U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:35 PM

2,956 posts, read 4,372,183 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of diversity in North Dakota. Ya, sure, ya betcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 12:41 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,156,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
There's a lot of diversity in North Dakota. Ya, sure, ya betcha.
Ja... Swedes, Norwegians, Danes, Germans, Scots; Cheyenne, Ojibwa, Dakotah, Mandan; sugar beet farmers, dairy farmers, wheat farmers, beef ranchers, cowboys, wildcatters, roughnecks ... ufda!!

Old 05-18-2009, 03:42 PM

485 posts, read 903,229 times
I think all the arrows and bullets have been long forgot in ND! The only ones that get attacked is the new out of state people moving in!....kidding..You can honestly go to any reservation in north dakota and no matter what color you are you will be treated with respect as long as you give it! Its no diffrent than most places....if you look hard for trouble you will find it! And some of these farmers and natives are as tough as any gang bangor you will come across! and as eaqually friendly for the most part!

Old 05-31-2009, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,136 times
I have only lived in north dakota for a few months, but I can say it feels like I have 'came home' the people are friendly, overly so sometimes, and very accepting of people from out of state - I hope to live the rest of my days here in this wonderful place - I couldn't imagine anyone not feeling welcome in this wonderful state no matter what race or color they happen to be.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:53 PM

485 posts, read 903,229 times
Yes there is nice people of all colers in ND

Old 06-04-2010, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,752 times
I have been living in Minot and Bismarck for the past eight years. I am black married to a super sweet white gentleman. It hasn't been easy for me to make friends, people are clickies, they stare, in thghis day an age!!! I am a qualified banker, but I can't find a job!! I have been through many interview, I was even bluntly told that this community is full with white germans that may not feel comfortable dealing with a black person!! I cried during the interview!! and this was just two months ago!! and no labor law will support me, the saying "it is an equal opportunity employer" doesn't mean anything. I have been turned down many times from jobs...Now, I am working in a job that has nothing to do with banking, minimum wage, very limited medical benefits. There isn't a black person, none, working in any bank in Bismarck...NONE!!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackinbismarck View Post
I have been living in Minot and Bismarck for the past eight years. I am black married to a super sweet white gentleman. It hasn't been easy for me to make friends, people are clickies, they stare, in thghis day an age!!! I am a qualified banker, but I can't find a job!! I have been through many interview, I was even bluntly told that this community is full with white germans that may not feel comfortable dealing with a black person!! I cried during the interview!! and this was just two months ago!! and no labor law will support me, the saying "it is an equal opportunity employer" doesn't mean anything. I have been turned down many times from jobs...Now, I am working in a job that has nothing to do with banking, minimum wage, very limited medical benefits. There isn't a black person, none, working in any bank in Bismarck...NONE!!!!
You sound like a nice sweet person yourself, but maybe a different perspective is needed here.

People stare at anything different. Face it, a black face is a rarity in Minot or Bismarck. That doesn't mean they automatically dislike you, but it does mean people will be curious. (They'd stare at someone with green hair, too.) In fact, many will stare because they're afraid to even say hello, for fear of being taken as "racist" in this era of political correctness.

As to the bank interview, that had to hurt, tho it was pretty brave of them to be that honest with you. But I'm thinking that rather than citing "equal opportunity laws" (no one makes friends by using that threat), you'd get a lot further by asking, "Then what can we (note I said WE, not I -- make the bank your partner in this, not an adversary) do to help our German friends become more comfortable with me?" That would at least get them thinking along those possibilities, instead of taking the situation as set in stone.

Another thing you might do is volunteer work somewhere highly visible, like the Red Cross, flood relief, a school, the public library, or wherever your face would be part of the picture and everyday folks could get to know you. Get people used to thinking of you as that reliably helpful pair of friendly willing hands, instead of the person they're not sure if they dare speak to (see my first paragraph, above). If someone stares, smile and say hello. Break the ice yourself, even if other people are afraid to do so.

And do remember that in the farming midwest, it takes ANY new person a long time to become accepted (sometimes a whole generation!), even if they look and act exactly like everyone else.

Hope things get better for you in the future.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:52 PM

418 posts, read 1,185,440 times
I was even bluntly told that this community is full with white germans that may not feel comfortable dealing with a black person!!

Another potential response the next time something like this comes up is something along the lines of "But ND communities are changing and becoming more diverse. I can help your company be welcoming to these new members of our community and expand your client base in a new direction."

Old 06-06-2010, 01:29 AM

17 posts, read 42,906 times
Interesting to read. I am actually half black and mexican and may move here in August to attend Jamestown college in the fall. I am from San Diego CA, so the weather will be a major change for me especially if it starts getting cold in August/September. And I read 8 months of winter? OMG.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzle View Post
Interesting to read. I am actually half black and mexican and may move here in August to attend Jamestown college in the fall. I am from San Diego CA, so the weather will be a major change for me especially if it starts getting cold in August/September. And I read 8 months of winter? OMG.
And if you're used to coastal S.D -- ND can be hotter in summer too! Hey, you'll get to experience all sorts of new weather all in one handy location. So what do you plan to study there? I lived there for about two seconds when I was a little kid.

Half black and half Mexican, eh? Betcha that drives demographics-surveys nuts trying to figure out how to categorize ya Would be an interesting genealogy to trace back a few hundred years (if difficult to do). I know we generally think of 'black' as one big lump of people, but there are many different cultures, genetic types, and historical lineages in Africa, just as there are in Europe and pre-Colombian America. You could have ancestors from several parts of all three continents!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or