Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 PM

177 posts, read 686,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
The people have a very strong and unusual accent
And people don't have one in MA either!

It's the most pompous, arrogant accent around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Are there any churches or organizations that are of a historically Black fashion in ND? I would think Fargo, Grand Forks and Minot would be the places for such things, but is that the case?

Old 04-08-2009, 02:37 PM

419 posts, read 1,396,227 times
Not to my knowledge--there really isn't a black pentecostal or AME church in Fargo. St. John's Episcopalian over the river in Moorhead, MN has become home to many of the new Americans from Africa--Sudanese lost boys and others.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are there any churches or organizations that are of a historically Black fashion in ND? I would think Fargo, Grand Forks and Minot would be the places for such things, but is that the case?

I really doubt there are any in ND. I have seen black folks at Baptist, Assembly of God, Penticostal, Catholic, and other churches, and there is a black guy that goes to our Lutheran church. He has a white wife, tho, so maybe that's why he's at a whithe Norwegian/German church! I've never seen his wife at church tho, so who knows??????

Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,240 times
Ckhthankgod,
There may be some near the airbases. The only "traditionally black" organization I can think of off the top of my head is the Prince Hall Masons Lodge up in Emerado (by Grand Forks airbase).

Jack, I heartily recommend taking cold medicine according to the directions on the label. Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with black people wanting to have some opportunity to be part of some historically black institution. In my mind, it's no different than Norwegians wanting to go to Sons of Norway or men having a "guys' night out" without their wives. In any of these cases, it has more to do with being to touch base with people who have a common cultural background than it does with some superior attitude. If I was a minority in North Dakota, I would want to be able to have some venue in which to mingle with people who are culturally similar to me, even if it's just once per week or so.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
Ckhthankgod,
There may be some near the airbases. The only "traditionally black" organization I can think of off the top of my head is the Prince Hall Masons Lodge up in Emerado (by Grand Forks airbase).

Jack, I heartily recommend taking cold medicine according to the directions on the label. Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with black people wanting to have some opportunity to be part of some historically black institution. In my mind, it's no different than Norwegians wanting to go to Sons of Norway or men having a "guys' night out" without their wives. In any of these cases, it has more to do with being to touch base with people who have a common cultural background than it does with some superior attitude. If I was a minority in North Dakota, I would want to be able to have some venue in which to mingle with people who are culturally similar to me, even if it's just once per week or so.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for putting the question into proper perspective. You pretty much hit the nail on the head and I would think that a minority interested in or moving to North Dakota wouldn't care that much about being around Whites considering the demographics. Heck, such organization might actually be open to people of other backgrounds being involved with or coming to meet with people in such an organization to actually ("gulp") learn something new or different on a personal level.

I also was more curious than anything to see if such opportunites are available not only for people of that background, but for those that are interested in getting to know or find out thing about that and other cultures in the state. Thanks again TravisW.....

P.S. I found it interesting that Emerado has demographics like this:76.27% White, 5.49% African American, 6.86% Native American, 3.14% Asian, 4.51% from other races, and 3.73% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.86% of the population, actually in a community of about 510 people.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM

131 posts, read 214,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Though as an African American will I be welcomed and accepted as other people in ND?
You will stick out, I am thinking more so in Jamestown, then say Minot, or Grandforks. Major airforce bases at those towns.

I am currently white, 43, grew up in Minot, as a kid, area was almost all white, but no real tension that I was aware off. Maybe, some some childish stuff, but kids are kids. I was not aware of anything more then that.

Since I grew up, a large mexican population has developed because of agriculture (non existant when I was a kid)

Always been a large Indian population, but for some reason they seem to stay very close to the reservations.

Of course there are always idiots, but I have not been aware of any violence. Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM

488 posts, read 1,024,558 times
Default other culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for putting the question into proper perspective. You pretty much hit the nail on the head and I would think that a minority interested in or moving to North Dakota wouldn't care that much about being around Whites considering the demographics. Heck, such organization might actually be open to people of other backgrounds being involved with or coming to meet with people in such an organization to actually ("gulp") learn something new or different on a personal level.

I also was more curious than anything to see if such opportunites are available not only for people of that background, but for those that are interested in getting to know or find out thing about that and other cultures in the state. Thanks again TravisW.....

P.S. I found it interesting that Emerado has demographics like this:76.27% White, 5.49% African American, 6.86% Native American, 3.14% Asian, 4.51% from other races, and 3.73% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.86% of the population, actually in a community of about 510 people.
i think all state have mixed population! And other race people would be offended if whites wanted alone time with other whites? We live in a american culture! And i know other organizations are around that want to be with there own!And the ones i am thinking of are not respected for wanting to be with there own skin color! I think all churches in ND welcome all people! Right now i dont know of any racial problems in ND and i hope it stays that way!But moving to a place where most people get along no matter the color or culture! i would want to move there and live in the Nd culture and not want to start with that sort of thing! I see what it has caused in other places! I would first try to check out the ND culture! The population is small and i think you will have a hard time finding what your looking for? I hope your move to nd is nice for you,and i think you will fit in unless people feel there culture is not good enough for you? Then you may not feel so welcome! ND has mostly small towns and what you are asking about does not exist for the most part,And its not over the counter drugs talking,its the truth! I know places like california and other states that has large poulations those things are probably common? But not here[or would be a lot harder to find]If you look at the stats this person posted that is what your children will be going to school with and will likely have white freinds or a small chance of having other races for freinds according to the stats! You will likely find black freinds in nd,I am trying to tell you honestly,not trying to offend you,i would not want to see no one make a decision to move and be let down after moving! so best of luck on your move.i have never lived in another country to know the diffrence in what culture realy is?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
i think all state have mixed population! And other race people would be offended if whites wanted alone time with other whites? We live in a american culture! And i know other organizations are around that want to be with there own!And the ones i am thinking of are not respected for wanting to be with there own skin color! I think all churches in ND welcome all people! Right now i dont know of any racial problems in ND and i hope it stays that way!But moving to a place where most people get along no matter the color or culture! i would want to move there and live in the Nd culture and not want to start with that sort of thing! I see what it has caused in other places! I would first try to check out the ND culture! The population is small and i think you will have a hard time finding what your looking for? I hope your move to nd is nice for you,and i think you will fit in unless people feel there culture is not good enough for you? Then you may not feel so welcome! ND has mostly small towns and what you are asking about does not exist for the most part,And its not over the counter drugs talking,its the truth! I know places like california and other states that has large poulations those things are probably common? But not here[or would be a lot harder to find]If you look at the stats this person posted that is what your children will be going to school with and will likely have white freinds or a small chance of having other races for freinds according to the stats! You will likely find black freinds in nd,I am trying to tell you honestly,not trying to offend you,i would not want to see no one make a decision to move and be let down after moving! so best of luck on your move.i have never lived in another country to know the diffrence in what culture realy is?
I don't think people would care if Whites would ask that and if they do care, they would wonder why considering the reality of national demographics. Anyway, it seems like the people of ND are genuinelynice folks and I hope they stay that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota