Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you regularly attend the winter show?
yes 3 50.00%
no 3 50.00%
sometimes 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 17,292 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've watched for a long time with interest at what others have had to say about ND.
My husband, 3 kids and I, just finished a 3800 mile trek and selling at a week long winter show in Valley City ND and I wanted to send along my own .02 of the people and of North Dakota itself. (If you love Victorian "old town" charm, Valley City and Jamestown has just the thing!)
Spending my whole life in Southern California, I was in for the most pleasant shock in ND! These folks are some of the friendliest, helpful and down to earth people I have met. They welcomed us with open arms, and had such a realistic and simple view of life. Most of them had stories to tell, and the time to tell them. Several customers we saw many times at the show, and they would come up and remember us by name. We even had the mayor and several business people come up and introduce themselves to us.
Our children experienced the petting zoo, rodeo, truck pull, tractor pull, horse pull and everything else that the show had to offer, and watching things like the old tractor pull, you could see it was just plain, old fashion, good clean fun. The participants appeared to have a great time themselves, and even cheered the others on.
Throughout the show, we only heard 3 cuss words muttered in public, no freakish hair colors, wierd clothes, or face/body/tongue piercings that made them talk funny, look odd, or stand out. Most of the people we saw wore western wear and drove pick up trucks, but you could tell that it wasn't for "show" and the clothes were good and used, and so were the trucks.
The sense of loyalty to a product (like Chevy Ford, Case, or John Deere ONLY) or being "American made", or "Patriotic" is something I haven't really seen since the 1980's, but I very much enjoyed/appreciated it. (Even the vendors stood and removed their hat when the National Anthem was played in the nearby arena!)
They had a snow storm that dumped 27" right before we got there, and it was 10 below our first few days, but it hardly phased them. Within a few days, the roads themself were clear and dry.
We visited ND in September and initially liked the towns and the people. Many had lived there all their life and were contented to stay there. I am so glad that we had such a positive experience again. We are in process of moving to a tiny town 1/2 way between Valley City and Jamestown as we speak. (our family will increase the population by 25%!) I am really looking forward to the drastic changes we've seen.
Colleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 03:27 PM

242 posts, read 851,945 times
I've been to the winter show once! Haha, I know that isn't much help. I went in 2006 with a good friend of mine that is from a small town in North Dakota. I went to college in Grand Forks and enjoyed it thoroughly. North Dakota will always have a soft spot in my heart and there are many days that I spend wishing I were back at my apartment in Grand Forks where things were so much simpler than they are now.

Good luck on your move! I had so much fun at the Winter Show. My friend and I traveled far and wide to watch the rodeo and that one was just as good as any other we had seen!

Old 03-30-2007, 07:05 PM

103 posts, read 705,496 times
Default Welcome

Welcome to ND So Cal Colleen!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 AM

322 posts, read 1,232,660 times
If you can suck up the cold and snow you'll LOVE IT here! Slow paced, SAFE, friendly, laid back, loyal and REAL! WELCOME!!

Old 04-28-2007, 01:04 AM

2 posts, read 12,515 times
Im having a hard time finding a place to rent in valley city.I asked pple there if they know anyone that rents houses or something.If there is anyone that might be able to help with some names?that would be helpfulTHANK YOU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota