U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM

5 posts, read 8,062 times

Advertisements

Im thinking about moving to North Dakota, im not sure where yet, any help would be nice. I live in southern calif now and its getting bad, there are no jobs and times are the worst i have ever seen. thank you for any advise. mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 04:27 PM

43 posts, read 144,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalifmike View Post
Im thinking about moving to North Dakota, im not sure where yet, any help would be nice. I live in southern calif now and its getting bad, there are no jobs and times are the worst i have ever seen. thank you for any advise. mike
You'll never make it here. There aren't enough people, diversity, or warm weather to satisify anyone I've met from SoCal. Check out Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN; Duluth, MN; Chicago, IL; or Madison, WI areas.

If you're not high and serious about the idea of moving here, I suggest visiting sometime between November - March to make sure you know what you're getting into. Summer is a great time and people here will likely convince you to visit then--but I contribute that effect to some sort of Stockholm syndrome.

What industry are you in? What is your education level? What are you looking for in a place to live? Are you married/have kids/etc? All of these answers will affect the advice.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM

107 posts, read 321,743 times
it's a dead zone!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 PM

43 posts, read 144,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismanpokerclub View Post
it's a dead zone!
Ahahahahaha, I love you more every time you post.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 PM

240 posts, read 1,096,013 times
Hi Mike,

I'm here in LA, but have been researching a relocation to North Dakota for several years now. If the economy had not continued to tank here, I would probably be there now. It would be helpful to know what you are looking for before directing you in any area.

In the past few years that I have been poking around, I have noticed quite a few people from California going up there and then deciding to come back here. So, the advice of visiting there during the winter months is probably very good advice, which I am going to take for myself too.

Also, if you are not yet settled on North Dakota, I've been noticing a lot of nice press and information about Sioux Falls, South Dakota too. It was recently selected as one of the best places to retire.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:46 PM

24 posts, read 50,144 times
ND is a great place to live. I lived in Fargo a few years back. Its a very young city and safe. People are freindly and if you want ig city Minneapolis and Winnipeg are just a few hours away. I would suggest a trip to Fargo before making your mind up. If you can make the first year there I believe you will love it !!!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:47 PM

428 posts, read 1,118,886 times
Don't listen to any negativity. Look at Job Service North Dakota for job listings. Here in Minot, we still have a lot of job openings for all types of people. North Dakota has one of the best education facilities and the lowest crime. Last year, in 2008, ND had 2 murders for the state. Not to bad. We do have cold winters so it's not for the weak hearted or the whiners.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:35 AM

268 posts, read 462,170 times
If you are serious about moving to ND be prepared for xenophobia in the small towns. Unless of course you have some kind of blood tie, then you will be totally accepted. I know in California xenophobia is just about nonexistant but it is alive and well in ND from what I have observed. It's not as strong in college towns or towns near military bases so start your adventure there. But even in those places getting a good job and not being a "local" is extremely tough. It's who you know, not what you know, again what I have observed. Even though most people outside of the state think it is cold and a backward place I think it has more going for it than California. It's a "sleeper" so...

Old 02-08-2009, 12:05 PM

50 posts, read 155,240 times
Smile A truly great place to be...

I was born and raised in California, lived in Oregon, Washington, North Carolina, Oklahoma, and finally North Dakota. I just moved here in September, and live in a moderate sized (for ND) town - Carrington, pop 2300.

Frankly, I haven't seen the same types of xenophobia here, than I did in Oklahoma. Everyone has been very friendly and super helpful. My daughter has familial ties on her father's side, but half-way across the state.

This is my first winter, and while driving in it has been a bit scary (was not used to it at all), it truly hasn't been nearly as awful as some would have new-comers believe. Of course if you need to be outside a lot, you might disagree.

All in all - I love it here. It's been a godsend to a single mother with a teenager and a desire to finally settle down permanently. Good luck with your move wherever that may end up being.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:59 PM

50 posts, read 122,331 times
I moved to Fargo from Southern California almost two years ago. I do think that it is safer here and cheaper to live here. Also, I think the job market is better here too. But...

The winters are very harsh. This is my second winter here. When it gets into the -20s it is almost too much to bear - being from sunny Calif.

The truth is that I am so homesick for California that I can barely stand it lately. I miss my friends, I miss my family.

I did get a good job though and truthfully, that is the only thing keeping me in ND at the moment... I'm thinking of moving in June... Once the kids are out of school, but I'm not completely sure yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota