U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,342,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As a Muslim living in a rural area I have faced some bigotry in a few small towns. But overall most often it has been directed towards my wife who is Native American, I do find both Bismarck and Fargo to be very tolerant of all people and even some small towns such as the one I now live in. I am not bery familiar with Grand Forks. I am familiar with Jamestown and Valley City I find them to be very acceptable. A few grouches but not enough to be an issue.

I feel Fargo is the most tolerant city in ND and it has a very diverse population.
Yes, Fargo is fine. The other places you cited are cities, by North Dakota standards. I'm speaking of the small towns. I cannot fathom revealing that you are Muslim in those places. I would hate for someone to pick up everything and move here, only to face prejudice, based in part because people on the internet were giving them a complete misrepresentation of what it is actually like.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 03:12 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Yes, Fargo is fine. The other places you cited are cities, by North Dakota standards. I'm speaking of the small towns. I cannot fathom revealing that you are Muslim in those places. I would hate for someone to pick up everything and move here, only to face prejudice, based in part because people on the internet were giving them a complete misrepresentation of what it is actually like.
I may not get as much static as other Muslims as I am Lithuanian. Few people picture a Lit as being Muslim. We get most static because my wife is Native American, not because she is Muslim.

Actually ND has quite a large rural Muslim population. Many were settlers from Syria and Lebanon some of which have family roots going back to before Statehood. Some of the early trading posts were founded by Muslims.

ND is the third largest producer of halal meat in the USA. You have to be Muslim to raise halal cattle.

I doubt if it is by accident the Air Force selected who they did as commander of the Missile sites in Montana and ND. He has to have good relations with the ranchers on which the silos are located: See HERE Although he is headquartered in Montana, ND Missile sites are also under his command.

Ross ND is the site of the First Mosque and Muslim Cemetary in North America. Although to be honest many Rural Muslims here do keep quiet about being Muslim. I'm probably the most vocal.

Odd that nobody here notices that a ND city is named Medina. DELETED ERROR There are an estimated 8,000 Muslims in ND 4,000 living in rural areas. Most of the rural ones are land owners and have roots in ND going back to before 1900.

But, I do have to agree with you life in many of the smaller communities can be rough for a non-White person.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 12-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Deleted an error I had made

Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,156,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I may not get as much static as other Muslims as I am Lithuanian. Few people picture a Lit as being Muslim. We get most static because my wife is Native American, not because she is Muslim.

Actually ND has quite a large rural Muslim population. Many were settlers from Syria and Lebanon some of which have family roots going back to before Statehood. Some of the early trading posts were founded by Muslims.
Wow. Lots of fun info, thanks!

I'd thought "Agassiz" was French or something like... where is it from? Some folks in Minn. used it as a kennel name (Labradors).

Old 12-22-2012, 09:25 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Wow. Lots of fun info, thanks!

I'd thought "Agassiz" was French or something like... where is it from? Some folks in Minn. used it as a kennel name (Labradors).
I am going to have to stand corrected on this. Your reply sent me searching.

I had confused Agassiz (Which is from the Swiss Agiez) with Agazzis which would have an Arabic origin, relating to the Aga or king. Variations pop up throughout the Arabic world. I saw just the Arabic root and did not realize a similar word with a different meaning occurs in another language. My apology to any I may have offended and Thank You for catching my error.

I'll now correct my above post.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,415,173 times
For what it's worth. I am heavily involved in rebuilding and restoring antique horse drawn equipment. Every year we take 6-10 rigs up to Bowman North Dakota, a town of 1500 people, to a large antique auction.

It's been mentioned that small towns tend to be more biased or forward about their predjudices then the larger towns/citys, and I would have to agree. The last trip I made to Bowman, we went up the night before and got there pretty late in the evening. We hadn't eaten so we decided to grab something before turning in. The local restaurants were closed and the only place to grab something was at the local waterin hole, which by the way, seems to serve better steaks than the restaurants. haha Anyhow, the place wasn't real busy, maybe 15 people in there. We sat at a table, that was a ways from the bar. There were 4 locals sitting at the table next to us, and 3 locals sitting at a table on the other side of us. We had been sitting there about 20 minutes and in walked a young (early 20's) black girl who walked up to the bar. I fully expected to hear rude comments from the tables on either side of us and was shocked to NOT hear anything rude or out of line. They did notice her and made comment of "I haven't seen her around town before, wonder if she's here for the auction they are having tomorrow?" There were some responses but absolutely nothing out of line. The young lady was in there about 20 minutes and had ordered some food to go. She drank a beer while she was waiting. The entire time, nothing was said that was out of line.

Now maybe Bowman is an exception, or maybe the 7 guys that we were withing ear shot of were exceptional, but I didn't hear anything that was out of line. Other than them mentioning what I stated above, they went back to their conversations.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 02-13-2013, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,562 times
We are a mixed couple who lives in Arizona and is entertaining the thought of taking a job in North Dakota, reading about how cold it gets in ND scares me.It is good to hear all the positive things that were said about this state. I would appreciate any and all info that would help me to make the decision to relocate. One more thing, the job could be in either ND or SD.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,393 times
I've lived in ND all my life and you won't really experience any OVERT racism (like, "we don't take kindly to you folks around here." unless you're Native American, which many North Dakotans are unfriendly toward). Racism is fairly rampant, but it won't be directed at a specific person, it's really not in the North Dakotan culture to be confrontational, most likely the person it's directed at will never hear it. But, as a member of the majority in the state I hear a lot of things about other people that make my blood boil where I can't imagine they would say something like, but they would never say it to the person it's directed at.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fworkman112 View Post
We are a mixed couple who lives in Arizona and is entertaining the thought of taking a job in North Dakota, reading about how cold it gets in ND scares me.It is good to hear all the positive things that were said about this state. I would appreciate any and all info that would help me to make the decision to relocate. One more thing, the job could be in either ND or SD.
Maybe you should spend a week up here during a cold week to see if it's something you think you could get used to and would be willing to live with. It might be good to see what you think about a 5 degree temperature with snow all over the place and slippery, snow-packed streets. If you and your spouse are hardy people, then you'll be able to get used to it, but would you want to?

On Monday I woke up early before going to work so that I could shovel the snow that piled up in front of my garage. The plow had plowed the parking lot, but I still had 1.5 feet of snow between my cars and the lot area. I had to shovel that stuff and then I had to knockdown and shovel a 3 foot overhang of snow that extended down from the roof of my garage. You wouldn't have to do that stuff all of the time, perhaps just a few times a year, but it's not fun.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Fargo is kind of ethnic since there seems to be many Sudanese refugees and other exotic African immigrants around.
Did I say "exotic immigrants"? According to this article, North Dakota has 1306 Bhutanese (yes, from Bhutan) immigrants and 889 of them are in Fargo. Bhutan? What/where is Bhutan?

Bhutan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly, North Dakota and Bhutan have about the same population, which means that North Dakota has one of the highest concentrations of Bhutanese in the entire world.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 AM

Oops! This is the link I meant to include to the article in the Fargo Forum:

Immigrant friends open Himalayan Grocery in Fargo | INFORUM | Fargo, ND
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or