Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,135 times

Advertisements

I am black planning to move to Fargo. I have no one there and I am simply wanting a complete new start with my career and my life. I am fairly well qaulified with two Masters degree (including an MBA) and currently pursuing my Doctorate. I plan to just get on the plane and turn up in Fargo, ND with the optimistic hope to land a job as quickly as possible. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,079,526 times
Two Masters degrees? Wow! What are your degrees in, and what's your Doctorate goal?

Anyone who can accomplish that, I think can do just fine anywhere.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,033,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfargo View Post
I am black planning to move to Fargo. I have no one there and I am simply wanting a complete new start with my career and my life. I am fairly well qaulified with two Masters degree (including an MBA) and currently pursuing my Doctorate. I plan to just get on the plane and turn up in Fargo, ND with the optimistic hope to land a job as quickly as possible. What do you all think?
I suspect that you'll have as much difficulty finding an MBA-utilizing job in Fargo as you would elsewhere. Such jobs are sought out by people on a national basis, so the people competing for such jobs are not just located in Fargo, but across the country.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,137,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena Dotson View Post
I am a African American Black female from Atlanta Georgia, I wanted to know how I would be preceived, I an an attactive 54 year old female, with a degree in Public Health, looking to work in the oil field as a HSE, How are Black southerners receive in North Dakota
As has happened in previous threads similar to this one, there is a disservice being done to you and others. If you were to consider a move to Fargo or even Grand Forks, I wouldn't hesitate in telling you to go for it. You would undoubtedly experience some prejudice at some point, but I would imagine you will experience that anywhere. However, the idea that rural North Dakota is this beacon of racial tolerance is grossly inaccurate. It has significant issues, and not just with the overt racism towards the Native American populations, which can be downright repulsive at times.

I could share many anecdotal stories. You should understand that the culture here of not saying things in public tends to hide some of the prejudice that lies right below the surface. Sometimes it boils up to the surface. You might want to consult some national articles in the days after the presidential election regarding Facebook and Twitter posts. The sentiments expressed are not the work of just a "few bad eggs." These sentiments are widespread and particularly bad as you move west in the state.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,135 times
I am not overly concern about the occasional racism (if it does show its head). By nature we all as human beings have a natural tendency to find something on which we will seek to decriminate against others. My goal is to explore the opportunities Fargo, ND may present and to make the best of the opportunities to advance my career goals, quality of life and hopefully in the process positively impact others on the journey.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:14 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,972,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfargo View Post
I am not overly concern about the occasional racism (if it does show its head). By nature we all as human beings have a natural tendency to find something on which we will seek to decriminate against others. My goal is to explore the opportunities Fargo, ND may present and to make the best of the opportunities to advance my career goals, quality of life and hopefully in the process positively impact others on the journey.
If you are not used to rural areas the bigger shock will be the lack of what you find in the large cities of the east coast. Racism is not a major issue. Fargo has a sizable number of people from Somalia, I have not seen any problems.

The big issue will be adapting to small community living and near Arctic Weather conditions. I am long retired and have not paid any attention to the job market. But there are no major corporations located in the area except in the Health care field.

Quote:

Largest employers Number of employees

MeritCare Health System 6,100

North Dakota State University 3,391

Fargo Public School District Number One 1,320

Dakota Clinic, Ltd. 1,200

Microsoft 960

US Bank Service Center 925

City of Fargo 750

Innovis Health 740
SOURCE

Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,875 times
my boyfriend is a black dominican republican and i am a black jamaican independent
he wants to move to north dakota for his own personal reason i wanted to go untill i heard that the state is 90% white
in my country black,white,indian everyone is a jamaican but american is different
i'm a loving person and would be miserable to go some where and feel unwelcomed or mistreated because im dark and would not want my child to go through that either. so i too has been doing research about the state on hate crimes but have not had luck finding the info i need

Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,079,526 times
mrsha113 -- You aren't finding much on "hate crimes" in ND because there's not much to find. America is a big place, with all different sorts of people, and contrary to how the news media blows it up, MOST of us don't care if you're black, white, green, or plaid, so long as you're good people.

I will say that if you have the typical lovely Jamaican accent, you'll probably have people following you around just hoping to hear your voice!! I've met a few people from Jamaica myself. Good folks.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,137,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsha113 View Post
my boyfriend is a black dominican republican and i am a black jamaican independent
he wants to move to north dakota for his own personal reason i wanted to go untill i heard that the state is 90% white
in my country black,white,indian everyone is a jamaican but american is different
i'm a loving person and would be miserable to go some where and feel unwelcomed or mistreated because im dark and would not want my child to go through that either. so i too has been doing research about the state on hate crimes but have not had luck finding the info i need
Basing a move upon hate crime percentages would be a particularly poor method of deciding. North Dakota is a low-crime state in general. I take it your concerns extend past whether you will be murdered or physically assaulted. I would assume you also want to live in a place that is tolerant and culturally compatible. Again, if you move to Fargo or even Grand Forks, I would have no problems in recommending the move. If you're considering the rural areas of the state, I cannot attempt to dissuade you enough. Do not uproot your life based upon "happy talk" you read on the internet from people who do not have your best interests at heart. Mostly due to cultural deprivation, the rural parts of North Dakota contain a lot of hostility towards non-whites. The worst of it is directed towards Native Americans, and it's as vile as anything you will hear or see in America, but there is still some left over for members of other minority groups.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,972,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Basing a move upon hate crime percentages would be a particularly poor method of deciding. North Dakota is a low-crime state in general. I take it your concerns extend past whether you will be murdered or physically assaulted. I would assume you also want to live in a place that is tolerant and culturally compatible. Again, if you move to Fargo or even Grand Forks, I would have no problems in recommending the move. If you're considering the rural areas of the state, I cannot attempt to dissuade you enough. Do not uproot your life based upon "happy talk" you read on the internet from people who do not have your best interests at heart. Mostly due to cultural deprivation, the rural parts of North Dakota contain a lot of hostility towards non-whites. The worst of it is directed towards Native Americans, and it's as vile as anything you will hear or see in America, but there is still some left over for members of other minority groups.
As a Muslim living in a rural area I have faced some bigotry in a few small towns. But overall most often it has been directed towards my wife who is Native American, I do find both Bismarck and Fargo to be very tolerant of all people and even some small towns such as the one I now live in. I am not bery familiar with Grand Forks. I am familiar with Jamestown and Valley City I find them to be very acceptable. A few grouches but not enough to be an issue.

I feel Fargo is the most tolerant city in ND and it has a very diverse population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota