U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 AM

625 posts, read 1,606,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
To put it bluntly, no. There are large numbers of Native American Indians in ND and they are by no means welcoming. (The whites and Indians have been at each other throats for generations.)

And since the rest of the state is almost 100 percent white, you will stick out like a sore thumb, and be stared at like a traffic accident wherever you go.

The people have a very strong and unusual accent, which you will not have, making you stand out even more.

Your children will not be happy since you can forget about diversity training for public school teachers, as well as the standard sensitivity type courses that people are required to undergo in so-called diverse areas.

Where did you get these ideas from? Have you ever lived here or even visited here?

Yes we have quite a few Native Americans, but they live mostly on or near the reservations. We do have a NA who lives next door to us here in Valley City (next town, 30 miles, east from Jamestown) who is a very nice person. There is an AfAm lady who lives kitty-corner over on the opposite corner of the block who is also very nice. She always stops to talk if I'm working in the yard when she's out for a walk.

In our town of 6000, I can think of about 6 AfAm (there's usually a few more during the school year when they come back to college), 2 NA, and we also have at least a dozen people from India who moved here with the software company, as well as 2 of the doctors at our clinic/hospital. I can only think of one person of Asian decent (another doctor) and her children are 1/2 white.

Yes, we are mostly white, but, if you're a halfway decent person, after the first little while, you should be OK. (Even a new white family will be looked over at first)

As far as having an accent, have you ever listened to yourself? Why is a midwestern accent generally prefered for television news people, radio announcers, TV game show hosts, and most television shows??????

I don't have any schoolage children, so I don't have any idea how they are treated in school, but at church & on the street I have never seen anything that would worry me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:46 AM

1,588 posts, read 3,456,970 times
I just read that Grafton has the largest percentage of Hispanics (10%) in North Dakota.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,449 times
Default Concerned parent

What type of entertainment is there in valley city , north dakota for blacks.

Is there a racial prolem here? I won't to know efore I send my son to school there?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:13 PM

177 posts, read 591,389 times
Quote:
you will stick out like a sore thumb, and be stared at like a traffic accident wherever you go.

The people have a very strong and unusual accent, which you will not have, making you stand out even more
Now that is just frikken funny!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:22 PM

43 posts, read 180,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkc9cnn View Post

Is there a racial prolem here? I won't to know efore I send my son to school there?
There is no entertainment for anyone, not even the whites.

I've been djing a bit out here (as in tech 12s) and found some people surprisingly accepting of my choices which would largely be dirty-south or west cost rap.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 PM

485 posts, read 903,229 times
Default lol

Quote:

You may be the entertainment there by asking that question,lol not the part abut being black,but asking about entertainment in vallet city,on sunday about the only thing open is church,and the drive to fargo is boring and not much in jamestown but it has a small i guess you could call it a mall!but i don,t know what the diffrence is between entertaining a black person than a white?could you explain it more clearly ?Does black people need diffrent entertainment than whites?I would give you some advise; i would not move there if you are wanting people to addapt to something that is so entertaining it is over other races heads!What kinda question is that anyway?with that kinda train of thaught ND may not be a place for you! Are you wanting for blacks only enertainment?good grief,Dont install that stuff in your childs head,But there is no rapping and break dancing on every corner,Please clarify what you are asking by that? i hope i am reading this wrong! You will be no better than the folks who live there!

Last edited by JACK SAWYER; 03-18-2009 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: mis spelled as alway's

Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Default race problem

Quote:

It sounds like your going to bring one with you with that kinda talk,yes your child will be forced to ride the bus with other color kids! yes your child will have to use the same water fountain to drink from,HOLD ON HERE IS A SHOCKER! Your child will have to use the same bathroom as white kids!unless he or she can hold it all day!And on Martin luther King day they shut the whole town down and people come from all over the world for the parade!So book your hotel at least two year in advance!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 AM

Default from the swamp

Quote:
To put it bluntly, no. There are large numbers of Native American Indians in ND and they are by no means welcoming. (The whites and Indians have been at each other throats for generations.)

And since the rest of the state is almost 100 percent white, you will stick out like a sore thumb, and be stared at like a traffic accident wherever you go.

The people have a very strong and unusual accent, which you will not have, making you stand out even more.

Your children will not be happy since you can forget about diversity training for public school teachers, as well as the standard sensitivity type courses that people are required to undergo in so-called diverse areas.
you must realy live in a swamp,that thing between the whites and natives is long passed,And i have good freinds on the reservation! if you show respect you will get respect in return,There are yo many myths about the native comunity!Go to the rez and be nice to people and you be surprised what respect you get back,But i would not go there with a chip on my shoulder? nice guys but some are pretty tuff when they got to be!On the other hand we may talk funny?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 PM

625 posts, read 1,606,726 times
Quote:

I have never heard of any racial problems if you're a half way decent person. I don't think I'd remembered to mention the college, so there's a few black kids here for that, too. I guess, truthfully, I can't really say anything about if there is or isn't any racism among the college age kids, but with the adults, it's pretty nonexistant. I would think (at least for the local kids) that if the kids don't see from their parents, that there'd not be much racism in their age group either.

The only problems I seem to remember were with a couple 'hot shot jocks' who couldn't or wouldn't speak understandable english (sounded like they were in a Los Angeles ghetto) and thought they could do as they pleased because they were jocks. They didn't last long... but it probably had more to do with wild parties or poor grades than racism.

I can't really say what the college age kids do for entertainment, our youngest is 26 and all 3 went to school up at UND in Grand Forks, so we didn't hear much about what went on.

I doubt there's any specifically 'black' entertainment as there are so few black kids around. Most I see are hanging out in a mixed group. We have the typical small town bars, cafes, a 2 screen movie theatre, a really nice museum, 2 golf courses, a skate park (right next to the college) and a coffee parlor.

There are, lots of sports year 'round at all levels...college, high school, and community adult and junior sports leagues, many opportunities if you are musical (community men's choir, women's choir, mixed choir, children's choir, several small vocal & instrumental groups, a community orchestra, etc) as well as a couple different community theatre groups, and of course, the high school and college each has it's own music & theatre things going on, too.

Pretty much, we don't see you as that 'different', so if you don't want or expect to be treated 'different' you probably won't be.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:12 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,156,808 times
Quote:
The problem with the native Americans is real and dangerous. They hate just about everyone that isn't one of them. Step onto their land without permission and you'll discover it the hard way.
Step onto my land without permission and I won't like you very much either, and I'm a ND-born Norske....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or