U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 31,960 times

Advertisements

Hey ,
Kay-Den here .. I know this thread is like 300 years old lol but I've been doing a lot of research on North Dakota, and it seems like i would have to worry more about my accent than my race. My Mom is Jamaican/Dominican , and my dad is Brazilian/Asian I look mainly black but It looks like its not a problem in North Dakota which is pretty awesome.. Well I'm 20 From NYC.. I'll be attending school In ND come August.. and I have a Bad New York Accent lol ..I'm thinking I'll probably be entertainment lol..

Last edited by HiKayDen; 01-31-2011 at 05:34 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,154,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKayDen View Post
Hey ,
Kay-Den here .. I know this thread is like 300 years old lol but I've been doing a lot of research on North Dakota, and it seems like i would have to worry more about my accent than my race. My Mom is Jamaican/Dominican , and my dad is Brazilian/Asian I look mainly black but It looks like its not a problem in North Dakota which is pretty awesome.. Well I'm 20 From NYC.. I'll be attending school In ND come August.. and I have a Bad New York Accent lol ..I'm thinking I'll probably be entertainment lol..
True Your family history must be really interesting, what with all those different backgrounds!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:20 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,263,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKayDen View Post
Hey ,
Rare background

Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,196,070 times
I'm guessing you're majoring in Aviation at UND? I can't imagine why else a New Yorker would move to ND for college.

The biggest shock will be the weather. I live a few hours south of there near the SD border, and it gets brutal here. -40 windchill is not uncommon here, and it's even colder up in Grand Forks. You can see -40 air temperature (not wind chill) and -75 windchill up there. Frigid.

I'm also multiracial - black (African-American), Native American (Cherokee mostly) and white (German, French, Dutch, Irish) and I've never faced any discrimination around here. People don't care what color you are.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:26 PM

979 posts, read 3,349,464 times
I'm sure you will find the most diversity in towns like Fargo, Grand Forks, Bismarck and Minot. I know even Dickinson has quite a few foreign students attending Dickinson State. I ran across this article in the Minot paper about Williston State offering English to non-speaking english because of the numerous foreigners in Williston due to the oil boom. Not saying this makes Williston diverse, but apparantly there are quite a few foreigners in that town that gives it a little diversity.

Williston college to offer English for non-native speakers - MinotDailyNews.com | News, sports, business, jobs - Minot Daily News

Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,681 times
I am moving to Bismarck and I need a roommate untill I find my own place--I am african.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:10 PM

110 posts, read 160,105 times
Redroses says "I would love to move to somewhere like MN, ND, SD, oregon or Idaho or Wyoming, but my friends have made it clear that they have no ethnic people in those places"
Just so you know, in Oregon, there is quite a lot of diversity... not as much as other places, but still I have never seen an issue with that here in the Portland area.

Last edited by Oh-Happy-Day; 07-01-2011 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add the quote so people knew who I was refering to

Old 03-10-2012, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,067 times
I am a black person here in New Jersey and seriously considering moving to where the good paying jobs are at in North Dakota. How is the race relations there between the Indians, blacks, whites, asisans, hispanics? What towns are more diversity?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM

52,614 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward38 View Post
I am a black person here in New Jersey and seriously considering moving to where the good paying jobs are at in North Dakota. How is the race relations there between the Indians, blacks, whites, asisans, hispanics? What towns are more diversity?
Fargo, Grand Forks and Minot among maybe a few others. US2010

US2010

US2010

and more info here: US2010

Old 03-10-2012, 03:32 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward38 View Post
I do want to caution that the higher paying jobs are related to oil and other area jobs in demand in the oil regions of the state such as trucking, welding, construction, etc. Outside the oil patch, while there are more jobs available than in many other areas of the nation at the present, wages are not necessarily going to be higher. Your cities outside of the boom area, such as Fargo and Grand Forks, which are the most diverse due to universities, wages for most jobs may well be below what they are in New Jersey.

If you do want to head west, read the other threads about housing. But by all means if you want to try something new head out here. Native Americans and whites have had some of the worst relations over history just due to the fact that native Americans make up the largest ethnic group besides whites. Fargo and Grand Forks are receiving points for many African refugees of late and have seen their share of black populations increase quite a bit from what they were 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or