY.....

I know it's off topic, but I'm extremely curious... you say you've lived in Utah and I assume you now live in North Dakota. I'm planning the same move (about an hour outside of Grand Forks in the Park River area). So having live(d) in both places, how do North Dakota and Utah compare--just generally speaking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 AM

42 posts, read 114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I know it's off topic, but I'm extremely curious... you say you've lived in Utah and I assume you now live in North Dakota. I'm planning the same move (about an hour outside of Grand Forks in the Park River area). So having live(d) in both places, how do North Dakota and Utah compare--just generally speaking?
In what respects: people, economy, etc...?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM

454 posts, read 940,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Why in the WORLD would you have an outhouse in north dakota?! I mean, realistically, would you go to the bathroom for years and years in -40 winters? I think not. And I don't think my demand for 2 bathrooms is ridiculous. Especially when you have guests come and stay. Who wants to wait in line at your own house while 5 people have to use the bathroom?! That is sweet that he was building an indoor bathroom, though. And I agree with the hot tub!!!! An indoor hot tub as an outside one would probably freeze lol
LOL! The comments about the outhouse in this thread crack me up ! On a more serious note and the reason why we DO have an outhouse (yes, in the year 2010 we STILL have an outhouse) is in case of the loss of electricity. We get our water supply from a town that is 30 miles away from our farm. If the electricity goes out and it takes the water pumps out with it, we are unable to flush. Well, we would have one flush left from the water that was in the tank of the toilet, but that's it. I guess if I had to pick between going in a 5 gallon bucket with a garbage bag liner or using the outhouse, the outhouse wins, hands down. Who wants to dispose of that garbage bag after it's used? Not me .

I think also what I noticed is that maybe some of us out here on the prairie are not so far removed from our homesteading ancestors as maybe others who were raised in the bigger cities and towns are. Most people I know around here think nothing of going out in the field behind a tree or a clump pf tall weeds or near the barn if they are out doing any kind of work such as harvest, chores, fencing etc. It's just alot easier than driving several miles to take care of certain things.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 818 times
It is nothing but greed plain and simple. The influx of air force personel has no effect those people have been here since 2009. Some of it has to do with the oil boom. Mostly it has to do with the chance the 2011 flood gave all the rental companies they knew people would be looking for new places to live outside the bowl. And they knew there would be a housing shorting for at least 3 years. So the companies saw an opportunity to gouge those looking for a place. I still remember the minot mayor saying "there will be no price gouging" yeah right. The plain and simple fact is as long as the right people are getting filthy rich we are going to keep getting screwed. It should be illegal i have heard about apartment buildings no where near the flood that are basically kicking people out to raise the rent 400 percent so they can cash in. I have gone directly to these rental companies and point blank asked them why rates are so high now for the same crummy apartments. Some say oil or the air force but when i tell them why its notthat they just shrug and say " I dont Know" only one secretary at one rental agency was honest and told me there is no reason the just want to make more money. so the reason for the high prices in minot ......there is no reason they just want more money.... my advice move to fargo or write your senator or congressman about to see if they will do anything about it. Dont write rick berg though cause he owns a rental company.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthkev77 View Post
It is nothing but greed plain and simple. The influx of air force personel has no effect those people have been here since 2009. Some of it has to do with the oil boom. Mostly it has to do with the chance the 2011 flood gave all the rental companies they knew people would be looking for new places to live outside the bowl. And they knew there would be a housing shorting for at least 3 years. So the companies saw an opportunity to gouge those looking for a place. I still remember the minot mayor saying "there will be no price gouging" yeah right. The plain and simple fact is as long as the right people are getting filthy rich we are going to keep getting screwed. It should be illegal i have heard about apartment buildings no where near the flood that are basically kicking people out to raise the rent 400 percent so they can cash in. I have gone directly to these rental companies and point blank asked them why rates are so high now for the same crummy apartments. Some say oil or the air force but when i tell them why its notthat they just shrug and say " I dont Know" only one secretary at one rental agency was honest and told me there is no reason the just want to make more money. so the reason for the high prices in minot ......there is no reason they just want more money.... my advice move to fargo or write your senator or congressman about to see if they will do anything about it. Dont write rick berg though cause he owns a rental company.
The post you are responding to is 2 years old...

Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
The post you are responding to is 2 years old...
Kinda shoots a hole in the 2011 flood theory, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota