U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 AM

485 posts, read 659,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ldfuse View Post
I have an iPhone in Bismarck, but no 3G service in any state after Minnesota till Oregon.

Here is a short list of important data regarding our fine state.

The state's racial composition in 2005 was:
92.3% White (non-Hispanic);
5.3% Native American/Alaskan Native;
1.6% Hispanic, a category that includes people of many races;
0.1% Asian/Pacific Islander;
0.1% Black (non-Hispanic);
0.1% mixed race.

[I hope you like meat and potatoes.]

Along with having the most churches per capita of any state, North Dakota has the highest percentage of church-going population of any state.

[There was a lent menu taped to the Taco Johns intercom.]

North Dakota is the 19th largest state. [...] Est. population 2008 - 641,481

[Smaller population than most metropolitan suburbs]

I'm not saying there aren't decent aspects to this place, but if you value trying new things and exposing yourself to multiple cultures, this is nearly the worst state in the Union. Furthermore, you don't even have the mountains other desolate states have like Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho.
I am sorry but i think breaking things into numbers or putting people down as a percentage is wrong!If you are counted by a so called copmposition you should not be ranked by the color of skin!such as knowing if you are a minority!minoritys can look around and tell they are a minority!Without being put in a class of 1 or 2 percent!to make them feel less american! All north daotans or americans!i know of all percentages who have died in the war to be called americans!This is not a attack but just the way i feel!But i have found noth dakota to be a kind state to all! And the people i know don't break everyone in to a percentage!To me that would make someone feel left out being told they was 2% as if they did not know![not a attack but its american or not]

Last edited by JACK SAWYER; 03-19-2009 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: oops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:04 AM

485 posts, read 659,177 times
And i know that there are a few out spoken North Dakotan homosexual people who have been upset over me counting them as a stat and they did not like it is all i am trying to say!But i am not saying who because i do not want it to look as a persenal attack! when that is not my intention,god bles everyone!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:01 AM

43 posts, read 144,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
As a future resident of North Dakota, the state suits me just fine. I'm looking for an area that doesn't change much and believes in traditional values. I'm not into trying new things very much and don't care about diversity and other cultures. I would love to turn the clock back 50 years to a much simpler time. While I work in computer technology and it is changing at warp speed, part of me has a significant connection with the past. When I drive through North Dakota, I think that this is what America used to be. I won't have to put up with the rat race here in the Chicago area forever. There is light at the end of the tunnel and North Dakota is it for me.
I've definitely relaxed (for the better) since I moved here. But to your point, it's not the dichotomy of city-life and country-life with which I have my complaints, its the proactive aversion to new experiences. I want to surround myself with people who are passionate about living life by experiencing as many things as they can, which is arguably the anthesis of ND.

(Mod Cut/Off Topic)

Last edited by Thyra; 03-24-2009 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Off Topic

Old 03-24-2009, 05:27 PM

1,744 posts, read 4,975,164 times
North Dakota seems like kind of a cool place. I never really thought much of it and then checked out the pics in the picture thread. My GF visited some part of ND years ago and really liked it, maybe someday soon I'll come check it out. The infamous National Geographic article actually left a good impression in my mind too.

It's probably not a place I'd prefer to live, but it sounds like you have a good thing going up there.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 PM

139 posts, read 313,695 times
I lived in North Dakota for a few years and I loved it. Sure when comparing the socio-political viewpoints of most North Dakotans to mine, I'm very much and outsider, but generally I felt welcome. I moved there from North Carolina to escape a rapidly growing population, encroaching housing developments and taxes that rise by the hour it seems. I love the open plains the two-lane backroads and the absolute sense of isolation. ND doesn't have towering mountains, but there was never a shortage of outdoor activities when the urge came calling. Winters are brutal, but are often overexagerrated through the stereotype. I live in western Nebraska now (and I love it here too) but I frequently make little road trips to western ND in the event I need to "get lost" again.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:41 PM

999 posts, read 1,382,200 times
what is life in fargo like,how is the public transportation,the school system's,the public amenities, such as youth programs ,sports , after school activities, places for kids to go and be with there friends. Is it a city you can easily walk around in or do you need a car get around. Is there more adult orientated things to do,like shows,fine dining, you know things for all walks of life. Is Fargo a smaller sized city(say a population of 125,000)or is it more like a town(around 50,000)or am i just way off base.not trying to sound rude or offend anyone,i am just curious.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:04 PM

1,046 posts, read 2,100,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
what is life in fargo like
Cold and wet.

It's either the best or second best city in ND.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ats-catch.html

Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM

137 posts, read 295,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
what is life in fargo like,how is the public transportation,the school system's,the public amenities, such as youth programs ,sports , after school activities, places for kids to go and be with there friends. Is it a city you can easily walk around in or do you need a car get around. Is there more adult orientated things to do,like shows,fine dining, you know things for all walks of life. Is Fargo a smaller sized city(say a population of 125,000)or is it more like a town(around 50,000)or am i just way off base.not trying to sound rude or offend anyone,i am just curious.
About the population, the Fargo-Moorhead metro area has about 200,000 people and West Fargo is the fastest growing city in ND.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
As a future resident of North Dakota, the state suits me just fine. I'm looking for an area that doesn't change much and believes in traditional values. I'm not into trying new things very much and don't care about diversity and other cultures. I would love to turn the clock back 50 years to a much simpler time. While I work in computer technology and it is changing at warp speed, part of me has a significant connection with the past. When I drive through North Dakota, I think that this is what America used to be. I won't have to put up with the rat race here in the Chicago area forever. There is light at the end of the tunnel and North Dakota is it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota