Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Are Black people accepted in North Dakota? I was thinking of retiring to Jamestown ND because an old friend had lived there and always talked about how wonderful the people are in that town. He lived all over the United States and said the people in North Dakota were the finest in the United States. He really liked Jamestown where he lived for 7 years.

Though as an African American will I be welcomed and accepted as other people in ND?
Yes, you will. If you join civic groups, go to church or community events so people get to know you. In general in small towns no matter what color you are, even after 20 yrs you might still be an outsider. But, Jamestown is a bit larger. They have very friendly folks whenever I've been through there, as in most decent sized N.D. towns. A plus might be it is still away fro the oil where there are so many new faces and U.S. regional differences that no one is gonna feel a sense of community there for along time. I hope you do like Jamestown if you decide to locate there. There is a different way of life in the Dakotas....most of us love it. There are also other towns, Fargo, Grand Forks. I think Jamestown still has that small town feel that seems a bit lacking in Grand Forks, and Fargo imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyanka View Post
I'm interviewing for a high profile job out in North Dakota in a couple of weeks. I'm African American married to Eur-Asian. I have heard that it is a nice place to raise children and that, while there is not much diversity, it is growing and that the people are welcoming. I will probably live in near a college which might make a difference. On the other hand, my family and I are very much looking for a slower lifestyle. It is something we've talked about for some time. Getting out of the city and away from crime, keeping up with Jones' etc. When I get back from my trip, I'll let you know. If anyone has any insight into the race relations out there, I'd love to hear.
You already have a good sense. In North Dakota while there may be some underlying racial issues a person might bring w/ them, relocated folks etc. For the most part things are very accepting. We have every aspect of folks here in Grand Forks, no one is gonna stop and point fingers at another race, we are way to polite and reserved for that lol. Most folks think N.D. is boring. Evidently it isn't in a few areas west.
I personally have grown to love the plains....you can see forever when you drive, and w/ the seasons are the simple things in life....a new calf...crops growing, ripened wheat or sunflowers waving majestically. I love it.

But, you normally see all races no matter where you go. Folks in mixed marriages never seem to be anything but relaxed out shopping, so I gauge racial prejudice on that coming originally from So. Calif. There are undoubtedly issues, but they are not gonna be in your face issues. I see kids riding bike, playing soccer all ages all races. It isn't a thing....your small children will have and make good friends, no matter the different races. It is a concern I'm sure. Personally when I moved here 30 years ago, I regretted not having other cultures, I thought my kids were missing out. It has changed a lot in 30 years. Mellow but not stunted here.
And, in the larger areas, Fargo, Grand Forks, Bismarck, Minot....there can be ugly elements no matter what race is involved. I think people more look at your behavior, your work ethic, if you head nod as you approach someone....that's an acceptable greeting here.....or the finger wave on the steering wheel.....another norm.....You will fit in. Be aware of the winter weather issues which can be major concerns. But overall I wouldn't be afraid to recommend Eastern N.D. to anyone, or any culture or race. Come on over....

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,453 times
Dingler, ND is a very nice place to live and every race is welcome and accepted. We have a lot of diversity in ND due to the bases and the oil field. The natives are not hateful either, that is such a dumb comment. I have lived in Minot my whole life and yes much of ND is mostly white but there are many races like I said. The one thing I think we all hate is the oil industry coming in and raising our cost of living and the oil riggers that come in from out of state and act like they run things and trash places. Now all of the oil riggers are not bad but there are some who are and that is one of our biggest issues in ND not someones race.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,292 times
I am a African American Black female from Atlanta Georgia, I wanted to know how I would be preceived, I an an attactive 54 year old female, with a degree in Public Health, looking to work in the oil field as a HSE, How are Black southerners receive in North Dakota

Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM

14 posts, read 33,333 times
Currently, we all look identical: Bundled from head to toe and cold.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 AM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena Dotson View Post
I am a African American Black female from Atlanta Georgia, I wanted to know how I would be preceived, I an an attactive 54 year old female, with a degree in Public Health, looking to work in the oil field as a HSE, How are Black southerners receive in North Dakota

Race doesn't matter as much as your attitude. You'll pretty much be treated the way you treat others.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
Race doesn't matter as much as your attitude. You'll pretty much be treated the way you treat others.
I agree...knowing my in-laws who live in rural areas south of Minot....if you work hard....treat others with respect... you will be fine....

Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 AM

I'll add, there is a shortage of women in the Bakken oil fields....You'll probably have lots of suitors...Have no fear of racism here...N.D. is a very good place. The Eastern half has lots of different cultures...You can always pop over for a weekend and enjoy our shops etc.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tynkrbelle82 View Post
Currently, we all look identical: Bundled from head to toe and cold.
ROTFLMAO!!!! Oh, you got that one right!!!

In fact, for the next couple months you may have trouble telling the bears from the humans.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Fargo is kind of ethnic since there seems to be many Sudanese refugees and other exotic African immigrants around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota